• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention Holsters are for Protection from the Police

SQLtables

imported post

Well, here it is...

I needed windshield washer fluid for my car, so I decided to stop at the only gas station in Grayling that wasn't packed with cars already. It happened to be the Shell station, and coincidentally there was also a Grayling PD car at one of the pumps. I went in and asked for washer fluid and got a pop. The cop was just walking around the store talking to the female employee.

I went back up to the counter and paid for my items. While she was handing my change back, the officer walked behind me and the next thing I know, I feel a hard pull on my gun. The officer was trying to pull it out of my holster! :what: I swung my arm down to stop this. I turned and looked at thim and said "EXCUSE ME?!?!" Since I use a Serpa, he didn't get my gun out.

He asked "What makes you think you can do that?" and I just responded "the law". At this point, I knew it was a cop, so I just crossed my arms to eliminate the chance of him thinking I was reaching for my gun. He held my gun firmly the entire time I was in there. He never let go until I was walking out. He told me I was "Brandishing a firearm" and that there is no law that states I can carry like that. He even told me that police officers can't even carry like that, which confused me... maybe he meant off duty???

Since he had gone so far as to grab my gun, I assumed he was going to at least put me in cuffs, so I didn't really say a word to him. He apparently assumed I had a CPL because he said "You have a CCW. Use it!" and THEN he asked to see my "CCW". I complied, just to avoid further complications if/when he arrested me.

He said what I was doing was illegal a couple more times and then just told me to cover up from now on. I was surprised he didn't arrest me.. I asked for a business card and he seemed more than happy to give me one, but then he decided that "while we're trading info, let me see that CCW again" and he wrote down all of the info from it.

At that point, I told the employee thank you (after she came back from the other side of the store where she ran to when she saw the cop grab my gun) and walked out and filled my washer fluid and left.

So, I think we're talking assault, being illegally detained, and of course the unexcusable recklessness of the officer by trying to steal my gun. He put me AND the woman at the counter in danger for no reason. He never even announced he was a police officer when he was grabbing my gun. I can't imagine that this behavior is part of any training course.

ETA: I messed up the title :( Maybe it'll magically get fixed?;)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bet your heart must have skipped a beat. My adrenaline would be pumping if I felt something like that on my belt. It would have been all I could do to refrain from chewing him out! :cuss:

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Nail his ass to the wall! I'm afraid to admit that if I were in your shoes I probably would have been arrested, much credit to you because I never would have stood for that shit. I would take every possible legal action I could against this officer.

SQLtables

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
I bet your heart must have skipped a beat. My adrenaline would be pumping if I felt something like that on my belt. It would have been all I could do to refrain from chewing him out! :cuss:
Yes. In the back of my head I knew it was the cop because nobody else had entered the store.... but that doesn't really help much when it happens. I couldn't believe it.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Yes.  In the back of my head I knew it was the cop because nobody else had entered the store.... but that doesn't really help much when it happens.  I couldn't believe it.

My first reflex motion would probably have given him a broken arm or a broken nose. I wonder how that would play out in court...

ETA: I say this because he grabbed the gun without announcing who he was or why he felt he had the right to do such a thing. I would have taken such action as a threat on my life and reacted accordingly.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jeebus, I'm surprised you didn't hurt him, or worse. Guy in cop suit or no, grabbing gun= swift defensive action, I would think.

I'm interested to see where this one goes...

Michigander

imported post

Sounds to me like the guy is just an idiot. It's hard for me to imagine what I would do in your shoes, it's really a strange situation. I just hope that whatever you choose to do will result in the PD there having a complete and utter understanding that OC is legal.

THway

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Sounds to me like the guy is just an idiot. It's hard for me to imagine what I would do in your shoes, it's really a strange situation. I just hope that whatever you choose to do will result in the PD there having a complete and utter understanding that OC is legal.
its not so much them understanding that OC is legal in this case at hand... here its more so that the PD knows that assault is ILLEGAL....

please see my avatar... thank you

warlockmatized

imported post

When grabbed from behind I tend to swing first and ask questions later. Yhis could have been a lot worse. Hope you do something about this Nate.

Hmmm OC gathering in Grayling, anyone?

Michigander

imported post

When the weather warms up, I suggest that we do an open carry CAMPING TRIP. Distance is an issue, but not if we carpool. I can make arrangements to use my brothers van and put the seats back in it.

I love Grayling, and I am on board with any good reason to go there. We could walk around town, perhaps even go shooting at the gun club, maybe have a picnic at Hartwic Pines. LET'S DO IT!!!

Michigander

imported post

THway wrote:
its not so much them understanding that OC is legal in this case at hand... here its more so that the PD knows that assault is ILLEGAL....

please see my avatar... thank you
Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem with grabbing em by the balls and then forcefully yanking back, (figuratively speaking). What that guy did was not excusable. But there are a number of different ways that this could be approached.

For instance, when I got badly and illegally screwed by a cop earlier this year, I took the attitude that I was willing to forgive him if he would straighten out his act. But I had no problem with suggestions that he should be fired. Opinions are an individual thing, and they vary.

Again, regardless of the way that this is pursued, I hope that the PD gets its shit together in regards to lawful carry of weapons.

warlockmatized

imported post

Michigander wrote:
When the weather warms up, I suggest that we do an open carry CAMPING TRIP. Distance is an issue, but not if we carpool. I can make arrangements to use my brothers van and put the seats back in it.

I love Grayling, and I am on board with any good reason to go there. We could walk around town, perhaps even go shooting at the gun club, maybe have a picnic at Hartwic Pines. LET'S DO IT!!!
HELL YEAH!

adam40cal

imported post

In all honestly I would have punched him as soon as I felt that tug on my gun; people get real defensive when you start grabing on them.

That does count as assault as far as I know, from my understanding of the law ( I don't have time to look it up right now ) any unwanted contact (unless under the authority of the law) is assault. And him trying to unlawfully take your gun might even be a felony! I"m gonna have to research this one.