• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Bill

rodbender

imported post

Is it a certainty that someone is going to introduce this bill? I can't find it anywhere. It has been a week or so since someone said that it was being written and was goingto be introduced. This disturbs me.

sheepdog

imported post

With a Governor(Thank you, Lord) who is pro-gun and willing to sign it, I'm sure the folks who're drafting it are being careful to give it their best...I'd bet my left nut that they WILL introduce one....

I took my permit class at the Academy for Firearms Training in Grand Prairie...and the co-author of the original Texas Concealed Handgun Laws explained the effort that went into getting the law written right so that it would have the support to get it passed and yet not be as restrictive as some wanted it to be...lots was involved behind the scenes...and they did pretty good...it's only gotten better since...I can imagine the dickering and discussing about wording that's going on...to get us the best possible bill....well worth the wait....

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, all that are currently on the schedule are pre-filings; bills drafted and vetted while session was out, or "dead" bills that had significant support and interest last sessionbut didn't have time to be passed and signed. The fact that we have a draft bill and legislators who will support it does not necessarily mean it has actually been filed, and it doesn't have to be; session lasts the better part of a year and most bills are introduced once business has actually started in Austin.

The legislator who will introduce our bill, as of last report, does not want to be identified just yet. There are a number of good reasons I could come up with:

• Hemay not want to tip his handofficially before drumming up his own support. Citizens talking to legislators is important, but legislatorsoften make quid pro quo agreements to support each others' bills that drastically increases the amount of support a bill eventually gets.
  • He may want to introduce the bill in committee rather than on the full floor; a bill vetted by committee first tends to have more support when it reaches the general assembly.
  • Our supporter may be a Democrat. That would be great; one less we'd have to convince, but it could be poisonous not only to this bill but to others if our supporter's cross-party affiliation was officially known too soon.
  • Our supporter may have promised tointroduce it if no-one else will. Officially saying they will introduce it means no one else has to.

CrossFire

imported post

sheepdog wrote:
With a Governor(Thank you, Lord) who is pro-gun and willing to sign it, I'm sure the folks who're drafting it are being careful to give it their best...I'd bet my left nut that they WILL introduce one....

I took my permit class at the Academy for Firearms Training in Grand Prairie...and the co-author of the original Texas Concealed Handgun Laws explained the effort that went into getting the law written right so that it would have the support to get it passed and yet not be as restrictive as some wanted it to be...lots was involved behind the scenes...and they did pretty good...it's only gotten better since...I can imagine the dickering and discussing about wording that's going on...to get us the best possible bill....well worth the wait....
Grand Prairie,huh. You wouldn't be a member of GPGC would you?

sheepdog

imported post

Nope...I ain't that hi-class...work too much and play too little!!! Howdy!