• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dixie Gun & Knife Show in Raleigh?

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I did not go to the last one that was here, but the line to get in was apparently about 1 hour long. Tickets are $7 if you print a coupon and bring it with you.

There are good deals and bad deals, but everything is generally on par with retail sales. You find the best deals on the first day for high demand items, and on the last day for left overs that retailers are trying to get rid of.

You just need to know exactly what you are looking for and what you are willing to spend for it.

Custodian

imported post

If you know where the dealers are coming from and how long it took them to get there, you can generally get a better deal from them versus someone who just came in from across town or in the next city.

I got my first rifle (destroyed when my apartment flooded), a scoped Savage Arms, in 308 Winchester, from the Dixie show over a decade ago.

acritical

imported post

I do not believe you can carry at the Raleigh gun show whether open or concealed, due to the fact that it is on that State Fairgrounds, and therefore considered State property.

Dragon88

imported post

I went to the last one, it wasn't that great. I was hoping to find a "super steal" on an AR, but everything was way overpriced. I suspect you will have the same problem with your search for a 1911. But hey, if all else fails, Ed's Guns is right down the road so you can go there afterward and buy your 1911 for cheaper and in better condition.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Dragon88 wrote:
I went to the last one, it wasn't that great. I was hoping to find a "super steal" on an AR, but everything was way overpriced. I suspect you will have the same problem with your search for a 1911. But hey, if all else fails, Ed's Guns is right down the road so you can go there afterward and buy your 1911 for cheaper and in better condition.

I've heard a couple other people recommend Ed's Guns before. Must be a spiffy spot!

Thanks.

Dragon88

imported post

It's funny, Ed's was one of the vendors at the Gun Show. I saw they had a brand of ammo there I normally buy that was marked up $4-5 a box. I went to their actual store not an hour later and bought it for normal price. Ed's is a great store, be sure to check out their used pistol section.

RayBurton72

imported post

I routinely carry at the Raleigh Guns shows(and plenty of other people also) - though they will put a zip tie through the action to ensure that it is unloaded inside the building

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

We go to every Dixie Gun Show here in Raleigh. The lines were VERY long for this last show. We waited about 45 minutes, as opposed to about 15 minutes for the last few shows.

The prices at this last show were a little high. It was so packed it was hard to navigate through the crowd to see what was for sale. I saw ammo going for twice the price other dealers were selling it for in their gun shops.

AK's and AR's were crazy high. I bought an AK about two weeks before the show, and the same AK's inside the show were over twice the price.

You can carry, but the mag has to be removed and the Deputy at the door will zip tie your gun.

The show was fun, though. It's a pretty big show. It's always fun to go and see what everyone has, and to handle all of the guns. We'll probably go to the next one...

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

I always go with the intention of buying something, and I usually do. I was looking for an AR this last trip, but the prices were crazy. Ended up getting one at a gun shop for about $500 cheaper than the show.

Although, I did buy some AK mags, and ammo boxes...My wife almost bought a pistol, but decided to wait...

Mungo

imported post

My experiences the last few years is that the "deals" aren't to be had there anymore.

I go to look for the strange and unusual. But the prices I've seen at the shows can be matched or beat in dealer's stores.

20 years ago, I got a good deal on a Colt Commander 1911. That was the last firearm I bought at a show.

This past show, I had to go see how many people would be there screamin' for AR's. There were a ton. Even individual sellers (people walking around with a firearm for sale) had some enormous price tags on their AR's. The fear of scarcity at work.