Thread: Open Carry in non-resident state

Post imported post

I live in Texas where open carry is not allowed. I do have a Texas CHL. If I was visiting a state that allows licensed open carry, such as Tennessee, am I allowed to open carry?

To my understanding, Tennessee issues one permit that allows concealed and open carry. I know that Tennessee has CHL reciprocity with Texas, so would my CHL license me to open carry in Tennessee?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

fightinaggie09 wrote:
    I live in Texas where open carry is not allowed. I do have a Texas CHL. If I was visiting a state that allows licensed open carry, such as Tennessee, am I allowed to open carry?

To my understanding, Tennessee issues one permit that allows concealed and open carry. I know that Tennessee has CHL reciprocity with Texas, so would my CHL license me to open carry in Tennessee?
    IANAL, but if Tn has reciprocity with Texas, I think your good to go OC in TN with a Tx CHL. Kind of sucks though, that we can't go to Tx and OC with our HCP.

edited for correction

Post imported post

It is my understanding that such is the case. I certainly hope so because in the last few months I have OC'd in 3 licensed OC states that have CCW reciprocity with my state based on that understanding. Actually, I did have definitive answers that it is the case in IN and GA and my perusal of TN statute and OCDO caused me to believe that it is the same case n TN as well.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

fightinaggie09 wrote:

Every state is different.

In Michigan, the only out-of-state people allowed to carry (openly or otherwise), are those that are licensed to carry by their home state (meaning you'll need your concealed carry card). Residents of Michigan need no license to openly carry, they just need a legally acquired (and inspected, until next month) gun.

-Zzz

Post imported post

texas and Tennessee do have a formal reciprocity agreement. http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

Be aware that in tennessee a police officer may stop you if you are carrying to check the validity of the permit with no other PC / RAS needed. Whenever I carry in reciprocity states, I carry a copy of the reciprocity agreement with me because I don't assume that all cops will know all the reciprocity states off the top of their head, and it makes any stops go quicker. I can't find the texas / tennessee agreement right now, just the announcements.

Have a good visit!

Pol

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    fightinaggie09 wrote:

IANAL, but if Tn has reciprocity with Texas, I think your good to go OC in TN with a Tx CHL. Kind of sucks though, that we can go to Tx and OC with our HCP.
    Are you saying that if you have a TN HCP you can OC in TX? Can someone confirm that a TN permit allows you to OC in TX. Since SC and TN have reciprocity then would a TN permit allow you to OC in SC?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    fightinaggie09 wrote:

IANAL, but if Tn has reciprocity with Texas, I think your good to go OC in TN with a Tx CHL. Kind of sucks though, that we can go to Tx and OC with our HCP.
    Are you saying that if you have a TN HCP you can OC in TX?* Can someone confirm that a TN permit allows you to OC in TX.* Since SC and TN have reciprocity then would a TN permit allow you to OC in SC?
    A Texas permit *could* allow for OC in Tennessee, but I don't believe that's the same for the other way around. A TN permit most likely will *not* allow for OC in TX, since OC in general in TX is not allowed.

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    fightinaggie09 wrote:

Are you saying that if you have a TN HCP you can OC in TX? Can someone confirm that a TN permit allows you to OC in TX. Since SC and TN have reciprocity then would a TN permit allow you to OC in SC?
    I think he was intending to say can't. A texas (or SC) chl holder can OC in TN, but not the other way around.

Regards,

Pol

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

PT111 wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    fightinaggie09 wrote:

OOPS! I made a typo and have corrcted it. No we cannot OC in Tx with our Tn HCP.

Post imported post

Thanks for all the info guys.