• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SC House getting concealed weapons bill

micmed

imported post

Posted 12-9-08 12:42PM
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - A South Carolina House member is filing a
bill to allow residents to carry weapons without a permit.
Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dan Cooper of Piedmont said
Tuesday he has filed legislation to allow any law-abiding citizen
to carry a weapon.
The Republican says concealed weapons permit laws and other
restrictions make it less likely people who obey the law will be
armed and does nothing to disarm people willing to break the law.
Tuesday is the first day House members can file new bills for
the legislative session that starts Jan. 13.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

micmed wrote:

to carry a weapon.
Enforcing the ban on concealed carry on non-residents would violates the article IV privileges and immunities clause.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

micmed wrote:

to carry a weapon.
This look s like an open carry bill to me - details??

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

On review of this section, and a new exemption for "a person carrying a concealableweapon in a manner not prohibited by law," I am wondering what currently makes open carry illegal in SC?

Thoughts - what other sections are there that might apply.

micmed

imported post

PT111 wrote:
If this bill even makes it out of committee in almost any form I wil be shocked.
That's what I thought about the National Parks carry rule. Not only did they make it easier to defend oneself, but they also returned SOME power back to the states. Go figure.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Mike wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

On review of this section, and a new exemption for "a person carrying a concealableweapon in a manner not prohibited by law," I am wondering what currently makes open carry illegal in SC?

Thoughts - what other sections are there that might apply.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/cgi-bin...ry=Code&conid=4287518&result_pos=0&keyval=329

The URL will execute the full text search for "pistol". Open carry prohibition and exceptions is copied below.

SECTION 16-23-20
. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. [SC ST SEC 16-23-20]

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor's constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty;

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) guards authorized by law to possess handguns and engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency of the United States;

(7) members of authorized military or civil organizations while parading or when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;

(10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one's residence or changing or moving one's fixed place of business;

(11) a prison guard while engaged in his official duties;

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee's person and a location specified in item (9);

(13) the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of a fixed place of business, while at the fixed place of business, and the employee of a fixed place of business, other than a business subject to Section 16-23-465, while at the place of business; however, the employee may exercise this privilege only after: (a) acquiring a permit pursuant to item (12), and (b) obtaining the permission of the owner or person in legal control or legal possession of the premises;

(14) a person engaged in firearms-related activities while on the premises of a fixed place of business which conducts, as a regular course of its business, activities related to sale, repair, pawn, firearms training, or use of firearms, unless the premises is posted with a sign limiting possession of firearms to holders of permits issued pursuant to item (12);

(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.

(16) Any person on a motorcycle when the ... is secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar closed accessory container attached, whether permanently or temporarily, to the motorcycle.

AllAmerican

imported post

Am I reading the bill correctly? It would be legal for anyone to open carry without a permit nd permits would be required to conceal?

While I think it should be fine to carry it either way with no permit Id have no problem with the bill.

Of course Ill have to read it again.

I too would be surprised if this went anywhere.

AllAmerican

imported post

Mike wrote:
micmed wrote:

to carry a weapon.
This look s like an open carry bill to me - details??
Looks like an open carry bill to me as well. If Im reading right a permit would be needed for CC.

I just posted a message at the Grass Roots forum about his. Seems they have no info up on the website yet and Ive seen no posts about it. Hmmm you'd think they would have been first to know.

This is a great start Id say to the new session. I believe it would also allow folks to carry on school grounds and dining establishments.:celebrate

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I think the time is ripe for you SC guys to get your legislators to intrioduce an open carry bill - have you all tried yet with your respective sen and rep?

The SC petition has gotten no publicty yet - I thin a bill would get us articles and signatures!

AllAmerican

imported post

Mike,

I believe this is an open carry bill. I just read it again and it seems open carry would be unpermitted but CC would which is fine by me.

Now as to getting something together, I know Grass Roots represents the 2A advocates but I have not joined as of yet because from what I see they may have it together on the legislation but they dont have much in the way for their members. I have offered to revamp the website for them and install a proper forum for them instead of the silly yahoo groups thing they have now.

Ill be calling errr writing them tomorrow. It seems at least one GR member is not happy about the website and also the fact that GR did not inform its membership about the bill but rather they found out through The State which is the local paper.

Im all for working this and working with GR but Id like to see the folks in charge get it together.

I also agree that SC is ripe for it. I believe SC along with a few other states could lead the charge in restoring our 2A rights to what the founding fathers intended.

micmed

imported post

Mike wrote:
I think the time is ripe for you SC guys to get your legislators to intrioduce an open carry bill - have you all tried yet with your respective sen and rep?

The SC petition has gotten no publicty yet - I thin a bill would get us articles and signatures!
Here is the link to the petition for those that missed it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/scocp/

M

mdgary

imported post

We need to show our support for this bill as law-abiding citizens and gun owners..

Can someone that knows more than me , let us know how and whenwe canshow our support for this bill ? Maybe call our senertors and let them know we want this bill to pass..

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I suggest a written and mailed letter.

The easier it is to delete your communication then the easier it is disregarded. Make a big mess in his office with lots of letters that have to be swept up and carried out.

"Lawsy me. You see dat pile Ah toted oudda Massa Strom occife? Dey's mad at him!"

And if some namby-pamby thinks that's racist, NO! That's just exactly how Cousin Arthur Ravanel speaks.

M

mdgary

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

The easier it is to delete your communication then the easier it is disregarded. Make a big mess in his office with lots of letters that have to be swept up and carried out.

"Lawsy me. You see dat pile Ah toted oudda Massa Strom occife? Dey's mad at him!"

And if some namby-pamby thinks that's racist, NO! That's just exactly how Cousin Arthur Ravanel speaks.
Rit me ah letta en let me know who I should mayl it tuh.

micmed

imported post

mdgary wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Rit me ah letta en let me know who I should mayl it tuh.
All the contact info is here:
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/

340mopar

imported post

I can not see where this indicates open carry. The exception still states Concealed Weapon ... What am I missing.

I see it finally addresses security and PI's ...

OK I think I see where it is going now. .... it makes the original obsolete, and addresses illegaly concealed only ... interesting