• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocity

suntzu

imported post

I was on another BB a few minutes ago--http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/55933-virginia-drops-reciprocity-tennessee-3.html

and on this site it said that Virginia no longer recognizes the Tennessee hangun permit--I have went to both the Tennessee Dept. of Safety, as well as the Virginia State police websites and each one is stating that TN. permits are recognized by Virginia, and Virginia permits are recognized by Tn-with reciprocity....so which is to be believed?

Does anyone in Virginia know if VA still has a reciprocity agreement with TN, and whether TN permits are recognized in the Common Wealth? I'm not sure where the defensive carry site got their information--but it is in conflict with both the Virginia and Tennessee State Police websites..

Darylvb

imported post

The person who started that thread is obviously quite wrong. You click on the linkhe providedtheVAStatePolice and Tennessee is listedas having reciprocity with Virginia and if you goto Tennessee's web site same thing. And the other web site he provided (http://www.handgunlaw.us/) says the same thing.

2a4all

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I've also found errors on concealedcarry.net and prefer handgunlaw.us.
Handgunlaw.us has a basic flaw in its map generation, in that it assumes all permits held by the user are resident permits. There is no way to indicate that a permit from a given state is (non)residential.

If concealedcarry.net can update their reciprocity tables, they would generate the better map.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

2a4all wrote:
Handgunlaw.us has a basic flaw in its map generation, in that it assumes all permits held by the user are resident permits. There is no way to indicate that a permit from a given state is (non)residential.

If concealedcarry.net can update their reciprocity tables, they would generate the better map.

How do you figure that? There is a legend on the lower right that differentiates between resident and accepting all permits.

Am I missing something in what you are saying?

2a4all

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
2a4all wrote:

How do you figure that? There is a legend on the lower right that differentiates between resident and accepting all permits.

The map itself should show in which states the user may CC, without having to refer to legends or footnotes to "mentally" cross out states that don't honor one or more of the user's permits.

Concealedcarry.net has the right idea, but they only assume one resident permit among those held by a user, when in fact (s)he could have several. Military personnel might have a valid resident CC permit from their home state and a valid resident CC permit issued by the state in which they are domiciled by virtue of their orders. Such individuals could easily be stationed in a state that doesn't honor their home state permit.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

2a4all wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
2a4all wrote:

The map itself should show in which states the user may CC, without having to refer to legends or footnotes to "mentally" cross out states that don't honor one or more of the user's permits.

Concealedcarry.net has the right idea, but they only assume one resident permit among those held by a user, when in fact (s)he could have several. Military personnel might have a valid resident CC permit from their home state and a valid resident CC permit issued by the state in which they are domiciled by virtue of their orders. Such individuals could easily be stationed in a state that doesn't honor their home state permit.
I find that the handgunlaw.us map is easy to understand. Its either a resident only, or all permits accepted status. I see no problem with it...