• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clackamas county sheriff to release personal CHL information

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/12.10.08%20Alert.html
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]12.10.08 LICENSE HOLDER'S PRIVACY IN PERIL[/font][/align][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Oregon Firearms Federation supporters have received, or soon will receive, a Political Action Committee mailing from us urging them to take advantage of Oregon's PAC tax credit law to support gun rights at no cost to them. Many will also be receiving a letter asking for donations to the political action committee of a group called "Oregon Gun Owners."

"Oregon Gun Owners" is not affiliated in any way with OFF. "Oregon Gun Owners" is the organization that helped write HB2535 in 1999. This bill was intended to end private sales at gun shows and require that your firearms be kept locked up. When OFF killed that bill in the 1999 session, "Oregon Gun Owners" attempted to place a measure on the 2000 ballot to achieve similar ends, but failed to collect enough signatures. A similar measure authored by Ginny Burdick made the ballot and was passed into law as Ballot Measure 5.

We have received a copy of the mailing done by "Oregon Gun Owners." It was sent to a woman with a CHL whose name appears on no mailing lists for gun owners except the Clackamas County Sheriff's CHL list. It was mailed to a PO box that she uses for no other purpose except her CHL.

The Clackamas County Sheriff has notified license holders that he will reveal their names if asked.

A recent news story indicated that Portland law firm O'Donnell,Clark & Crew was requesting the names of license holders on behalf of an "unnamed group."

Apparently they were successful in getting the names of Clackamas County residents. We do not know what other counties may have made this information available. (An associate of O'Donnell and Clark represented OFF in a lawsuit several years ago.We do not support their current efforts.)

As you know, some sheriffs are attempting to safeguard the names of license holders in their counties and began their efforts after O'Donnell and Clark made the request for the names. We will leave it you to connect the dots.

Once again, gun rights supporters should know that "Oregon Gun Owners" has no connection to OFF in any way. OFF fully supports the efforts of sheriffs to protect the private information of CHL holders in the current climate and warns Clackamas County residents that their information is public knowledge and available to anyone who asks, for any purpose. [/font]

edit: Forgot the link

Orygunner

imported post

Anyone on this forum in Clackamas County should call the Sheriff and give him an earfull.

Better yet, gather a group, go down to the Sheriff's office and let him know in person you don't appreciate him releasing your private information.

Clackamas County Sheriff:

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Craig Roberts[/font]
2223 S. Kaen Rd
Oregon City, OR 97045

Phone: (503) 655-8218
Fax: (503) 722-6158

...Orygunner...

Window_Seat

imported post

For the purposes of obtaining a CHL license, can one establish a "residence address" outside of their actual residence, eg. "FedEx Kinko's" or "The UPS Store"? Once the Sheriff or Chief or whoever reveals the "list" to whoever wants it, then you go out and change your "mailbox"? Or is it not that simple (I assume)? Otherwise, :cuss:to this Sheriff.

Erik.

CharlesAFerg

Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
imported post

Why don't people understand that this is very dangerous to CHL holders! First they require licenses, then they want to tell everybody who these responsible people are! I think if the word is spread throughout both communities, even the more the moderate anti-firearm folks would be against putting licensees in danger this way. Spread the word, even to your anti-firearms friends.

Unacceptable.

Mutoman

imported post

I received a letter from our sheriff in Coos County, stating that several groups have asked for the names and personal information of CHL holders registered within the county. To date Sheriff Andy Jackson has refused to comply with those requests. The letter offered a check box whether the permit holder wanted their information made public or not and asked that it be returned so the sheriffs department could compile a list of those who did not want their information made public. This option is now available on the permit application.

Thank God I live in a conservative county.

ccw9mm

imported post

Does anyone know whether Clackamas has released the info, yet, or whether any other county Sheriff has, yet?

I'm sure glad that Sheriff Rob Gordon (WA Cty) is standing tall, on this. Kudos to his honor and integrity to the People.

Window_Seat wrote:
For the purposes of obtaining a CHL license, can one establish a "residence address" outside of their actual residence, eg. "FedEx Kinko's" or "The UPS Store"? Once the Sheriff or Chief or whoever reveals the "list" to whoever wants it, then you go out and change your "mailbox"? Or is it not that simple (I assume)? Otherwise, :cuss:to this Sheriff.

Erik.
No. A residence is legally, specifically the place where you reside, where you live. P.O. boxes don't count, obviously. And, in Oregon, unless you're law enforcement or otherwise exempted from the requirement, the statutes require that both the Oregon DL and CHL must have your home/residence address on it. Have the POB address on it, additionally, if you choose, but it must have the address where you live.

California and some other states don't (or, at least didn't, years ago when I had CHL there) require the home/residence address to be on the DL or CHL. A POB was considered fine, given that "the system" knew your residential address anyway. A far more secure solution, I'd think, ensuring that only folks with access to the law enforcement system could easily get the home addr, thereby dramatically reducing the threat of losing your docs to crime (robbery, burglary, simply misplacing them).

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a friend in Clackamas county and they did release the information. I heard someone found a lawyer to deal with the situation.Now Clackamas is giving a CHL holder the 'option' now to keep their information private.