• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at Church

adamsesq

imported post

We are pretty lucky in Oregon to not have churches from places restricted from carrying. Much of the rest of the country does! Therefore I carry at church although I usually will tuck it inside my shirt. It often shows when I am sitting down or moving chairs or something but it is usually hidden enough so as not to upset newcomers.

Last night I met up with my Pastor accidently at another gathering and he pulled me aside and said "missed you this Sunday." I thanked him with the normal pleasantries and he said "no, I REALLY missed you..." and then proceeded to tell me we had a walk-in visitor that was there looking for hand outs. They helped him the best they could and even got him a ride back into town. Later that afternoon they saw on the news his guy was wanted for assault with a weapon. The Pastor said that at that point when he saw the news his stomach dropped and he realized just how comforted he is knowing that there are some of who do carry in His church!

I got a small warm fuzzie at least out of it.

-adamsesq

JBURGII

imported post

We need a warm fuzzy emoticon..

Glad to hear the good feedback. I was raised up here in what I call a redneck church, praise the lord and pass the beer.. (a joke) but I grew up with a bunch of loggers and hunters.. wasn't strange to see someone carrying cuz they were heading up the mountain after services.. course the next sunday you know who brought the venison to the potluck!!

J

p.s. How about 'Open Arms Church' (bit o the double meaning there) today we will be reading from the book of James 10-22 and after that Proverbs 3-57... now if you will all open carry your bible to .... :lol:

(no offense was inteded or implied in the above post)

JBURGII

imported post

"Is that all your going to tithe? Well, is it.. punk?" ala Dirty Harry.. :p

adamsesq

imported post

Follow up:

At church today the pastor was talking about our visitor last Sunday and commented how you never know who will walk in and "we should welcome everyone and be just a little bit over protective. Those of you who have your permits, it seems like a good idea." HIS WORDS! :)

-adamsesq

astraflyr

imported post

I thought it was great when he said that! My ankle was looking a little more swollen than usual that Sunday. If ya noticed.

JBURGII

imported post

"Please remember folks, if you are going to tithe ammo.. make sure its .357 and not .45 ACP, they don't fit in the Pastors revolver.. thank you"

I grew up in a church full o loggers.. :cool:

adamsesq

imported post

astraflyr wrote:
I thought it was great when he said that! My ankle was looking a little more swollen than usual that Sunday. If ya noticed.

Do I know you astra?

ETA: ok, put two and two together. I need to talk with you sometime, please give me a call.

-adamsesq

imported post

One of the most sacred places I know of, is The Garden of Gethsemane. The Savior of us all paid for our sins there.

One of His Apostles was packing that night and used his sword to cut off the ear of one of the soldiers who came to arrest the Savior.

That's good enough for me.