• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ammo

Granum

imported post

It seams that the last 3 weeks I went to wal~mart to get there cheep ammo they were out, same with a lot of the online stores. Is anyone ells having this problem?

I don't want to pay 23 bucks for 50 at the local gun shop when u can get 100 rounds of 9mm Remington from the same price

sirpuma

imported post

The whole country is having the same issue. Supply is down, driving prices up. Since the election, nation wide sales of firearms and ammunition has skyrocketed. I plan to be at the next gun show bright and early to get some good deals on ammo.

David.Car

imported post

It all depends on the type of ammo you want... .223? Yeah that stuff is being sold out and gouged all across the nation.

Blazer Brass 9mm? That seems to sell out at the local Wal-Marts very quickly... Other than that, ammo isn't that hard to find.

If you are looking to pick up .223/5.56 may I suggest Palmetto State Armory. Great prices, super cheap shipping...

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

a few weeks ago Walmart had blazer 9mm on sale for $8/50 I bought all 6 boxes on hand.

Don't expect to find any ammo "deals" at the gun show on Saturday. Call around check online prices before you just up and buy a case or rounds.

jarhead1911A

imported post

It seems to me that anyone who knows about the shortages will be taking advantage of the situation if they have it to sell, Lets face it everyone is out for themselfs, as far as gun shows especially wac shows all the vendors there all have the same price and they are rediculious to say the least. Talk about taking advantage of people, I have half a mind to rent a table there and just post the prices for the guns and such in local gun shops compaired to what they are offering just to show people how greedy these people really are. They act like they have the last gun on earth and your gunna get raped in the price just because they can do it.

It's like no one knows what sticking together means anymore, Good luck finding decent priced ammo anymore because of all the speculation on hand everyone is gun grabbing and ammo hawging because of speculation mmm reminds me of when they were speculating on fuel prices and looked what happened?

Just my 2 cents............. :cuss:

just_a_car

imported post

Agreed, jarhead. Heck, it would even be worth it to get a table, a laptop with WiFi, and show people what the prices for guns are on gunbroker.com. They'd flip! The internet pricing, even with shipping and FFL transfer fee, is easily $20-100 (or more) less than what they're asking.

Cougar125

imported post

Ammo is going up...gun prices are going up. Obama has people scared and those that have "surplus" think it is worth its weight in gold.

Oak Harbor Wal-Mart is out of 9mm and .45 ACP, but should get roughly 50 boxes on Saturday so I'm going to go buy 200 bucks worth. Just gotta talk to the guy behind the counter and ask. Blazer Brass is 8.93/50 of 9mm and 14.93/50 of .45 ACP here. After tax season I'm gonna get a reloading setup and do that to try and save...probably won't save much, but its a start.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's simple economics. If everyone wants ammo and mags and they keep selling it for a low price, it will be snapped up by the relatively few number of people who get there first and the later arrivals won't get any. The free market allows the prices to rise to meet demand. Because of this say you WANT 1,000 rds, but only NEED 500 rounds and you WANT 10 mags but only NEED 5 to meet your personal defense and shooting priorities. So you go to the store and find that the prices are up 20%, so instead of buying the 1,000 rounds you settle for 500 rounds and instead of buying 10 mags you only buy the 5 you really needed. When I come into the store a few hours later I am also able to buy 500 rounds and 5 mags because they are still on the shelf because you didn't buy them. Eventually demand, production and price catch up to each other and the prices stabilize or, more often, start to fall because all the people already have what they need and aren't going to buy any more until the price falls to what they are willing to pay for what they just want. So price increases like this, of a limited commodity, actually allows many people to have some of the commodity rather than a few people have a lot of that commodity.

I don't expect Obama to do anything significant against gun rights his first term. so I didn't rush out and buy a bunch of ammo, mags or new guns as I already have most of what I need for personal defense and sporting purposes. I've bought a little more ammo I'll be shooting up in the near future just to hedge against immediate price increases but I expect that with the global recession that the price of precious metals such as copper and lead will come down and that once this buying frenzy is over and Obama does nothing against gun rights for a year or so that all these prices are going to come back down. I could be wrong but I'm willing to risk it.

Cougar125

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
It's simple economics. If everyone wants ammo and mags and they keep selling it for a low price, it will be snapped up by the relatively few number of people who get there first and the later arrivals won't get any. The free market allows the prices to rise to meet demand. Because of this say you WANT 1,000 rds, but only NEED 500 rounds and you WANT 10 mags but only NEED 5 to meet your personal defense and shooting priorities. So you go to the store and find that the prices are up 20%, so instead of buying the 1,000 rounds you settle for 500 rounds and instead of buying 10 mags you only buy the 5 you really needed. When I come into the store a few hours later I am also able to buy 500 rounds and 5 mags because they are still on the shelf because you didn't buy them. Eventually demand, production and price catch up to each other and the prices stabilize or, more often, start to fall because all the people already have what they need and aren't going to buy any more until the price falls to what they are willing to pay for what they just want. So price increases like this, of a limited commodity, actually allows many people to have some of the commodity rather than a few people have a lot of that commodity.

I don't expect Obama to do anything significant against gun rights his first term. so I didn't rush out and buy a bunch of ammo, mags or new guns as I already have most of what I need for personal defense and sporting purposes. I've bought a little more ammo I'll be shooting up in the near future just to hedge against immediate price increases but I expect that with the global recession that the price of precious metals such as copper and lead will come down and that once this buying frenzy is over and Obama does nothing against gun rights for a year or so that all these prices are going to come back down. I could be wrong but I'm willing to risk it.

I see what you're saying. It really is simple economics. The Obama issue could go either way, seeing as how he already has started some opposites of what he was saying during the campaign. Not trying to turn this political, but it is happening.

Generally, I don't keep more ammunition than I intend to shoot on my next trip to the range, but that can be anywhere from 50 to 500 rounds. Depends on the mood I'm in. I usually just buy a box here, buy a box there. If I'm at the Wally World and they have ammo, I'll buy a box. Only reason I'm justifying my purchase of a mass quantity, is that itis all I asked for as a Christmas gift, and it will be wrapped as it should be under the tree.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I keep more than my next typical trip to the range on hand. And I am certainly not suggesting any amount that anyone should buy or should be allowed to buy. That is a decision everyone must make themselves based on their own needs, wants and finances. I only intended to comment as to the idea that somehow the high prices are related to greed or other malicious motivations.

Cougar125

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I keep more than my next typical trip to the range on hand. And I am certainly not suggesting any amount that anyone should buy or should be allowed to buy. That is a decision everyone must make themselves based on their own needs, wants and finances. I only intended to comment as to the idea that somehow the high prices are related to greed or other malicious motivations.
Well said.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

I know some will say "you can never have too much ammo", but really, how much do you really need? If you never plan on killing your food or getting into a shoot-out with the Feds, then how much? Hopefully you will never have to use your "good" ammo (HST, ect) so shouldn't a couple boxes suffice and a few hundred Blazer Brass for practice? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bullets are all fine and dandy, but I like to have them inside a case with powder and a primer. Otherwise they are just good for launching with a slingshot...:p

adamsesq

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
I know some will say "you can never have too much ammo", but really, how much do you really need? If you never plan on killing your food or getting into a shoot-out with the Feds, then how much? Hopefully you will never have to use your "good" ammo (HST, ect) so shouldn't a couple boxes suffice and a few hundred Blazer Brass for practice? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud...

You should have enough in your possession right now to last you as long as you want, to do whatever you want (hunting, target shooting, self-defense, etc.) if you could never buy another round.

-adamsesq

David.Car

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I don't expect Obama to do anything significant against gun rights his first term.
This is what I have been telling everyone I can. This guy isn't that stupid. He isn't going to risk a possible second term by going after firearms in his first 4 years. The panic should not be occuring until he gets RE-Elected... Than you should be afraid.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

David.Car wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I don't expect Obama to do anything significant against gun rights his first term.
This is what I have been telling everyone I can. This guy isn't that stupid. He isn't going to risk a possible second term by going after firearms in his first 4 years. The panic should not be occuring until he gets RE-Elected... Than you should be afraid.
That gives you 4 years to stock up :O If we only had more time :cuss:

adamsesq

imported post

David.Car wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Not stupid, but arrogant. So arrogant in fact that he will view what has happened in the past as not applicable to him. After all, it's time for a change.

I hope and pray you are right, but I don't think you are.

-adamsesq