• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When should I start to OC?

yjt83

imported post

I just got my first handgun. I do not have much experience with handguns; in fact, it has probably been 12 years since I've shot one. I do have a great deal of experience with shooting shotguns and rifles though. How long should I shoot for before I begin to OC? Did you take any classes before you OCed? I'm sure it's not a bright idea to just carry a gun around without experience with it, which is why I want to take my time first. Although I hope I never have to pull my weapon, it would be safest to know how to best use it in case I was put in that situation.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I would recommend a few trips with at least a couple hundred rounds through each weapon before you carry it.
I would also recommend you practice drawing and presenting at home with an unloaded weapon.
You can start by carrying around the house and on short trips till you are more comfortable.

cynicist

imported post

I bought my second gun today.

I'd recommend OC tomorrow.

Get comfy with it, and even if you're not, carry it out of town a few times, gauge reactions, and proceed from there. The worst that could happen is "are you a cop?" (not actually the worst, but most likely)

Walleye

imported post

Where are you planning to OC at? Some states ban the practice, and some states allow municipalities to regulate it.

If it's legal where you plan to do it, then the best answer I can give is when you're ready. When I started, I was actually scared of going out openly, for fear that a LEO would bust me under some trumped up charges (disturbing the peace, etc.) even though I knew I was in the green. It took some time and practice, but gradually I got myself comfortable doing it; now I basically carry everywhere (unless prohibited by law) openly. I also got a concealed carry permit which helped boost my confidence a lot, in addition to allowing me to carry in more places.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would say immediatly after going to the range and getting a few hundred rounds down range at a target and you can handle the firearm properly, then get a double locking action pistol holster that way no one can just come up to u and rip the gun away from yourself. After you've got proper technique down and a good locking holster and you live in a state that allows oc, then start asap. Get the word out in your community to start to oc for those who are interested in doing so, that way no one starts freakin out when they see people oc'ing a weapon like most anti-gun usually do,lol. Unless u live in one of those red states wear you have to have a ccw to carry your weapon concealed while in tranportation, then I wouldn't really worry about LEO's they'll get use to you after awhile. Now I live in Al. and its one of those states that require you to have a ccw to carry in a vehicle , but you can open carry on foot, so its kinda weird here and you would have to be very careful, cause LEO's here seems to me just don't want regular legal citizens carrying openly for some strange reason.:uhoh:

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

My 2nd post :

Now waiting for CCW about 3 weeks . Found this forum by googling OC .

Suddenly feeling like the 1st day as a nudist .

I'm free .

' vs '

Is my S&W snub nose . 38 revolver big enough ?

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
My 2nd post :

Now waiting for CCW about 3 weeks . Found this forum by googling OC .

Suddenly feeling like the 1st day as a nudist .

I'm free .

' vs '

Is my S&W snub nose . 38 revolver big enough ?
Man you have to wait 3weeks, that county must make there own laws, its suppose to be same day as long as theres no issues.

WCrawford

imported post

Depending on your state, I'd start carrying openly immediately. {update your profile to include at least your state}

At the very least, carry openly when you are at home or on your own property. Some states (like VA, PA, KY to name a few) don't require any license to openly carry a firearm. Other states (TN and GA to name two) do require a license to carry openly.

No matter what, know what your state's laws are concerning carrying a firearm. Know the places that you can not carry.

Don't worry if you feel nervous when first openly carrying, its only natural. I felt as if I was being constantly watched by everyone for nearly a month.

Go to the range and practice, as well. I, personally, try to hit the range at least once a month.

Learn as much as you can about your firearm. Learn all of its unique quirks. It is something that could one day save your life.

richarcm

imported post

If possible I would find someone else who OCs and get them to OC with you the first couple of times. A friend of mine did this with me. He took me to all of the places he thought I should experience. I was nervous as HELL, my knees were weak, my hands were sweating but I felt better knowing I had someone with me who knew the laws and the basics of OCing. His confidence and bright attitude rubbed off on me a little and made everything a lot easier. Of course I quickly learned that most of the worry was in my head and quickly started OCing on my own. And before i knew it I took it everywhere I could. I have a concealed permit now and rarely if ever use it because OCing just seems so much more fun and effective.

Just mind your manners, obey all laws and dont touch or remove the gun and you should be fine. :celebrate

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:
If possible I would find someone else who OCs and get them to OC with you the first couple of times. A friend of mine did this with me. He took me to all of the places he thought I should experience. I was nervous as HELL, my knees were weak, my hands were sweating but I felt better knowing I had someone with me who knew the laws and the basics of OCing. His confidence and bright attitude rubbed off on me a little and made everything a lot easier. Of course I quickly learned that most of the worry was in my head and quickly started OCing on my own. And before i knew it I took it everywhere I could. I have a concealed permit now and rarely if ever use it because OCing just seems so much more fun and effective.

Just mind your manners, obey all laws and dont touch or remove the gun and you should be fine. :celebrate

Good for you richarcm, and congrats on getting over the fear of OC'ing, wish I could do the same. Is OC'ing part of what your allowed to do, like it is hear in Al. or is a automatic, like are you guys a gold star state, cause that would make OC'ing alot easier.

richarcm

imported post

Mr.Advocate wrote:
richarcm wrote:

Good for you richarcm, and congrats on getting over the fear of OC'ing, wish I could do the same. Is OC'ing part of what your allowed to do, like it is hear in Al. or is a automatic, like are you guys a gold star state, cause that would make OC'ing alot easier.
Virginia is VERY blessed when it comes to having strong gun rights. VCDL has done really amazing things at making sure only positive gun bills get passed and in making sure that the law enforcement respect the laws. Its scary though because I live about 10-15 minutes from DC which is the VERY anti-gun. I have to be careful where I drive and sometimes forget that I have my gun sitting right on my seat when crossing the line from VA to DC. I did it once today and VERY quickly got back on the VA side. :)

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Virginia is VERY blessed when it comes to having strong gun rights. VCDL has done really amazing things at making sure only positive gun bills get passed and in making sure that the law enforcement respect the laws. Its scary though because I live about 10-15 minutes from DC which is the VERY anti-gun. I have to be careful where I drive and sometimes forget that I have my gun sitting right on my seat when crossing the line from VA to DC. I did it once today and VERY quickly got back on the VA side. :)

That's a great state, I use to live there in VA along time ago when I was in grade school, in Richmond,Newport,Amelia, and some other places there. But we moved away from there to Al. right as I was turning twelve. One thing I'm most happy about Al. over Va. is that we don't have those crappy vehicle inspections and not as crappy road laws, that would drive me nuts. But it sound like your gun laws are very cool, and good job on getting back over into the VA side, cause your right DC blows big time when it comes to our gun rights as American citizens, I don't know how DC gets away with all that shit, its disgusting what DC lawmakers have been getting away with. I could never live there, that place sucks, way to many laws there period, and they have the highest crime rate over every single state within the U.S. and they aren't even allowed to carry guns with them, reminds me of what happened with Great Britain once they lost all there rights to owning and carrying firearms, the crime rate as well as crime with firearms went up,lol, these anti-gun freaks think making more strict gun laws or trying to ban guns is going to make the world a better place,lol , yeah right. They need to look at the statistics per ca pita, they'll see what I'm talking about.

richarcm

imported post

Mr.Advocate wrote:

That's a great state, I use to live there in VA along time ago when I was in grade school, in Richmond,Newport,Amelia, and some other places there. But we moved away from there to Al. right as I was turning twelve. One thing I'm most happy about Al. over Va. is that we don't have those crappy vehicle inspections and not as crappy road laws, that would drive me nuts. But it sound like your gun laws are very cool, and good job on getting back over into the VA side, cause your right DC blows big time when it comes to our gun rights as American citizens, I don't know how DC gets away with all that @#$%, its disgusting what DC lawmakers have been getting away with. I could never live there, that place sucks, way to many laws there period, and they have the highest crime rate over every single state within the U.S. and they aren't even allowed to carry guns with them, reminds me of what happened with Great Britain once they lost all there rights to owning and carrying firearms, the crime rate as well as crime with firearms went up,lol, these anti-gun freaks think making more strict gun laws or trying to ban guns is going to make the world a better place,lol , yeah right. They need to look at the statistics per ca pita, they'll see what I'm talking about.
Yeah but they play the whole 'chicken/egg' game with the statistics. They say that the reason that they need the gun control is BECAUSE of the crime. I suppose they feel that it may take several decades or centuries before the crime begins to decrease due to their desire to control the people.

We, of course being much more logical in thinking, realize that the gun control is what is contributing to their crime problems. But for some reason their brains don't quite operate on logic and so they rely on propaganda.

But yes part of the reason of OCing is to get people desensitized to the sight and thought of people owning and wearing a gun. The more you do it the easier it is for you. The more you do it the more people become comfortable by the sight of them. Once you get used to OCing it really becomes nothing more than just another article of clothing. It really helps to know learn and be able to rehearse your state/local laws. Its good to be confident in your ability to stand up for your rights if/when confronted with an emotional person or agressive officer.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah but they play the whole 'chicken/egg' game with the statistics. They say that the reason that they need the gun control is BECAUSE of the crime. I suppose they feel that it may take several decades or centuries before the crime begins to decrease due to their desire to control the people.

We, of course being much more logical in thinking, realize that the gun control is what is contributing to their crime problems. But for some reason their brains don't quite operate on logic and so they rely on propaganda.

But yes part of the reason of OCing is to get people desensitized to the sight and thought of people owning and wearing a gun. The more you do it the easier it is for you. The more you do it the more people become comfortable by the sight of them. Once you get used to OCing it really becomes nothing more than just another article of clothing. It really helps to know learn and be able to rehearse your state/local laws. Its good to be confident in your ability to stand up for your rights if/when confronted with an emotional person or aggressive officer.

spacer.gif

Current time is 08:47 pm

Yeah, it does help to know how to deal with a emotional person or and agressive officer, any help or links you can give me on that would be very helpful. Cause like you was talking about in your recent post , these kinda people are also not relying on logic either,lol. They are intead reacting off of fear, worst cause senerios, and authority that they themselfs really don't have in what you are doing, simply cause you are doing nothing wrong if you are within your states and cities laws and most importantly the 2nd amendmant. I live in Al, we have the right to open carry, but there's a catch, we must have a CCW permit to carry while in transport, so the LEO's like to harrass and take you CCW permit so you can't open carry unless your going to walk everywhere, its very stupid, and I really wish we could get that changed one day, but anything worth having is worth fighting for. Always fight for your rights if you know your in the right. My own personal belief here in Al. is the LEO's here believe its there right to OC and that it, no private citizens in there book should have the right in there eyes , hense the reason why most of the LEO's harass and take away your CCW.

PONTIAC POWER

imported post

hey guys! im new to this site and i just have a few questions ive been looking into. i am 19 years of age. ive seriously been considering carrying my berreta px4 openly, but i have heard alot of different answers. ive read i can but ive also read i cannot and if i did i would get a 20,000 dollar fine. i have a clean criminal record and am just looking to exercise some rights since i am a tax payer ;) thanks for any help you guys have!!!!

jbone

imported post

yjt83 wrote:
I just got my first handgun. I do not have much experience with handguns; in fact, it has probably been 12 years since I've shot one. I do have a great deal of experience with shooting shotguns and rifles though. How long should I shoot for before I begin to OC? Did you take any classes before you OCed? I'm sure it's not a bright idea to just carry a gun around without experience with it, which is why I want to take my time first. Although I hope I never have to pull my weapon, it would be safest to know how to best use it in case I was put in that situation.

Been awhile since you asked...Have you started OC yet?

Did you ask yourself the question why you shouldn’t? I'm sure the reason you should would out weight the reasons you shouldn’t