• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spring 2009 Colorado OC BBQ

Equinox

imported post

This thread was created in response from another thread in which we were thinking of having an OC get together. We're thinking during Spring 2009 sometime, perhaps with some media coverage. Details TBD...

Who's in?

ecgoin

imported post

:idea:I would think mid May. Being a house painter, I know the weather is getting pretty stable about then. I would also suggest we meet outside, there should be more eyes, therefor more public contact made. For any media that's interesting for us, we should fire e-mails to them about 2 weeks in advance with a link or 2 to this thread, and which ever others are relevant. some other state boards are thinking the same way. CT is starting plans. North CA has a thread. Maybe all states could get together on the same day. That should be news worthy. The media will look around OCDO a bit, so keep the bashing light hearted. Well, OK, at least not RUDE.

Any reporters, DJ's, columnists, or just active bloggers care to comment?

Any LEO comments?

It must be time to start a new thread for national input. We have like minded, and knowledgeable folks around these parts.

Oh, yeah, lime jello thing is still in my plan. :uhoh:

PS Welcome MrRight!!

ACEllis

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas,
imported post

Without out a doubt I'm in... but the question remains... which town? We have to make it accessible to everyone from Boulder/Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs to get the most out of it... and how about the financing? Its a little too soon to be taking donations for burgers, brats, and drinks. How is that going to be handled?

And on a side note, any Colorado politicians that support unfettered gun rights we could contact and get support or a cameo from?

AC

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Well being that it's an open carry gathering, Denver is out....

Because it's so gun friendly, I'd suggest El Paso county and specifically invite Sheriff Terry Makita. As for particular locations, Fox Run Regional Park on the north edge of town between COS and Monument is a nice location for this.

delp1213

imported post

Im in. Would have to be before april 15th though, leaving for iraq then. and on a weekend since we will be training every day until then

SANDCREEK

imported post

Spring 2009 will mark a year that I have practiced OC in the Colorado Springs area.

I've shared myfrequent opinionson OC onthis and another forum - so I am definitely interested in a public OC event. Let's do it.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Naturally I'm in.
Wondering tho, if Memorial Day would be appropriate? Or perhaps 4th of July (or adjoining weekend)? We can put some meaning to either of those two holidays in that we're rejoicing and directly exercising our Constitutional Rights.
Or we could do two picnics: Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Or all three!!! But I'm getting ahead of myself.

ACEllis

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas,
imported post

Suggestion: How about a less publicized, smaller get together at some food venue to test the waters for turn-out? As soon as we see a decent number, we step it up a notch.

I'd like to hear from the VCDL folks on how they organize such successful meets. Anything extra precautions we should take or methods of organizing?

AC

ecgoin

imported post

ACEllis wrote:
Suggestion: How about a less publicized, smaller get together at some food venue to test the waters for turn-out? As soon as we see a decent number, we step it up a notch.

AC

Good idea. We can make it a planning meet as well as a water tester if we are more than ??# strong. So I suppose it should be indoor.A restaurant, recreational facility, range. First half of Feb.?

Anyone know how Golden might handle this? Of course Aurora started this thing. Near Denver I would think is most central.I'm an OC beginner so I don't have anyspecific location recommendation.I will do some scouting. N. and W.

I like the theory.Let's just git'er done!

Evil Ernie

imported post

We can kill two birds with one stone here.
We can use the smaller restaurant (the Boulder Robin sounds good) meeting to plan out the BBQ. With that in mind, we should start coming up with some kind of committee to handle the arrangements of prelim BBQ meetings and the BBQ itself.
We'll need:
Someone to arrange the location itself (scouting, phonecalls, ordinance research, etc)
Someone to call/invite the Local LEO and Sheriffs Dept along for the ride.
Someone to call/invite the media.
Someone to call/invite local politicians who are sympathetic to our cause.
Someone to call/invite local organizations such as RMGO, Local NRA, gun club reps, and possibly even (dare I say) local dealers.
Someone to head up food/beverage/grills/shelters/cleanup, etc.

The bigger the better. We can get good media coverage and get to know the Local LEO's/politicians.

Golden sounds like a good spot, as does Monument, CO Spgs, Parker, or even C Rock.

So....who wants to be head poobah for this lil git together?

ecgoin

imported post

Well I'm RMGO/NRA member. I can pop off e-mail pretty quickly. I am looking into membership at a range, just don't know which one, or if I should even do a membership.Lead Valley Range (.com) may be where I go. They are still under construction, but open for business. I want to meet with an owner out there Sun. to look around. I'll bounce the thought off him for sure. The 14th, Sun. is the last day of discounted memberships. We'll see.

I have some work in Boulder, I'll pop into the red robin for lunch next week. Ask a question or two.

I nominate Evil for poobah, if ya'all think we need one.Looks like he's been around an OC block or two.

delp, welcome to OCDO. You can show for this too, even tho you'll not be here for a spring BBQ. I'm sureyou have some friends and loved ones that might get involved. I for one would like to meet you. Thanks for being in the service of our country. No higher calling in my book. At least stay in touch during your travels. :cool:

FogRider

imported post

Well, I'm not much for planning, and I'm not the best choice for calling folks up, but I can certainly pick stuff up and bring supplies along. Also, if someone has a few locations in mind but is not sure about them I can swing by and check them out.