Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Popup ads and HTML refreshing out of control

Post imported post

So, I generally try not to run my browsers in heavy-duty ad protection mode, because I generally try to avoid sites with annoying ads in the first place (take note, admins).

At any rate, I go to browse OCDO today, using a browser not set to block HTML refreshing, and lo and behold pages are refreshing on me during mid-read, taking me to off-site advertisers, and generally annoying me.

Anybody else experience this? Now, obviously I should block HTML refreshing, but I don't think OCDO is wise to be running ads like this in the first place.

What say you?

Post imported post

Once in a while I have had the sameannoying ad that keeps poping up 2 or 3 times even when closing it. It only happens on OCDO.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Yes, I am already sick and tired of being asked if I'm ready for tournament poker every time I click a link.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    So, I generally try not to run my browsers in heavy-duty ad protection mode, because I generally try to avoid sites with annoying ads in the first place (take note, admins).

At any rate, I go to browse OCDO today, using a browser not set to block HTML refreshing, and lo and behold pages are refreshing on me during mid-read, taking me to off-site advertisers, and generally annoying me.

Anybody else experience this? Now, obviously I should block HTML refreshing, but I don't think OCDO is wise to be running ads like this in the first place.

What say you?
    You have spyware.

Yes you do, stop denying it

No, seriously, you do... I work tech support for a living.

download, install, and use this: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Banned

Post imported post

I thought it was just me.

It's not doing it today though.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    marshaul wrote:

What say you?
    You have spyware.

Yes, I do have spyware, and right now that includes the keylogger I'm running on your machine. :P

Edit: On the other hand, on the off chance that you're serious, allow me to inform you that tech support makes me giggle.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    marshaul wrote:

What say you?
    You have spyware.

Yes, I do have spyware, and right now that includes the keylogger I'm running on your machine. :P

Edit: On the other hand, on the off chance that you're serious, allow me to inform you that tech support makes me giggle.
    Giggle all you want. I don't have spyware.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I do not have spyware* and I just noticed the same refresh via "incentaclick.com/nclick.php?id=16176&cid=5364" to "track.bigbrandpromotions.com/SplashPage.aspx?g=eb5186c435e44049bea7c575c5d29641 &c=913%20&s=16176"

* This PC runs multiple anti-spyware programs, antivirus, firewall, popup blockers etc.

Edit to add: looking at the page source the most likely culprit is one of the adbrite advertisers

Post imported post

I have a desktop and a laptop here at work running IE. No popups.

I have 2 desktops at home both running Firefox. 1 is linux, the other is vista. Also havethe laptop running vista with firefox. I have adds turned off on the home pc's, but I can't install anything at work.

This IS user error.

PEBKAC!

P.S.

the add at the top right of the forum is NOT "browser refresh," its just aphp applet.

Post imported post

I posted this thread hours ago, and the refreshing issue has since been (in my case) entirely resolved. Go back and play with your little computer-toys now. :P

Let me give you some advice: as a tech support guy, you are unwise to presume you know more about computers than random people on the internet. You're only likely to be right once. In this case you didn't even get that lucky.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I have not got any popups, I am talking about a redirect that takes the browser away from opencarry.org without me clicking or interacting with the page in any way. It had only happened to me one time and I am trying to remember which adbrite served ad was showing at the time (been moving around the site but the same ad hasn't been served again).

It is not user error.

Post imported post

MarkNH wrote:
    I have not got any popups, I am talking about a redirect that takes the browser away from opencarry.org without me clicking or interacting with the page in any way. It had only happened to me one time and I am trying to remember which adbrite served ad was showing at the time (been moving around the site but the same ad hasn't been served again).

It is not user error.
    Yes, and one of the redirects contained a popup, at least at 10pm last night. Definitely not user error, but then I wouldn't have posted this thread if I didn't already know conclusively that user error had been eliminated.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

I have 2 desktops at home both running Firefox. 1 is linux, the other is vista. Also have¬*the laptop running vista with firefox. I have adds turned off on the home pc's, but I can't install anything at work.
    Ooh, does this mean we get to have a measuring contest? How many OSes do you think I'm running in my house, right now? I'll give you bonus points if you can guess how many I've got running at my colo, as well. :P

Edit: Alright, I'm sorry, I shouldn't pick on your because you work tech support. Sometimes I just... amuse myself.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Bravo_Sierra wrote:

I have 2 desktops at home both running Firefox. 1 is linux, the other is vista. Also havethe laptop running vista with firefox. I have adds turned off on the home pc's, but I can't install anything at work.
    Ooh, does this mean we get to have a measuring contest? How many OSes do you think I'm running in my house, right now? I'll give you bonus points if you can guess how many I've got running at my colo, as well. :P

Edit: Alright, I'm sorry, I shouldn't pick on your because you work tech support. Sometimes I just... amuse myself.
    Feel better now?

If you know so much why did you post at all?

Post imported post

Well, I posted because for a short while last the forum was basically useless (or would have been for the average visitor). I thought the admins might want to let their hosts at mywowbb know that something should be done.

What I'm not sure is why you posted. My computers don't like being accused of having malware! :shock: How would you like it if I called you ugly? :P

Banned

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Well, I posted because for a short while last the forum was basically useless (or would have been for the average visitor). I thought the admins might want to let their hosts at mywowbb know that something should be done.

What I'm not sure is why you posted. My computers don't like being accused of having malware! :shock: How would you like it if I called you ugly? :P
    Come on, he was just trying to be helpful.

Spybot is by far the best spyware remove I've found, just as an aside. Doesn't hurt to run a scan.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:

OK fine I can agree to stop being mean.

But....

9 times out of ten, in the past 27 years I've been using computers... the issue you described points to some kind of user error.

sorry

Post imported post

I always surf with Firefox, running Script Blocker. So, I haven't seen any of those problems.

It can be a bit of an annoyance having to unblock web sites to see certain content, but to me at least, it is less of an annoyance than dealing with unwanted advertisements, and web pages taking over my computer.

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    Come on, he was just trying to be helpful.

Spybot is by far the best spyware remove I've found, just as an aside.¬* Doesn't hurt to run a scan.
    I know, I know. I said I was sorry. :P

I simply found the spyware accusation inordinately hilarious, but I'm over it now. Apologies to all. /thread

Post imported post

As a (former) IT Tech (not tech support, but the actual tech) I must admit that my first suggestion to your problem would be to run a spyware/virus scan on your machine. That having been done I would then proceed to checking out your mouse, especially if you have a 'touch pad' type mouse on a laptop, i have found them to be especially problematic (I have one that seems to randomly 'click' without me being anywhere near it...) then with the added information of other users having the same problem, i would go to the ad host, as it seems was the case in this specific case, but certainly NOT the norm in the tech realm.
    I am a little curious as to what browser you all are using that have had this issue. I personally use Firefox almost exclusively (except for a few sites that I have to use that require IE) and have not seen this issue. There may be a 'exploit' for IE that the ad writer is useing and an update to your IE may fix this issue.

Post imported post

Ugh, who uses IE? I prefer Safari for speed, but I use Firefox secondarily. I keep Opera around on one of my machines to make jokes about. At any rate, the problem isn't browser specific.

You IT guys are too used to newbs. :P Those of us who are experienced with machines know to exhaust possible human errors before doing something like posting on teh intarwebz.

Edit: Oh, and since it begs the question, I run Mac OS X on all my primary machines. Although, I've been known to use Safari in XP anyway. :P

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

for any who are interested, having been in IT for 15 years, there is certainly something happening with at least one of the ads. I had some spyware secretly installed on my laptop while on this forum, so it's happening.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'm still having problems. Everything you guys have mentioned above.

I know little about IT. But I do know it is specific to this forum. Other sites I visit regularly have not changed at all.

If someone has a moment, please PM me with things I can do to mitigate or solve. I've got IE (7?) I think.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Spyware? What is this spyware of which you speak? I'm running Firefox and Linux, no problems here... :P My touchpad, like all touchpads I have used under Linux though seems to have a mind of it's own at random times....

Post imported post

The firs time I open this thread early this morning an ad popped up at the bottom of the screen and redirected my browser. I hit back a few times and returned to the forum.

I have never had another popup or redirectwhile checking out OCDO before this morning or since. Iusevarious versions of Widows and IE 6 & 7. Ihave no problems with popups or redirects on almost any site except those very persistant ones. I also am one of those stupid IT people that all of you like to make fun of but I can tell you that if you are having problems on OCDO like several of you are describing it is in your machine. I get sick and tired of the people that constantly download spyware and related trojans right after I clean their machine and then claim they didn't do anything.

From how the popup acted this moarning I would almost say that it had something to do with the OP embeding it in the thread from his machine. I have tried all of the browsers and haven't found one that is any more immune than the other. That is after experimenting with 400 machines, most of them being public use PC's. Every case of PC infection that I have come across (and that is hundreds) can be traced back to the user failing to use the PC properly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast