• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC

BMW Racer

imported post

A few new-to-this questions...

Saturday, I took my two daughters (11 and 5) to a friend's farm Christmas party in Caswell County. On the way there and back to Raleigh,I had my Ruger 9mm in a holster on my left hip, butI put it in the glovebox and locked the car when we got there, due to children running around and some good, liberal folks there.

1. Is it legal for me to keep it on my left hip, while driving? I plan to keep my hands on the wheel and immediately inform an LEO if I get stopped or get to a DWI checkpoint.

2. I have a "salesman's caddy" on the passenger seat when I'm out working and I keep it in the holster, and in the open-top caddy and in plain view. I'm assuming this is legal.

3. If I'm on private property, can I legally store it in the glove box? Whenever I visit a customer's facility (commercial buildings) I always take it out of the caddy and put it in the unlocked glovebox before I go in the building.

4. If I'm wearing a coat and it partially (or mostly) covers my gun on my hip, is this considered"concealed", or does it have to be totally covered to be concealed? Does a little (bottom third of the holster and the barrel) showingand out from under my coat constitute OC?

Saturday, I kept it on my left hip when I filled up with gas and since I paid at the pump, I stayed near my car. It felt a little weird but not too uncomfortable. Some people were walking around but no one saw it.

I want to OC more, especially considering the recent kidnapping in Durham of a bank manager and his 13 year-old daughter. And I want my children to feel comfortable whenI OC. Itold my 11 year-old daughter and 9 year-old son that OC is perfectly legal and that I only do it for our personal protection. They seemed ok with it.

Thanks for any advice on the questions above.

partemisio

imported post

BMW Racer wrote:
A few new-to-this questions...

Saturday, I took my two daughters (11 and 5) to a friend's farm Christmas party in Caswell County. On the way there and back to Raleigh,I had my Ruger 9mm in a holster on my left hip, butI put it in the glovebox and locked the car when we got there, due to children running around and some good, liberal folks there.

1. Is it legal for me to keep it on my left hip, while driving? I plan to keep my hands on the wheel and immediately inform an LEO if I get stopped or get to a DWI checkpoint.
I have been told that it will depend on the officer. Some might consider it concealed since they can't easily see it. Nevertheless, I have mine on my right hip when in the car.

2. I have a "salesman's caddy" on the passenger seat when I'm out working and I keep it in the holster, and in the open-top caddy and in plain view. I'm assuming this is legal.
Don't understand what you are asking since I don't know what a salesman's caddy is.

3. If I'm on private property, can I legally store it in the glove box? Whenever I visit a customer's facility (commercial buildings) I always take it out of the caddy and put it in the unlocked glovebox before I go in the building.
If you are not in the car it can be in the glovebox. It can be in there unlocked anytime if you have a ccw license. It can be in there locked anytime without a ccw license.

4. If I'm wearing a coat and it partially (or mostly) covers my gun on my hip, is this considered"concealed", or does it have to be totally covered to be concealed? Does a little (bottom third of the holster and the barrel) showingand out from under my coat constitute OC?
Again, depends on the officer. There are some I know that will say since you can see it that it is open. And there are some that will say it is concealed or you tried to conceal it.

Saturday, I kept it on my left hip when I filled up with gas and since I paid at the pump, I stayed near my car. It felt a little weird but not too uncomfortable. Some people were walking around but no one saw it.

I want to OC more, especially considering the recent kidnapping in Durham of a bank manager and his 13 year-old daughter. And I want my children to feel comfortable whenI OC. Itold my 11 year-old daughter and 9 year-old son that OC is perfectly legal and that I only do it for our personal protection. They seemed ok with it.

Thanks for any advice on the questions above.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

1. That depends on the officer. Think of it this way: If you go to a restaurant and sit in a booth, you can't see your weapon, but you have not concealed it. Some people say a car is different.

2. Yes, that is legal.

3. In the glove box when you are not in the car is perfectly fine. In the glove box while you are IN the car isa no-no unless you have a CHP. It does not matter if the glovebox is locked or not. This is what I have been told repeatedly. I will wait for someone to site the law on the contrary before I change my stance.

4. It depends on the officer. I would not want to push it though.

Welcome to OC

partemisio

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
In the glove box while you are IN the car isa no-no unless you have a CHP. It does not matter if the glovebox is locked or not. This is what I have been told repeatedly. I will wait for someone to site the law on the contrary before I change my stance.

Welcome to OC
It is just like having it locked in the trunk. Part of it being concealed means it must be easily accessible. Being locked in the glovebox or locked in the center console is considered to not be easily accessible.

BMW Racer

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
1. That depends on the officer. Think of it this way: If you go to a restaurant and sit in a booth, you can't see your weapon, but you have not concealed it. Some people say a car is different.

2. Yes, that is legal.

3. In the glove box when you are not in the car is perfectly fine. In the glove box while you are IN the car isa no-no unless you have a CHP. It does not matter if the glovebox is locked or not. This is what I have been told repeatedly. I will wait for someone to site the law on the contrary before I change my stance.

4. It depends on the officer. I would not want to push it though.

Welcome to OC
I like the booth comment. Makes sense to think of it that way. And the only reason I have it on my left hip is that I'm left handed. Thanks to everyone for the comments. I now feel alot more comfortable carrying.

TFED12

imported post

The question was "Is it legal ?". It does NOT depend on the officer if it is legal or not. The law is the law. Yes, you may have issues with different officers. But, the officer does not make the law. Will an officer detain or arrest you? Possibly. But, if you are legal, then you you have a case. Will it cost you money, time and headache? Yes. Again, the question was about legality. Not an officers opinion.

JM2C

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Personal advice, not legal references:

Keep the firearm out of the glove box, locked or not,while you're in the car. It only takes a few seconds to turn a key and open the glove box. You may be ok if the firearm locked in the glove box wasunloaded with no ammo near by, but I wouldn't push it.

If the grip of your handgun isn't visible, then it's concealed. Again, I'm not referring to anything legal here, I'm just giving you my personal advice based on common sense.

Keep it visible, and take care of yourself. You'll be fine. :D