• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

English Teacher with not so informed opinions

mrrga25

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I believe that this is one of those articles that could use the attention of the good people of opencarry.org

http://www.insidebayarea.com/opinion/ci_11177579

..........................................snip......................

The second bad idea can be found at OpenCarry.org, the Web site for a group that advocates doing away with laws that require citizens who carry handguns to conceal them. Some of the proponents of "open carry" contend that a shoulder holster gets hot under a coat in a place like Texas. The comfortable place to carry is on the hip.

But I suspect that the proponents of open carry are more concerned about power than perspiration. Nothing says "Don't mess with me" like a firearm in plain view. :banghead:

Put these two initiatives together — and both of them have made progress in Texas and in other states — and you've got "open carry on campus," a very bad idea for college classrooms.

.........................................end snip.............................................................

Just for those that are going to ask.....:?

John M. Crisp (jcrisp@delmar.edu) teaches in the English Department at Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, Texas.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

from the article:

But I suspect that the proponents of open carry are more concerned about power than perspiration. Nothing says "Don't mess with me" like a firearm in plain view.
So what if we are into empowerment? Isn't that better than cowering to the BG's? I'd like to know what he has against putting the BG's on notice

I'm not sure if this guy is anti-OC/anti-guns on campus or not. He didn't express one reason why OC or guns on campus is a bad idea, other than he thinks it's a "bad idea". It appeared to me that most of his references were more in line with reasons why OC and guns on campus are "GOOD" ideas.

You would think that a college proffessor would know how to present a case against something he doesn't agree with.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Mr Crisp must not walk Del Mar campus alone at night. If he prefers pacifism, that's his business and his business only.

Google John M Crisp and you'll find articles he's previously written. They'll give you some perspective on his positions. From there, form your email to Mr Crisp.

Crisp:
Put these two initiatives together — and both of them have made progress in Texas and in other states — and you've got "open carry on campus," a very bad idea for college classrooms.

Colleges are places where students try to negotiate equilibrium between preconceived notions and new ideas, and sometimes tension and stress are byproducts. Colleges are also places where professors have to make life-altering judgments about students' performance.

The introduction of openly displayed ballistic force into this dynamic will change it in undesirable and dangerous ways.

Once campuses become armed camps, turning back will be very difficult.

As a college graduate, I must say, while in school we had spirited debates over intriguing topics. However, I harbored no ill-intentions or ill-feelings towards the opposition because we disagreed on a particular point. Mr Crisp suggests that any conflict or contention would lead to a violent, aggressive confrontation. And more specifically, the location of a disagreement changes from off-campus behavior. Why would the location change the behavior of CCer/OCer? Well, it doesn't. Mr Crisp seems to buy into the 'wild wild west' theory of society, or in this case, school grounds, due to the presence of a firearm. Our every day lives are not perfect. Our every day lives are not without some aggrevations. Yet CCer/OCers do not act out with their fireams in a fit of rage or childish tantrum.

Also needing a note, to carry a firearm in TX a person must be 21 years old.

Also crime statistics at Del Mar: http://www.delmar.edu/studentlife/disclosure.php

Drug Free/Weapon Free

The College has designated itself as a drug free/weapon free institution. Students are reminded that the Texas concealed handgun law prohibits possession of such weapons in any educational institution. College policy prohibits the use, sale, distribution, or possession of alcoholic beverages, drugs, or controlled substances while on College property or at any authorized activity sponsored by or for any College-related organization, whether on or off the campus. The Standards of Student Conduct are found both in the Catalog and in the Student Handbook and Calendar. Violators may be expelled from classes and violations reported to the Corpus Christi Police Department. The College has designated all its buildings as smoke free. The College's smoking policy applies to all employees, students, and the general public. Del Mar College has policies prohibiting weapons on College property. Violators may be expelled from classes and violations reported to the Corpus Christi Police Department (per Board Policy B7.13.4.13 and B7.13.5.5).
[align=center]
[/align][align=left]While there is a school policy against drugs, there is still drug crimes on campus. Policy is not deterring that crime.
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]
Common Crimes on Campus

The most common crimes on campus involve the theft of books or personal items which are unattended or unsecured. Portable items, especially those that are easily sold, are popular targets. Please make every effort to protect your belongings. Be especially careful of securing your automobile.

Del Mar College is an open, public campus and does not seek to limit public access. As such, the College is not immune to crimes that occur throughout Corpus Christi. The College will provide regular safety seminars for students and employees. These will be announced ahead of time in campus publications.
[/align]
Exactly. School properties are not immune to the dangers faced everywhere else. Thus citizens and students alike should take any and all precautions they feel appropriate.

sheepdog

imported post

Our campuses are already armed camps...the question is: Who's got the arms? If a Va Tech copycat cut loose at his college...his grasp of the English language wouldn't help him or his students....the colleges' "We don't HAVE that HERE" attitudes and burying problems such as drugs, date rape, etc. to protect the image of the institution have hurt a lot of students....the errors and misinformation in his writing this article are typical of a sheeple...hope he's standing in front of his students, correcting the perps' grammar...if they ever go there..

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mrrga25 quoted:
Nothing says "Don't mess with me" like a firearm in plain view.
Kinda makes you wonder. It seems to me that only a criminal viewpoint would object to the message, "Don't mess with me." I wonder what dark little secrets and desires find refuge in the depths of his heart.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
mrrga25 quoted:
Kinda makes you wonder. It seems to me that only a criminal viewpoint would object to the message, "Don't mess with me." I wonder what dark little secrets and desires find refuge in the depths of his heart.

That crossed my mind as well. Projecting ones own fears or tendencies onto others.

This it is: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like a good idea in the face of Seung-Hui Cho, if you ask me.

I wonder why this is syndicated where it is. Seeing as OC is already more legal in California than in Texas, maybe he should just keep trying to convince Texans about the horrors of OC (and good luck with that). :p

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What I got out of this article is that he is a professor, and he fears giving a bad grade to someone who is OC or CC because of the stress they are underbeing in college. Why else rant about the pressure of college life. It's not about protection of the sutdent or of thier rights but more aboutHIS skin. The ME generation. What he fails to realize is that if someone is whacked enough to pull a gun over a bad grade or a debate that goes bad, then that person is not going to care about the law and will have a gun anyway or stab him in the eye with a #2 pencil. But one of the level headed students in the class (which 99.99% are) carrying OC or CC could save his liberal butt.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

GumiBear wrote:
What I got out of this article is that he is a professor, and he fears giving a bad grade to someone who is OC or CC because of the stress they are underbeing in college. Why else rant about the pressure of college life. It's not about protection of the sutdent or of thier rights but more aboutHIS skin. The ME generation. What he fails to realize is that if someone is whacked enough to pull a gun over a bad grade or a debate that goes bad, then that person is not going to care about the law and will have a gun anyway or stab him in the eye with a #2 pencil. But one of the level headed students in the class (which 99.99% are) carrying OC or CC could save his liberal butt.
It's sad that these people just don't use logic.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ianmtx wrote:
GumiBear wrote:
It's sad that these people just don't use logic.
Oh, you didn't know? Allot of universities are "Logic Free Zones" as well.

no carry permit ?

imported post

I can't believe he mentioned the Texas Tower Massacre in his "scholarly work."

What an idiot.

What regulation would have possiblly stopped that. Criminal Killers, terrorists and sickos like the Manson family ignore signs, gun free zones and the law.

mrrga25

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In his article he talks about the money that is paid by the students to go to the university. Should this not give them more rights seeing that their money is funding the schools?

I think this dear old teacher needs to focus more on grading schoolwork and molding the minds of the youth to stay ahead of bidding countries and allow everyone else to fight for his constitutional rights.

When will people realize that the more that is given, the less there is to take? Haven't Americans given enough to the governments without having to give all of our civil rights up? I think that our government feels like they are the only ones that know what is best for our nation.

Sorry about going off but this bailout crap has me a little tense.:cuss: