• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TIME OUT FROM POLITICS, LETS HAVE FUN

Alexcabbie

imported post

Remember the old spy show "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."?? The standard sidearm for "UNCLE" agents was a modified Walther P38 that could be converted to a carbine with an extended mag and shoulder stock.

I just got into an argument (what fun!) with a classmate from my kiddie days who claims that the mag extension works, while I pointed out that with a P38 the baseplate must engage the mag catch at the butt of the weapon and an extended mag would semi-hilariously (gunfights are the sort of thing you laugh about later if at all) simply drop out of the gun.

In the research I did for my rebuttal I found that the "see in the dark sight" on the THRUSH rifle was an early model Sniperscope that did in real life as well as the TV sho emit a warbling tone. I think the THRUSH rifle was a 1960s model Fabrique National with a banana mag to make it look meaner.

Then here were other cool-but-unlikely firearms toys like the Roy Rodgers hat with the derringer that popped out and fired. Basically it was marketed to kidds who had yet to learn about Newton's laws of motion.

It is probably a vain hope knowing this bunch but as far as possible lets keep politics outta this thread, okay?

Aran

Banned
imported post

Are you really saying that with all the gunsmiths in the world, you don't think any of them could design an extended mag that would work just fine, or not in the same style as from the show is what you're saying?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Remember the old spy show "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."?? The standard sidearm for "UNCLE" agents was a modified Walther P38 that could be converted to a carbine with an extended mag and shoulder stock.

I just got into an argument (what fun!) with a classmate from my kiddie days who claims that the mag extension works, while I pointed out that with a P38 the baseplate must engage the mag catch at the butt of the weapon and an extended mag would semi-hilariously (gunfights are the sort of thing you laugh about later if at all) simply drop out of the gun.

In the research I did for my rebuttal I found that the "see in the dark sight" on the THRUSH rifle was an early model Sniperscope that did in real life as well as the TV sho emit a warbling tone. I think the THRUSH rifle was a 1960s model Fabrique National with a banana mag to make it look meaner.

Then here were other cool-but-unlikely firearms toys like the Roy Rodgers hat with the derringer that popped out and fired. Basically it was marketed to kidds who had yet to learn about Newton's laws of motion.

It is probably a vain hope knowing this bunch but as far as possible lets keep politics outta this thread, okay?
I remember getting some of the toy version man from uncle stuff for Christmas, but I'm old.

Deanimator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

That was the SECOND gun used on the "Man from UNCLE". The ORIGINAL guns were M1910 .32acp Mausers, or one of the later versions of the single action blowback Mauser .32. They had similar accessories.

At least one of the P-38 based "UNCLE Specials" was full-auto, which got the prop department into some hot water, since no prior approval from the Treasury Department was sought, norany paperwork submitted. Nobody went to jail, but it was a tense situation for a while.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Aran wrote:
Are you really saying that with all the gunsmiths in the world, you don't think any of them could design an extended mag that would work just fine, or not in the same style as from the show is what you're saying?
I can't remember Solo or Kuryakin ever actually ejecting a spent magazine; this being television fantasy 60s style nobody ever ran outta ammo until the plot demanded it and they were stuck with an empty firearm. But I lookedup some examples of the UNCLE pistol and did not notice a catch-engaging protrusion on any of the extended mags.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Personally, anytime I find myself in a mountainous, avalanche prone area I experience a strong desire to sing "Oy, oy, oy, oy... my Bulgarian baby"loudly,just to see if it will actually produce an avalanche. I did have a "Six finger" though.

Tomahawk

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
The 1980's cartoon Transformers featured a bad guy robot (known as a "Decepticon") named Megatron who transformed from a robot into a Walther P-38.

The toy Megatron also transformed into a toy P-38 and came with a barrel extension and a shoulder stock attachment. My little brother had one of these growing up:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/vmcburney/MegatronGun.jpg

MegatronGun.jpg

SHOOTER13

imported post

Oh...hell yea! When "playing army" as a kid, I ran around the block (rowhomes in NE Philly were city blocks with a driveway running behind the back yards of the twenty or so attached houses) with the newest high tech stuff of the day. I remember watching Han Solo, Illya Kuriakin, Mr. Waverly, and the agents of U.N.C.L.E. and Thrush fightin it out...and you weren't cool if you didn't own a set.

manuncle1-1.jpg
ManfromUncleguns.jpg