Thread: Texas CHL

Post imported post

I have a Texas CHL. Iwill be passing throughAlabamaon my wayto Virginia. I was wondering if some of youcould enlighten me as to where it is legal to carry. More specifically, where it is illegal to carry.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Standard federal property restrictions (same in every state).

No state parks, but National Forests are okay (National Parks are up in the air).

You cannot participate in a 'public gathering' with a firearm. A public gathering is an assembly of people for a political purpose. So it doesn't include things like parades, concerts, sports games, etc. Also if you aren't participating the police have to inform you a public gathering is taking place and give you time to leave the area and cannot just immediately arrest you.

That's pretty much it. The firearms code starts at CoA 13A-11-50 if you want to look yourself. The state Park restriction is an administrative code so it won't be in there but that's pretty much the only one.

Many localities have their own restrictions (where I live, for example, there is a local ordinance prohibiting weapons in/on government property). These ordinances are invalid as we have statewide preemption with no exceptions. I haven't heard of any of these ordinances being enforced so you shouldn't have to worry about them.

Post imported post

Schools, bars, government buildings, protests and demonstrations. Restaurants that serve alcohol are a touch fuzzy. As you are passing through and on an out of state permit, I'd say keep it concealed and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Open carry is technically legal wherever CC is, but as you can read in other posts here, not all LE is so informed.

Edit to add: I knew Kurt would beat me to it. Welcome to Alabama. Enjoy your stay, even if its just for gas.

Post imported post

Actually, we'll be staying in Birmingham overnightat a motel.

Thanks for the info guys.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

BTW, there is also no "duty to inform" should you be greeted by our friendly state troopers.

Post imported post

FYI bars and schools aren't off limits.

You may want to look at Ex parte Larry Douglas Childers as it is one of the first cases testing preemption in Alabama. It also takes place in a bar (the subject of the case... not the case itself!)

Schools aren't off limits even to people without permits (as long as you aren't intending to do bodily harm), except that federal law prohibits it. With a permit though, you are exempt from the federal law. Also, if you have a permit you are now allowed to carry in a school with intent to do bodily harm (at least that's how it reads... I wouldn't try to kill someone on school grounds tho!).

Many people are confused as to the restrictions as a Sheriff can issue a 'qualified' permit in Alabama that has place and time restrictions. As someone with an out-of-state permit you essentially have an unlimited permit without extra restrictions.

Post imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:

You may want to look at Ex parte Larry Douglas Childers as it is one of the first cases testing preemption in Alabama. It also takes place in a bar (the subject of the case... not the case itself!)

Schools aren't off limits even to people without permits (as long as you aren't intending to do bodily harm), except that federal law prohibits it. With a permit though, you are exempt from the federal law. Also, if you have a permit you are now allowed to carry in a school with intent to do bodily harm (at least that's how it reads... I wouldn't try to kill someone on school grounds tho!).

Many people are confused as to the restrictions as a Sheriff can issue a 'qualified' permit in Alabama that has place and time restrictions. As someone with an out-of-state permit you essentially have an unlimited permit without extra restrictions.
    Where can I find this?

Post imported post

KillBoxAlpha wrote:
    kurtmax_0 wrote:

Where can I find this?
    http://kurtbogle.com/guns/Open%20Car...LEXIS_34,_.PDF

Post imported post

I bow to the master...Hai Sensei.

Post imported post

Daddyo wrote:
    I bow to the master...Hai Sensei.
    ... Well, I'm not an attorney so I suggest you contact one. I will say though, that most Alabama attorneys aren't knowledgeable about the law either. I've been told by quite a few that you need to be 21 to get a pistol permit blah blah blah...