• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car carry?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Well late night runs to fast food places here in Norfolk have made me a little worried and I would like to carry in my truck/car. I know this has been covered but I can't remember exactly what to do. It is very uncomfortable to wear it in the holster and also could be considered concealed that way. Setting it on the seat works ok but I don't like the fact that it can go flying around in case I need to stop quick or something. What do you all do to open carry and stay legal in the car? For now I am only carrying in the car when I go to the drive thrus late at night.

Thanks

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

I always just left my pistol in my holster, it remained fairly visible. The one time I was pulled over, it was not an issue. If you don't want to leave it on your hip, depending on your holster you may be able hook it up on the passenger's seat belt, preventing it from flying in an accident.

nova

imported post

I have a center console in my truck. When I don't just leave it on my hip, I either tuck the holstered gun between the console and passenger seat, or if I have a passenger, I put it in the rubber 'tray' that is on the floor console to keep it from sliding around. I don't consider either of these methods concealed carry, because if you're standing outside looking in, you can see it easily.

curtiswr

imported post

You could buckle the passenger seat belt and hook your holster onto it, for a cheap no-money-spent fix.

Then there are options like this, if you have somewhere to screw/mount to:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA201-1.html
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA105-1.html

Or, I've seen on other forums where people have taken kydex holsters, like Blackhawk Serpas, and just screwed them into the console where convenient for them.

Good luck!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nova wrote:
I have a center console in my truck. When I don't just leave it on my hip, I either tuck the holstered gun between the console and passenger seat, or if I have a passenger, I put it in the rubber 'tray' that is on the floor console to keep it from sliding around. I don't consider either of these methods concealed carry, because if you're standing outside looking in, you can see it easily.

What you describe doing may be, according to case law, concealing your handgun.

One option that has multiple attachment possibilities is the Wilderness Safepacker http://store.thewilderness.com/product_info.php?products_id=18- it can be attached to your seatbelt, the passenger-side seatbelt, or with some doublesided tape to the dashboard. As long as you keep the flap open it will function legally (IANAL) for open carry.

Barsony Belts & Holsters http://www.barsonyholstersandbelts.com/servlet/StoreFrontused tosell a nylon dashboard holster that also had a slot where you could put a magazine/speedstrip. It fastened with a couple of strips of sticky tape. I could not find it on their website, but you might call them to see if they still manufacture it. (Mine is mounted in the otherwise useless slot/shelf in the middle of the dashboard. The grip/butt sticks out so that it is clearly identifiable as a handgun, but the thing holds tightly enough that it will not fall out over some rough roads and trails it has been tested on.)

You could try doing something like that on the top of the dashboardwith an inexpensive nylon holster and some double-sided velcro. (remove the holster to an out-of-sight location when you are not in the car - keeps folks from breaking windows to see if they can find the gun that fits the holster)

stay safe.

skidmark

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I think what I am going to do is cut the tab off of the paddle holster part of my serpa. I can never get the darn thing off!!! Once I cut this off I can just lift the outer tabs over my belt and pull the whole thing off. Then I can just find a way to slide the paddle over something in my truck or car.:lol:

AbNo

imported post

WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:
I always just left my pistol in my holster, it remained fairly visible. The one time I was pulled over, it was not an issue. If you don't want to leave it on your hip, depending on your holster you may be able hook it up on the passenger's seat belt, preventing it from flying in an accident.
Honestly? I put a nylon strap around my passenger seat. If someone is sitting there, they can hold it. If not, the holster clips right on.

It looks kind of like this. (I went into the cold and rain for this.... :p)

foxcall

imported post

It usually stays on my hip too - but sometimes I get self-conscious because my holster sits lefty and it might be harder to see that way. Anyone else have that problem? Would that still count as oc?

Anyways when I do take it off, I just put it in my cup holder area. It does a good job of securing the firearm.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

My problem is that I have a black glock, black serpa, and black interior. The seatbelt also goes over the pistol and the butt of the pistol digs into the seat. The holster also rubs on the belt clip. I just think if a cop saw it they may say that it's concealed:uhoh: It is terribly uncomfortable is my main issue.:banghead: Maybe I should get a thigh rig, but they are so expensive!!!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't know why people have so many problems. I generally carry in a SERPA paddle or a Minotaur IWB and just wear it normally on my hip in the car. There have only been a few very vehicles I can't comfortably carry it that way and access it pretty easily while driving.

foxcall

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
foxcall wrote:
I just put it in my cup holder area. It does a good job of securing the firearm.
Just don't get confused and take a "sip" through the straw:what:

Heh yea, although it's never happened before I imagine it going something like this:

"man, all this driving is making me thirsty. I could go for a tasty beverage right about now.................OMG!!" :lol:

Bubba Ron

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I think what I am going to do is cut the tab off of the paddle holster part of my serpa. I can never get the darn thing off!!!....
I believe that nasty little tab is there to help prevent a gun grab....concerning how to carry in a car, do a search on "Reverend73"s posts and check out the inexpensive rig he installed in his M3....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12251&forum_id=54&jump_to=199970#p199970

It's secure, readily accessible, looks great and is definitely not concealed....OR come to the dining out on Thursday and see for yourself....

edited to add shameless plug for our Tidewater dining out on the 18th at the Village Inn in Virginia Beach:cool:

celticredneck

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I just think if a cop saw it they may say that it's concealed:uhoh:

If the cop can see it, how can he say it is concealed. I know someone who was charged with carrying a concealed knife. The person went to court, and the question was asked, How did you know she was carrying a concealed knife. The officer replied, "I could see it". Case dismissed.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

celticredneck wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I just think if a cop saw it they may say that it's concealed:uhoh:

If the cop can see it, how can he say it is concealed. I know someone who was charged with carrying a concealed knife. The person went to court, and the question was asked, How did you know she was carrying a concealed knife. The officer replied, "I could see it". Case dismissed.
Good point:lol: But also remember that police usually ask if you have weapons in the car and will ask where. You already had to admit that you had a weapon and if he knows you have it but then asks where because he can't see it, then it would be concealed.

Bubba Ron

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
But also remember that police usually ask if you have weapons in the car and will ask where. You already had to admit that you had a weapon and if he knows you have it but then asks where because he can't see it, then it would be concealed.
IF they ask you if you have a weapon in the car, by all means tell the truth. If it's in PLAIN VIEW, it is NOT concealed - and if he/she does not see see it, tell him/her where it is - they may not be used to seeing it where it is, but as long as its in plain view - no foul.