• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spring 2009 Colorado OC BBQ

ACEllis

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas,
imported post

I just remembered, denwego used to be the big OC cat in Boulder before he moved to VA. Someone who knows him more than by forum name contact him and ask his opinion on a suitable venue around that area? He should be able to confirm whether I heard correctly about the Red Robin being gun friendly.

The story I remember is the manager himself used to come out and warmly greet and chat it up with the small group of people who dined in on a semi-regular basis. Ususally more then one open carrying, none being LEOs.

AC

Evil Ernie

imported post

OK, I shot a PM over to Denwego. He's been off the grid since Sept, but hopefully he still lurks.
As far as me being Poobah, well...we'll probably all end up in jail, and have bubba as a special friend...HA!! I appreciate the nod nonetheless.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Denwego pinged me back. The Red Robin near the intersection of 30th and Arapahoe is the one he said was very OC friendly. I think this would be a good spot to start the ramp up of the BBQ and minor get-togethers. What say you?

If everyone is cool with this location, then those of us who wish to contribute/lend a hand/offer poobah services can meet after the 1st of the New Year. As it stands now, I'm good for Sat, sun, mon nights.
How does Sat Jan 17th sound? Perhaps around 5ish?

Denwego, if you're reading this, thanks for the info, and you're more than welcome to join us, as are all OCDO members from around the country.

Dom

imported post

The 17th of January is good for me, I'm out of town from the 18th to the end of the month. A restaurant sounds like a good idea if the owner is up to it. We'll have to ask if he'll enjoy the publicity.

I don't have the time to poobah, but I can make some calls. I'll invite Rep. (elect) Mike Coffman. I can invite Sen. Elect Mark Udall (currently Rep. for Boulder). I suggest someone from Boulder/Boulder County invite the LEOs. I don't mind calling the media either. I think I'll invite the Aurora PD chief as well :lol:.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Cool, with me that makes three.

Thanks for stepping up Dom, but the restaurant meetings are basically to get the ball rolling on the big BBQ and for little get togethers. We can still use your contacts for the BBQ.

Any other takers for Jan 17th at Red Robin? Quick meet, greet, and eat. Put our heads and resources together and get this BBQ moving forward to becoming a reality.

ecgoin

imported post

I know I can make it on the 17th. I may have to show up in the work duds. I'll be working about a half mile from there, and I am sure the rush will be on to finish these places.

I can certainly walk in next week to be sure the joint is up to being The meeting place. Although they would probable enjoy our patronage for whatever reason.

My big picture hope is still to try to make it the day for OCer's nationally. We could post on each states board to see if there is interest from activists, and find a great final date that way. Sounds like alota work. It would be nice if plans everywhere were coming together on Jan. 17. The CA board has met, and are looking at Sept. 17th, Constitution Day, CT is about where we are in planning. Should we post a general thread and see what happens? I know I don't have time to coordinate this thing, but I do have time to help out any way I can.

:uhoh:dare I say this? (insert drum-roll). Yes we can! :shock:

thorvaldr

imported post

17th, 5ish, I think I can make it.

I don't want to hijack the thread but meeting in Boulder brings up a question. My understanding from other threads is that Boulder has some sort of an unloaded OC law that they think they can apply to people who don't have a concealed permit without violating preemption. Does anyone have any info on this?

wayradbrad

imported post

I'm in as well. It'll be nice to actually see the mystical creature known as the OC'er. I know they're out there but rarely seen. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. Very excited. I can't make the 17th, bummed.
Semper Fi.

ACEllis

imported post

I'm glad I remembered that Red Robin's story as well as denwego's adventures.

I can make myself available for the 17th at 5pm. Should we call ahead and reserve space as soon as we get a headcount?

Another question: should we have some sort of planned etiquette other than the obvious no alcohol (try the freckled lemonade) and no firearms leaving the holsters? I'd at least suggest you guys leave your 500 Smiths and Desert Eagles at home for something more practical. :p

AC

albritton77

imported post

ACEllis wrote:

I can make myself available for the 17th at 5pm. Should we call ahead and reserve space as soon as we get a headcount?

Another question: should we have some sort of planned etiquette other than the obvious no alcohol (try the freckled lemonade) and no firearms leaving the holsters? I'd at least suggest you guys leave your 500 Smiths and Desert Eagles at home for something more practical. :p

AC
Who are you, the unofficial gun control "adviser?"
I'll make this retort simple:
If it's legal, bring it. (TO INCLUDE S&W 500'S AND DESERT EAGLES!!!)

ACEllis

imported post

albritton77 wrote:
ACEllis wrote:

AC
Who are you, the unofficial gun control "adviser?"
I'll make this retort simple:
If it's legal, bring it. (TO INCLUDE S&W 500'S AND DESERT EAGLES!!!)
I'm merely suggesting against a show-boating presence in my normal cynical manner. Now, if you are done flame-baiting, can we get back to the subject at hand?

Does anyone have any other etiquette to suggest?

Evil Ernie

imported post

Well we don't want anyone getting all tanked up whilst armed. That just common sense. Me personally I don't imbibe while strapped, but I don't pass judgement on those that have a beer or two.
As far as keeping your piece holstered, well yeah, unless we're under armed attack, it should definitely stay holstered.
Size of said piece should be strictly limited to no larger that 105mm towed. :D

ECGOIN, a site recon would be appreciated. Denwegos info is somewhat old, and things may have changed.

Looks like the 17th is a go, but we'll wait for more replies and a recon report before making reservations.

Updates are a given, we will definitely post them as they occur.