• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Online CHP Course Declined in Albemarle County

leprechaun117

imported post

I understand that there at fault right now, he'll be at the court house tomorrow morning at 8am. I'll let him know that he doesn't need an attorney for the appeal. I'll recommend he contacts the school, they're located somewhere in the newport news area.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
I understand that there at fault right now, he'll be at the court house tomorrow morning at 8am. I'll let him know that he doesn't need an attorney for the appeal. I'll recommend he contacts the school, they're located somewhere in the newport news area.

Let us know what happens.

leprechaun117

imported post

Oh, and he isn't taking the course to learn about guns, he been a hunter his whole life and has quite a collection of rifles, hand guns and ARs. Meeting the CHP requirement is the only reason for the class.

I'll be sure to keep the masses updated. He's printing the VSP website stuff to take with him as well. Let's hope for the best.

TFred

imported post

I don't mean to in any way discourage anyone from holding the court clerks and their staff accountable to fully comply with their duties as outlined by the Virginia Code.

At the same time, it's always important to remember that we need to be respectful in our interactions. This issue is extremely important to us who frequent these forums, but for many of the folks who will be encountered in this sort of a situation, it's 9 to 5 with a half hour for lunch, and they are understaffed, underpaid, and overworked, and this piece of paper is just the next on the list to process, along with the hundreds of others that they might encounter in a typical day of work.

While there may be some who drag it out on ideological grounds, I suspect for the most part, they are just trying to do their job, earn their check, pick up the kids, and head home for dinner, all the while trying to maintain a small bit of sanity.

Of course, having said all that... :) The law is the law, and none of the above excuses would get you out of a speeding ticket.

I'm just saying there is probably a balance, so be sure to not go into a situation with an attitude. :D We don't want to foster a stereotype of "another one of those jerky CHP dudes".

This is my opinon, and mine alone... Take it for what ever value you wish to give it.

TFred

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
Oh, and he isn't taking the course to learn about guns, he been a hunter his whole life and has quite a collection of rifles, hand guns and ARs. Meeting the CHP requirement is the only reason for the class.

I'll be sure to keep the masses updated. He's printing the VSP website stuff to take with him as well. Let's hope for the best.
Hunter's safety course might be another option. They're free, probably would be mildly interesting to him and they satisfy the requirement. I used a replacement certificate from when I took the class when I was 12. It cost me $10 to order the replacement certificate and it was accepted no problem.

http://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/ClassSchedule/Outline.aspx?dept=Hunting&text=t

TFred: I understand your point, and while I can empathize with what a clerk has on his/her plate, I would deal with some of that hassle in the name of the minimum $118,000 he/she is pulling in this year. Food for thought. Not meant to say you should be giving them grief by any means.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
He took a hunter safety course years ago but has no idea if it was NRA certified or anything. I'll shoot him that that though. He's hoping tomorrow morning works out for the best.
There's a 1-800 number to call if it was a VDGIF course. I had no idea what mine was or when I took it, but I called the number and just gave em my Name/DOB/etc and they pulled up the certificate from 1997 and mailed it to me for $10 on my credit card.

TFred

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
TFred: I understand your point, and while I can empathize with what a clerk has on his/her plate, I would deal with some of that hassle in the name of the minimum $118,000 he/she is pulling in this year. Food for thought. Not meant to say you should be giving them grief by any means.
Concur... just remember though, you are most likely never going to talk to the actual Clerk of the Court, which is an elected position with a big office in the back. They aren't the ones who sit at the little glass windows! :) Of course it depends on how big your locality is... most likely you'll be dealing with a clerical assistant of some sort making nowhere near that much.

TFred

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
This discussion item makes no sense - that Clerk had a duty to "send" the applicant a de facto permit - if he is going there a beggin' he is not helping the cause.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Polite but firm with facts in hand, generally solves the problem. Sometimes we need to be insistent and follow through.

Backing down and accepting extra legal "requirements" solves nothing and adds to the difficulties of others.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Polite but firm with facts in hand, generally solves the problem. Sometimes we need to be insistent and follow through.

Backing down and accepting extra legal "requirements" solves nothing and adds to the difficulties of others.

Yata hey
+1
I'd even say "Professional" but firm. When you get the usual answer tell them, that not complying with the statute is malfeasance and insist on talking to the Clerk him/her self.

Mike, could you define "The Cause" I keep hearing about?

I may be confusing goals with a cause.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
+1
I'd even say "Professional" but firm. When you get the usual answer tell them, that not complying with the statute is malfeasance and insist on talking to the Clerk him/her self.

Mike, could you define "The Cause" I keep hearing about?

I may be confusing goals with a cause.
This is not about "them" - it is about one person who apparently now is violating the law that we fought hard to get re de facto permits - the elected Clerk of Court.

The "cause" term is loosely used - there are many gun owners who just want to get their little problem solved - me, me, me, me, me.

Others stand up and put their foot down and force government to follow the law generally, helping all gun owners now and in the future.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Mike wrote:
The "cause" term is loosely used - there are many gun owners who just want to get their little problem solved - me, me, me, me, me.

Others stand up and put their foot down and force government to follow the law generally, helping all gun owners now and in the future.
Beyond open carry, thank you and for all that you do. Merry Christmas!

buster81

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
That is now the 3rd or 4thlocality that I have heard to deny the online course.

By my count...

Albemarle

Chesterfield

Nottoway

any others? I seem to remember somewhere in the HR area that denied the online course.
Good news. I just received my CHP after only about two weeks from Chesterfield County. Used the online course certificate.

leprechaun117

imported post

No update on friend #1 yet, he was out of town yesterday, but has not received the telephone call he was promised.

A second friend of mine who submitted his application a few days ago (with the online certificate) sent an email to the school. Here it is, followed by their response.

@virginia.edu wrote:
>Comments: Hello, I'm writing with a brief question about the certificate you provide subsequent to taking the course. A friend of mine recently took your course and presented the certificate with his CHP application, but was denied because the online certificate was not accepted. This occured with the Albemarle County Circuit Court. I recenlty took your course and submitted my application to the Charlottesville City Circuit Court. Do I need to worry about them declining my application due to the non-acceptance of your certificate? I'd really like to get my CHP as soon as possible, with Jan. 20 approaching quickly. Thanks for your help.

concealedcarry@cox.net
To: @virginia.edu
Subject: Re: The Concealed Carry Institute - Contact Us -
Sent: Dec 13, 2008 3:39 PM

We are going to be in court on Wednesday to resolve these issues. It has gotten carried away in four areas in Virginia. Please touch base with me Wednesday afternoon, and I will let you know what happened.

Thanks!

Sheriff

imported post

I am quite surprised to see this subject pop up. I would like to say the new judge in this court is a very intelligent and competent person. I have personally known her for three decades. I don't think she is arbitrarily denying to issue anybody aConcealed Handgun Permit without just cause. She will resolve the issue.

edit: Forgot the word think above

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
No update on friend #1 yet, he was out of town yesterday, but has not received the telephone call he was promised.

A second friend of mine who submitted his application a few days ago (with the online certificate) sent an email to the school. Here it is, followed by their response.

@virginia.edu wrote:
>Comments: Hello, I'm writing with a brief question about the certificate you provide subsequent to taking the course. A friend of mine recently took your course and presented the certificate with his CHP application, but was denied because the online certificate was not accepted. This occured with the Albemarle County Circuit Court. I recenlty took your course and submitted my application to the Charlottesville City Circuit Court. Do I need to worry about them declining my application due to the non-acceptance of your certificate? I'd really like to get my CHP as soon as possible, with Jan. 20 approaching quickly. Thanks for your help.

concealedcarry@cox.net
To: @virginia.edu
Subject: Re: The Concealed Carry Institute - Contact Us -
Sent: Dec 13, 2008 3:39 PM

We are going to be in court on Wednesday to resolve these issues. It has gotten carried away in four areas in Virginia. Please touch base with me Wednesday afternoon, and I will let you know what happened.

Thanks!

I found your problem...it's in bold :lol: