• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry a gun in Northern Virginia?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Man-Shot-Woman-Injured-in-Attempted-Robbery-in-Tysons-Corner.html

Aman was shot and a woman was injured in an attempted robbery early Wednesday morning on Chain Bridge Road in Tysons Corner, according to Fairfax County Police.

The man was shot and his passenger injured while trying to repair their broken-down car shortly after 3 a.m.

The driver of the vehicle, a 23-year-old man from Greenbelt, Md.,pulled over afterhaving car trouble andgot out to work on it. During that time, a second car pulled up. A man stepped out, approached the driver with a gun and demanded money, police said.

A secondperson got out of the car, approached the 43-year-old female passenger in the broken-downvehicle, and also demanded money.

While both the driver and his passenger struggled with their assailants, the male victim was shot once in the upper body andthe female was struck in the head with a hard object, according to police. Both victims were transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police did not say how much money was taken during the robbery.

The robber with the gun was described asblack, in his 40s, about 6 feet tall, weighing approximately 300 pounds. He had short hair in dreadlocks, a thick goatee and acne. He was wearing a gray, hooded sweater, gray pants and white sneakers.

The secondrobber was white, in his late 20s to early 30s, about 6 feet tall, and weighed approximately 150 pounds. He had short, dark hair and a thick goatee.

They fled in a silver or gray sedan, possibly a Ford, police said.

Anyone with informationshould callCrime Solvers866-411-TIPS orFairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.

Neplusultra

imported post

A poster on another blog made the observation that this couple may have been targeted because they had MD plates and were therefore highly unlikely to be armed!!! Much the same as armed robbers were targeting rental cars with foreign tourists down in FL a few years back. The problem ceased after the rental companies removed all their company logo bumper stickers which is how the robbers were IDing them as rentals.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
A poster on another blog made the observation that this couple may have been targeted because they had MD plates and were therefore highly unlikely to be armed!!! Much the same as armed robbers were targeting rental cars with foreign tourists down in FL a few years back. The problem ceased after the rental companies removed all their company logo bumper stickers which is how the robbers were IDing them as rentals.
Very, very interesting observation!! If criminals in NOVA are being that observant, I think people from the majority of NE states and IL may be in jeopardy through that area. Not very good for tourism.

hunter45

imported post

It's stories like these that make me want to OC more and more. My holster came today via FedEx, so I'll be able to start OCing this weekend, unless I wait until the VCDL meeting next week for my first experience.

By the way, ed, I got your OC info cards in the mail today. They look great, thanks for sending me some. I'm sure I'll be able to educate some people with them!

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
It's stories like these that make me want to OC more and more. My holster came today via FedEx, so I'll be able to start OCing this weekend, unless I wait until the VCDL meeting next week for my first experience.

By the way, ed, I got your OC info cards in the mail today. They look great, thanks for sending me some. I'm sure I'll be able to educate some people with them!
either way I'll be looking forward to meeting a fellow "young" OCer. :cool:

hunter45

imported post

nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

I'm looking forward to meeting some young OCers as well, since I don't know anyone who OCs at all. I told my uncle I was going to the meeting. Apparently he used to be a member a few years ago, so he says he might come with me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

I'm looking forward to meeting some young OCers as well, since I don't know anyone who OCs at all. I told my uncle I was going to the meeting. Apparently he used to be a member a few years ago, so he says he might come with me.
Whaddayou whippersnappers consider young? :)

hunter45

imported post

Citizen wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

Whaddayou whippersnappers consider young?  :)

I'm 18, so i guess we are talking about 18-20 years. I probably look like I'm closer to 16 though, so I'm sure I'll have my share of run-ins with Fairfax County's finest. I'm going out to buy a digital recorder tomorrow.

Neplusultra

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I'm 18, so i guess we are talking about 18-20 years. I probably look like I'm closer to 16 though, so I'm sure I'll have my share of run-ins with Fairfax County's finest. I'm going out to buy a digital recorder tomorrow.
Get a recorder that allows you to download the recordings to your computer. That makes it really easy to archive and to post to the internet!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Get a recorder that allows you to download the recordings to your computer. That makes it really easy to archive and to post to the internet!

Yeah, you canpractice by interviewing us "old men" on how it was to OC back in the day. I think I still have my original OC piece somewhere for the interview. I had to put it away when I couldn't get flints for it anymore.

:)

richarcm

imported post

Its odd that there are all these stories coming from Tysons Corner lately. I would have thought that to be one of the last places to have any gun related problems....or problems in general.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

Yeah, you canpractice by interviewing us "old men" on how it was to OC back in the day. I think I still have my original OC piece somewhere for the interview. I had to put it away when I couldn't get flints for it anymore.

:)
You're younger than I thought. When I first started reading that I was thinking, "Heck, you can still buy match cord." :p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
You're younger than I thought. When I first started reading that I was thinking, "Heck, you can still buy match cord." :p

ROFL!!!

OK. You got me on that one. That was definitely good.

richarcm

imported post

ed wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Its odd that there are all these stories coming from Tysons Corner lately. I would have thought that to be one of the last places to have any gun related problems
yeah.. you AND Senator Saslaw..
I live in the ghetto of Springfield. I expect to see stupid crap happen here. I guess as the song goes, where there is money there will be problems. Something like that, right?

IanB

imported post

Crime does not discriminate based upon location. Crime is simply an "opportunity" that the criminal took advantage of. The place the crime occurs is happenstance.

foxcall

imported post

richarcm wrote:
ed wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Its odd that there are all these stories coming from Tysons Corner lately. I would have thought that to be one of the last places to have any gun related problems
yeah.. you AND Senator Saslaw..
I live in the ghetto of Springfield. I expect to see stupid crap happen here. I guess as the song goes, where there is money there will be problems. Something like that, right?
More money, more problems! well technically it's mo' money mo' problems

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hunter45 wrote:

WOW:what:

I have ammo that is older than that. :lol: In fact I have almost beenmarried long enough for you to have been my kid twice.:banghead:

When you guys were talking about meeting some younger folks, I thought you were talking about people like, NSL or Tomahawk.

Well before you start poking at us "old guys", just remember -

"Age and treachery will overcome youth and ability every time."

Anon

Anyway, welcome. It is good to see young people taking an interest. First time you go out you might want to consider taking an old codger along just for appearances sake. You can tell the Officer you are just hi gun bearer. (get it ... right to bear)

Regards