• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas CHL coming to La.

rodbender

imported post

I have a Texas CHL. I come to Louisiana about every 3 weeks or so for the job. I was wondering if some of youcould enlighten me as to where it is legal to carry.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

http://louisianacarry.org/oc

http://louisianacarry.org/faq

http://louisianacarry.org/permits/addit_info.htm

No concealed handgun permit issued pursuant hereto shall authorize or entitle a permittee
to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

1. a law enforcement office, station, or building;
2. a detention facility, prison, or jail;
3. a courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his
own courtroom;
4. a polling place;
5. a meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
6. the state capitol building;
7. any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under
federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the
terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as
lawful baggage;
8. any church, synagogue, mosque or other similar place of worship;
9. a parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
10. any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class
A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter I or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26
of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
premises;
11. any school "firearm-free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6;
12. any private residence of another person, unless the permittee first receives the permission
of that person; and
13. any other property or premises where access by those possessing a concealed handgun
is restricted by the property owner, lessee or lawful custodian.

Any permit shall automatically become invalid for any of the following reasons:
1. the permit is altered in any manner;
2. the permit is lost or stolen;
3. the permittee is carrying it while under the influence of alcoholic beverages or a controlled dangerous substance; or
4. the permittee ceases to reside within this state.

An otherwise lawful permit shall be considered automatically suspended and not
valid while the permittee is under the influence of alcoholic beverages or a controlled dangerous
substance. For purposes of these rules and the applicable law, a permittee shall be
considered under the influence as evidenced by a blood alcohol reading of .05 grams percent
or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood, or when a blood test or urine test shows any confirmed
presence of a controlled dangerous substance as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 964.

rodbender

imported post

Thanks, exactly what I needed. Just wanted to make sure I'm legal while visiting your fair state.

Are there any particular signs I should look for prohibiting carry in any place.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Signage is not addressed in LA law, except that government buildings must have signage.

If you carried on a private property that prohibited weapons, you could be considered to be carrying without the authority of your CHP, which could open you up to a charge of unlawful carry (up to 6 mons, $500 fine, usually sentenced to $100 fine in real life), but one would expect that you would need to have been reasonably made aware of the prohibition in order to be convicted.

MBGuy

imported post

Another Texan here, but with a question. Is Fairgrounds in New Orleans good for licensed concealed carry? I'll be there tomorrow. In Texas, you can't carry where there's betting taking place, IIRC.

I'm just curious as I probably won't carry, since I'll probably go ahead and drink some beer while I'm there since I won't be driving, and for me, for some reason, horse racing and beer just go together.

leVieux

imported post

For practical purposes, just don't do anything stupid and you'll be OK.

All of the restrictions mentioned by other responders are specifically for those carrying under the Louisiana statute. Technically, you will be carrying under an Attorney General letter agreement, similar to a treaty between states, and not under the Louisiana statute for concealed carry.

Also, Louisiana has never had any law against pistols in public like Texas has. Open carry of a handgunis technically legal here, just as open carry of a long gun is in Texas. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't have a problem doing it, depending on where you are and what else you are doing at the time. Concealed is better, usually.

Be careful. Good luck. Remember that these opinions are not legal opinions from attorneys knowledgeable in this area.

leVieux (TX CHL in LA, too)

Dustin

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
Do anyone know what the status is of the following story:

http://www.wdsu.com/news/18424741/detail.html

Just trying to find out. Thanks in advance!!

2nd Amendment.........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

Sounds to me like the Undercover cop didn't indetify that he was a cop when he pulled his gun. So the 22 yr old fired first, only to be gunned down.

Not sure, don't have all the facts.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
Do anyone know what the status is of the following story:

http://www.wdsu.com/news/18424741/detail.html

Just trying to find out. Thanks in advance!!

2nd Amendment.........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

Sounds to me like the Undercover cop didn't indetify that he was a cop when he pulled his gun. So the 22 yr old fired first, only to be gunned down.

Not sure, don't have all the facts.

Here is some more information (I am just not sure how much of it is true):

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/nine_officers_reassigned_fatal.html

2nd Amendment........Use it............Or, lose it!!:X

leVieux

imported post

This is a big mess that the criminals running NOPD are trying to cover-up.

The public story is that the NOPD got a call about a disturbance and called on a group of undercover cops in unmarked cars who were trying to set-up a "sting" nearby. The cops got there, got the wrong car, and shot the young man all up.

They are trying to obfuscate the issues with claims like Grimes shot first (not true; he didn't even shoot at all, it turns out!) or that he was carrying illegal weapons (not true) or that Grimes pointed his pistol at them (probably not true). They are adding to the smoke by claiming that Grimes had a shotgun in his vehicle (which is perfectly legal) or that he crossed a state line with a pistol and that is a "felony" (damned lie) and that he had an "illegal" 30 round clip (not illegal in either state). In addition, they are announcing that his Texas CHL was "invalid" in Louisiana (not true; there is a formal recriprocity agreement that has been in effect for several years). They tried and tried to pin a prior criminal record on Grimes, but he was squeaky clean. A model citizen.

This is all designed to poison the pool of potentiol jurors.

Why were undercover agents in unmarked vehicles dispatched? Why did they all (all nine officers) approach GrimesFROM BEHIND? Why were 12 of the 14 hits from behind (according to Dr. Frank Minyard, the Coroner whosupervised the autopsy)?

This is just one more flagrant example of how out-of-control the NOPD is. Here in Chocolate City, most citizens fear the police more than they fear street criminals! Recall their behavior during and after Hurricane Katrina.

I am a physician at the University Hospital here, and I hear NOPD horror stories frequently. Lest anyone think that I am anti cop, my son is a cop in a nearby city and one of my very best friends was a cop until he died.

Also, this is not a racial deal and shouldn't be made into one. Bad NOPD cops come in all shades. The Mayor should be recalled and the police chief fired. Hopefully a new regime could return the department to a law-abiding, non-terrorist public service organization,like it used to be. I can remember when citizens were glad to see a NOPD officer.

leVieux

leVieux

imported post

So, now it comes out there was never an original citizen complaint of a "shooting in the area" that lead up to this? More and more police lies exposed!

We need to get rid of all the bad cops of all colors, the chief, and the mayor so that we can feel safe in our homes and on our streets again. Especially, get rid ofthe rogue police supervisors, who flaunt our laws and constitution.

There is one bright spot: New Orleans has a brand-new District Attorney, (ex) Judge Leon Cannizzaro, who is known far and wide as an honest, no nonsense public official. Sad that he is handed a big mess like this so early in his administration; but, this crisis just may afford a new beginning for us all. The world will be watching Judge Cannizzaro.

Pity the Grimes family and pray for them............BUT: Please, please, don't make this incident into a racial issue. This is something that affects us all and is killing the lifeblood of New Orleans, its tourism industry. This has to be an everyone issue: Whites, Blacks, Viets,Visitors, and all Othersagainst therogue, criminalpolice.

Haven'twe had enough, yet?

chad pf-9

imported post

Levieux,you are right.My Grandmother used to tell me stories of going to new orleans,on a public bus from out here in the river parishes,& going shopping on canal street.& also how beautiful the city was,especially around christmas time.But,before she passed away,she told me how she couldn't believe how bad the city had become.And it wasn't just the crime,& thugs she was worried about.it was also the police.She had some relatives that still lived there,& would tell her about all the corruption going on.

I even had a little bit of the "Chocolate city corruption" myself.

My wife was in NO,on a field trip,driving 3 preschool kids the summer after Katrina.A corrupt NOPD officer gave her a ticket for running a stop sigh that was not even there!Well we went topay it(she wanted to fight it)they had a guy in the hall of the algiers courthouse(the one in NO was not open yet)asked what she had,looked at the ticket(it was a $225ticket)took it,changed the charge on it so it wouldn't go on her record,& told her to go in and pay $125 CASH.

Now a week before,a guy that I worked with at the time told me exactly what they were gonna do,because he went to pay one himself.

still to this day my wife refuses to drive in the Chocolate city,& I only go if absolutely necessary.

imported post

LaVieux and Chad,
While you're in the right church, both of you are on the wrong pew.
There cannot be a "reformation" of the system to meet our standards.
Why?
The very concept of "law enforcement" is fatally flawed. You have imperfect humans trying to accomplish the unachievable.
Every time I re-read 1st Samuel chapter 8 and look around, I see more and more proof of what the scriptures warned of. This senseless death is but just one more sad example of man's decline.