• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does law enforcement just not get it at all?

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Read a local story in our rural tv news outlet's online version that quotes the County Sheriff as stating the safety inspection law change was done for safety reasons to prevent anyone from bringing a firearm into a police station. He just told the entire Upper Penninsula of Michigan that you cannot carry openly nor concealed a handgun into a police station now with the new law. I was simply uterly amazed at him and wondering if he normally makes things up while talking to the press.

Anyways, I posted my comment, mentioned OC and CC were legal in police stations completely and my beliefs in why the law was changed.

Story goes as this:
MARQUETTE COUNTY -- If you plan on buying and registering a handgun in the State of Michigan next year, the process is going to soon change.

After January 7, purchasers will no longer need to bring in their weapons to be inspected at their local police agencies.

However, they still need to send in two copies of the paperwork within 10 days of buying a handgun.

Marquette County Undersheriff Jack Schneider says the switch is a matter of safety.

"It prevents handguns from coming in the police department, someone returning to the lobby of a police department with a gun...it prevents our staff from handling those guns with the potential of something goin awry," says Schneider.

If you have any questions on the change, you can contact the Marquette Sheriff's Office at 225-8435.

ghostrider

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
Read a local story in our rural tv news outlet's online version that quotes the County Sheriff as stating the safety inspection law change was done for safety reasons to prevent anyone from bringing a firearm into a police station. He just told the entire Upper Penninsula of Michigan that you cannot carry openly nor concealed a handgun into a police station now with the new law. I was simply uterly amazed at him and wondering if he normally makes things up while talking to the press.

Anyways, I posted my comment, mentioned OC and CC were legal in police stations completely and my beliefs in why the law was changed.

Story goes as this:
MARQUETTE COUNTY -- If you plan on buying and registering a handgun in the State of Michigan next year, the process is going to soon change.

After January 7, purchasers will no longer need to bring in their weapons to be inspected at their local police agencies.

However, they still need to send in two copies of the paperwork within 10 days of buying a handgun.

Marquette County Undersheriff Jack Schneider says the switch is a matter of safety.

"It prevents handguns from coming in the police department, someone returning to the lobby of a police department with a gun...it prevents our staff from handling those guns with the potential of something goin awry," says Schneider.

If you have any questions on the change, you can contact the Marquette Sheriff's Office at 225-8435.
Link, please?

Decoligny

imported post

Poorly worded response from the Sherrif.

What it really does is reduce the number offirearms having to be brought into the Police Stations.

It virtually eliminates the need forthe staff to handlethose firearms that previously had to be brought into the station. It thus reduces the likelyhood of any staff members negligently shooting themselves with a law abiding citizen's firearm.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

It also cuts out an un-necessary trip to the local LEO's office. For those of use with a CPL, we NEVER have to go there again, to register a pistol. Only those without a CPL will still have to go to the station before buying a handgun to get a permit to purchase.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Poorly worded response from the Sherrif. 

What it really does is reduce the number of firearms having to be brought into the Police Stations.  

It virtually eliminates the need for the staff to handle those firearms that previously had to be brought into the station.  It thus reduces the likelyhood of any staff members negligently shooting themselves with a law abiding citizen's firearm.

But a law abiding citizen would be bringing the gun unloaded for inspection.

You only have it loaded once it's done being inspected and on your hip or concealed.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
It also cuts out an un-necessary trip to the local LEO's office.  For those of use with a CPL, we NEVER have to go there again, to register a pistol.  Only those without a CPL will still have to go to the station before buying a handgun to get a permit to purchase.

I've never understood why we don't just have a background check done at the store like most other states. I guess it's to keep track of private purchases too? Either way, it's most annoying.

For me, the only reasons I really want a CPL is so I don't have to unload/lock my gun every time I get back to my car, and so that I don't have to get a permit to purchase every time I feel like I may end up purchasing a gun.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:
It also cuts out an un-necessary trip to the local LEO's office. For those of use with a CPL, we NEVER have to go there again, to register a pistol. Only those without a CPL will still have to go to the station before buying a handgun to get a permit to purchase.

I've never understood why we don't just have a background check done at the store like most other states. I guess it's to keep track of private purchases too? Either way, it's most annoying.

For me, the only reasons I really want a CPL is so I don't have to unload/lock my gun every time I get back to my car, and so that I don't have to get a permit to purchase every time I feel like I may end up purchasing a gun.
The "Safety Inspection" goes back to the 1920's. It was enacted after the (in)famous Dr. Ossian Sweet court trial, where a black doctor was tried in court, essentially for defending his home from a bunch of racist thugs. The safety inspection requirement was started as a way to control who could or could not buy handguns.

After the Brady law came into being, it was determined that our permit to purchase a handgun was equal to a NICS check or better, so that's why the background check doesn't have to be done at the gun store, if you're buying a pistol.

Of course, a couple of years ago, BATFE determined that our CPL was also equal to a NICS check, so now, a CPL holder doesn't have to have a NICS check done either.

Originally, with this new law, they wanted to get rid of the permit to purchase system all together. But that was not to be. Maybe next time. ;)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the history lesson :) (not being sarcastic, I really did like it).

I truly don't mind the background check. I think it does double duty, to ensure gun owners are safe and stable-minded people, and to placate the antis.

SQLtables

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:

I truly don't mind the background check. I think it does double duty, to ensure gun owners are safe and stable-minded people, and to placate the antis.

But the question you need to ask yourself: Does the background check reduce violent crime?

I honestly don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing it does not, so there is little to no legitimate reason for it.

ghostrider

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:

Regardless of what you believe, it doesn't ensure gun owners are safe and stable-minded people, and the antis won't be placated until we give up all of them.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
But the question you need to ask yourself: Does the background check reduce violent crime?

I honestly don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing it does not, so there is little to no legitimate reason for it.

That right there is a great question. My guess is that anyone who wants a gun to commit a crime with (and plans on living afterward) will acquire a gun in a manner that cannot be traced (ie, illegally via a black market channel). So, no, a background check doesn't make it impossible for someone to get a gun, it just makes it harder for felons, and annoying for law-abiding citizens.

Should a convicted felon have a right to bear arms? According to the 2A, yes, of course (after all, once they've served their time and are free again, they still maintain their other rights given in the bill of rights...). But one way or the other, I think this should be a case-by-case basis decision, not a blanket decision.

Michigander

imported post

In regards to the title, if a cop doesn't get it, it's our fault for not making them get it. When we put forth a reasonable effort to inform the unenlightened, they DO get it.

RaspberrySurprise

imported post

They really must share where they got those gun proof forcefields at, I'd love to have one.