• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A lovely combination of stupid

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/12/8/412338.html?title=Give+a+gun,+get+a+gift+

Not only is it another gun buy-back scam...

It openly admits that it won't serve any purpose...

Then attempts to opine how 'guns that aren't serving a purpose' should be 'turned in.'

It also quotes the parents who blame a lack of turn-in-ability for their curious son's death...

I can't find any logic anywhere in this article, much less any glue to hold the various ideas together... Can someone really, really stupid please explain it to me? I'm too smart for it to make sense...

Hiding a gun from a your own child whom you describe as curious, is just plain lousy and irresponsible parenting. Acting like you had no options to 'get rid' of a gun you didn't want, is another heap of BS excuse. If you don't want it, SELL IT! Duh!! How hard is that? You have to wait for the Lakeland PD to offer a scam?

$50 for a gun? Hell, I'll start my own 'buy back' scam! I'm not aware of any gun I can buy for that cheap! On top of openly admiting that criminals won't be turning theirs in... Exactly what is the piont here?

/me decides to build a few makeshift .22lr guns in the garage and drive to Lakeland this weekend.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I'd love to be near a "buy back".

My kids, and theirs, are all well versed in handling guns. My 15 year old granddaighter hit some tannerite at 70 yards with an M1 Garand this past August. First time she had ever seen an M1.....:celebrate

Thundar

imported post

ixtow wrote:
$50 for a gun? Hell, I'll start my own 'buy back' scam! I'm not aware of any gun I can buy for that cheap! On top of openly admiting that criminals won't be turning theirs in... Exactly what is the piont here?
The point is to get the people used to the idea of turning in firearms. That habit makes it so much easier when the turn in is no longer voluntary.

KansasMustang

imported post

At 15 I not only knew where the guns in my Grandpa's house were, I knew how to use all of them and which ones were loaded. I had a 410 and 22 rifle of my own and was expected to use them as Gramps was fond of rabbit and squirrel stew LOL. As was said before, this is stupid and will only get people used to turning in guns. 50$ oh boy, love to sit outside with a big roll of 20$ bills and buy up what I'd like :cuss: And that statement I doubt if any criminals will turn in guns but we'd like em to,,,yeah right.

Gordie

imported post

This statement just kills me "Police don't expect criminals to turn in their guns, although they'd like them to."

When ever the police do something that they know will have virtually no effect on crime it really gets to me. Why not just say"Wedon't expectcriminals to become law abiding citizens, but we'd like them too." That would be just as effective.:banghead:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's amazing how such deficient parenting, to an extreme that causes death, is passed off on the gun... Anything else and it would be called neglect.

My son is 11, has several guns in his room.

"Oh, but not all kids are around guns like that." Is the excuse... DUH! that's the whole point! If their parents weren't idiots or political activists putting their agenda above their children, they'd be just like mine! ALIVE, and RESPONSIBLE!

It's amazing how they flat-out admit that the ploy doesn't in any way target criminals, yet they're still doing it... hm...

Big roll of cash, you say? Thats EXACTLY what I'm doing! First, a few of my friends are going to build some ~$10 (cost) makeshift .22lr guns to turn in. Say, a half dozen for each of us. Then, turn right around and double offer the same gift cards to other people standing in line. When the cards are gone, I'll use cash. I'll pick up anything worth more than $300.

I hope to get at least one glock and an AK... Hahaha!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just got back fromthe "Buy back" in Lakeland.

WOW.

I was modestly impressed by the lack of valuable weapons being dumped off at this scam. Lots of obviously non-functioning weapons, fire and flood damaged guns, etc. Only a very few sightings that made me go "Aw, man, that's a damn shame."

While standing in line to turn in my 4x 12 gauge makeshift shotguns, hastily made the night before for less than $15 each, I had a pleasant discussion with an officer who gave me his name and number and wants to buy a Kel-Tek P-3AT from me.

Another officer was holding a Ruger MKII and an Ithica sawed-off (non-registered AOW) pump. I offer the "owner" $75 for the MkII, and was told, too late, you can't buy it now, "Should have made an offer before he got this far."

So I grabed a cardboard box and a fat magic marker and made a sign.

"I pay more!"

And walked up and down the sidewalk in front of the caravan of cars entering the scam grounds.

I was, of course, immediately descended upon by swat-team garbed jack-booted thugs weilding AR-15s and the like. "Perfect, just waht I was expecting." I thought to myself and the deluge of lies started to be screamed at me...

I was actually impressed by the volume of profanity and insult I was verbally assaulted with. Right there on the sidewalk, in front of everyone! But none dared cross the line of attempting to detain me, and never once do they attemt to surround me in a 'tactical' manner. I guess the idea that someone actually had the balls to do this made them realize I probably knew my rights as well.

In spite of this, I had several people wave me over to their cars to have a look at what they had.

I was, again, pleasantly surprised to see that it was pretty much all junk.

I got several "thumbs up" as I endured the barrage of "you can't do that" "who do you think you are" "I'm goign to arrest you" etc...

I didn't end up making any purchases, but why would I really need to? My real purpose there was to keep valuable property from being lost. In an economy like this, getting ripped-off by these thugs hurts. Sure, I wanted to make a few bucks, but I was intent on offering a fair price to anyone who had something of true value. I didn't find anything worth more than scrap. Guess the people in Lakeland, FL knew how to scam the scammers, and didn't need my help putting the screws to these jerks themselves. Most of the guns I saw were WAY beyond repair.

Overall, I took away no real learning experience. I just proved to myself that I'm right about these sorts of people. The Cops and Sponsors who do this kind of thing are absolute dirtbags, even if polite and amicable when things are going accordign to their plot.

It did go a bit towards restoring my faith in humanity. I could count on one hand the number of weapons that would have been profitable to the previous owners. For the most part, the Funds spent by the perpetrators of this scam, served as a total and complete waste; save that good people took their money in exchange for junk!

SWEET!

I've been inspired... And that bodes VERY poorly for those whom I dislike.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I just got back from the "Buy back" in Lakeland.

WOW.
Would love to have been able to see a video of this. :celebrate

It would have been priceless and might have helped curtail such future responses.

I am seriously considering attending any local buy backs in hopes of saving some worthy hand tools but will do so with at least a audio recorder and probably a friend with a video unit as backup.

Yata hey

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As a footnote, there is an easy solution.

Allow collectors to be there and appraise values. But as history has showed us so far, the entities who perform these crass stunts, are, well, crass. Only "they" have any say, and that is, it all gets destroyed for $50 a pop. No concern for any value, or ripping people off and destroyng heirlooms, antiques, or just plain valuable hardware. Saw a Stainless S&W revolver hit the heap. Aww, man.... Woulda given $300 minimum, even if it was broken. Me = Certified Gunsmith.

I was grilled about Japanese WWII weapons by one jackass. I, admittedly, know little. I've reloaded Nambu ammo for a few people, but that's about it.

He was trying to wag his penis as if this somehow validated any claim that I was a [string of explatives]. They were offering $50! Just about ANY maintained gun is worth more than that. Do I care if it was a signed gift from the Emperor himself? Does it even matter if I can identify that? Hell no! A Japanese WWII rifle, in any restorable condition, would be worth more than $50 because pretty much ANY gun in fair or better condition would be! What an ass!

AllAmerican

imported post

You sir are my hero. I posted to another forum that I would do the exact same thing. I might have even posted it here LOL

Nah it was another forum or two. Yessir, I would have gone there with signs that said "I pay more" or "I will buy your guns" or "This is how they are going to take away your guns" and maybe "your selling your 2A rights for $50"

You know what Im getting at. Kudos to you for doing this. If they do it in SC I will be there.

You are the man. Way to stand up to them.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
You are the man. Way to stand up to them.
Just an American snubbing his nose at the scum trying to overthrow freedom.

The pinnacle of the event was when all the litttle napoleon tacticool guys with the ARs kept standing in front of my sign, so, my 6'3" self held it WAY up in the air, and none of them were tall enough to block it. I was praying one of them would try to punch me in the gut, standing up like that. You could tell it was really straining their self-control to hold back. You could cut the hate with a kinfe. Filth masquerading as human beings, with badges pinned to it.

Turned out the entire event was a scam. The $50 "gift Cards" they were supposedly giving out, didn't exist. I got there pretty damn early and they had "run out." They handed out handwritten "IUO"s that were supposedly redeemable for gift cards if you went down the the PD. They also did not keep to their words of "no questions asked" or their suppsoed promise that it was $50 per gun. At first they refused to even take my guns. I mentioned how much I could sell them for "on the street" (which I would never do, but it was funny to say it to their face). Then haggled me to accept 2 'gift cards' to take all 4 of them. I saw several people flat-out rejected and turned away.

After their behavior... Granted, they didn't physically cross any lines, but not out of respect for my rights, that's for sure. Just that they knew damn well I would bring the hammer down if they overstepped their authority by one millimeter. When LEOs are restrained only by fear of personal liability, there is a SEVERE ethical problem, not to mention, a traitorous one. After all that, I'd have to say, I wouldn't be the slightest bit uhappy to see a 12 gauge zip gun fall into 'the wrong hand' and send afew ot these pigs to the morgue. If I hadn't been in public view of hundreds of eyeballs, I'd be a missing person right now, for sure. Without an actual recording, the verbal threats against myself and my family hold no water in a Florida court tho, oh well.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As a taxpayer I am really ticked about these events.

THAT IS MY MONEY THEY ARE GIVING AWAY AND I AM NOT GETTING ANY VALUE BACK FOR IT!!:cuss:

The idiots that promote and authorize these events should be removed from office and prosecuted for maleficence.

Regards

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't have an account at THR, so they don't know about this yet:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5148216

Taxpayer, they supposedly paid for the non-existent gift cards with money donated by gun-hate organizations and with property confiscations. The latter being a very shady enterprise. I'm sure all of the JBTs were still drawing taxpayer paychecks for being there...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Now that I've had time to relax and reflect a little more...

I have a new understanding of those who report their OC encounters with beligerant badge-toters. You get it all organized in one post, I'm still amazed how I was accosted for daring to open-carry a sign! I think this should indicate a bit of why the OC petition for Florida has gone nowhere. This place is on lock-down of mental marshal law already. Get one little hair out of place, and you've got 5 tacticool goose-steppers screaming obscenities at you, safeties off, fingers on the trigers. I went into this knowing I'd get a cold response, but damn.

I hope none of them transfer to a gold star state. These 'people' are psycho. Talk about a needlessly tense and dangerous situation. What was I going to do, go on a paper-cut rampage with a piece of cardboard? Why all the intimidation, but still no touchie? A******s.

I do have to say, the look on their faces was priceless. Shouting and screaming profianites one second, and just plain shocked I kept walking along like they didn't exist... You could almost hear them say "Dude, we have scary guns and we're cursing at you, are you nuts!!" I just smiled and kept walking up and down the sidewalk, holding the sign over their heads. Only now am I realizing just how comical it must have looked to a 3rd party. Regardless of what opinion the sheeple may have had of me, clearly I had some supporters in the crowd.

I was only there for an hour total. No mention of it in the news reports at all. Figures.

Man, I have a new level of respect for people who can compose their thoughts so well after dealing with encounters with degenerates like this. I handled it pretty damn well in the moment. But afterwards my mind is still catching up. I promise not to post more for at least a day. ;-)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I had a friend there with a video camera, but he was useless.... I have no footage. :-(
Video cam that wasn't working or turned on - whichever. No digital recorder - no cell phone picture.

How about the press? A gun buy-back without the press would be unbelievable. So surely there is some documentation of your dramatic encounter of being "descended upon by swat-team garbed jack-booted thugs weilding AR-15s."

Your friend witnessed the event - meaning you have at least one witness - and no formal complaint filed?

Though I can see that you are not new to OCDO, some questions relating to this posting are not unreasonable. Have to admit I'm getting "that" feeling.

Yata hey

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have a couple of bad pictures, and one taken by the media that my friend is seen in.

I suppose you're welcome to "that feeling" if you like.

If you require 'proof' I'll send it to you, as you aren't exactly a new face either. But they aren't great pics, and only one of the tacticool guys can be seen as it as taken after they had given up on intimidating me and mostly dispursed.

PM me your email and I'll send attachments.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I have a couple of bad pictures, and one taken by the media that my friend is seen in.

I suppose you're welcome to "that feeling" if you like.

If you require 'proof' I'll send it to you, as you aren't exactly a new face either. But they aren't great pics, and only one of the tacticool guys can be seen as it as taken after they had given up on intimidating me and mostly dispursed.

PM me your email and I'll send attachments.
Post them here for all to see - we believe in sharing info such as this.

So the media was there - which one?
Is your friend a poster/participant on OCDO?

Yata hey

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't have an image host account of any sort.

If the pics were better, I'd make it public. But it's really not worth wasting that much bandwidth, they're not good pics. Figured I'd send it to you to confirm I'm not a liar. but if you'd rather not see, that's fine too.

email is typed up, attachments added, awaiting an email addres to send it to.

No, my friend is not a posert/participant at OCDO. You guys couldn't put up with him anyway.