• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas KWES NewsWest9.com Video Report on Open Carry Movement!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.newswest9.com/Global/story.asp?S=9508967&nav=menu505_2

Online Petition Calls For Open Carry Gun Laws In Texas

"Online Petition Calls For Open Carry Gun Laws In Texas (12-11-08)

9508967_BG1.jpg

pxl_trans.gif

9508967_BG2.jpg

pxl_trans.gif

By Wyatt Goolsby
NewsWest 9

ODESSA - Should Texans be able to openly wear guns on their hips?It's a question some are taking straight to the Governor's Office.A new online petition is calling for an Open Carry Law for handguns across the Lone Star State.

Currently in Texas, if you have a license, citizens are allowed by law to possess a concealed handgun.Now, more than 47,000 peoplehave signed an online petitionat opencarry.org,calling for gun owners with a concealed hangun licence toopenly walk around displaying their weapons. On Thursday, we found there are pluses and minuses to openly packing heat.

"Intimidation. There are some people that are intimidated just by seeing a firearm," Kimberly Stafford, the owner of Tejas Shooting Sports in Odessa, explained.

Staffordcalled herself a "Gun Nut" and said education is key, especially if you've never used a gun before.

"I know what it was like to step into the industry, and to be a gun nut, and coming from a position of not knowing anything, coming from a position of being a non-shooter," Stafford said.

Stafford offers classes as part of getting a Concealed Hangun License.Shetold NewsWest 9there's a big difference between openly carrying a gun and keeping one hidden.

"From a tactical perspective, who does the bad guy go for first? The person who is carrying openly?" Stafford explained.

But what about the possibility of an Open Carry Law in Texas?

"It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, as long as you're not a convicted felon,I couldn't care less," Stafford said."If you want to carry a firearm whether concealed or open,I wouldn't have a problem with having legislation for both like States like Arizona."

For Stafford, it's all about education, and Sergeant Gary Duesler, with the Ector County Sheriff's Departmentagrees.He said, personally, he pushes responsibility.

"They're not trained in these gun concealment classes how to handle an Armed Robbery. What do you do? That's why we go to school continually to learn other things. They are not cops. They are people carrying weapons, and there is a boundary, there is a difference between them," Sgt. Duesler explained.

Duesler said he's not necessarily against an Open Carry Law, but said he hopes gun owners won't take their rights for granted.

"Because there are some people that they should be able to do that if they care themselves responsibly, and it all boils down to that person," Duesler said. "Every time. That's what it all is going to boil down to."

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

nking wrote:
pretty good
Yup - I think Texas gun owners, dealers, and law enforcement "get's it" - there are pluses and minues to each type of carry - open or concealed - gun owners should be free to choose - and of course, should be responsible regardless

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

one thing still concerns me though Mike, and thats it doesnt matter if we hit 100,000 signatures, if we cant get someone to sponcer this bill then we are toast, again i sent out a letter to my local rep yesterday but i havent recieved a responce yet.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

nking wrote:
one thing still concerns me though Mike, and thats it doesnt matter if we hit 100,000 signatures, if we cant get someone to sponcer this bill then we are toast, again i sent out a letter to my local rep yesterday but i havent recieved a responce yet.

Did you contact your state rep AND Senator?

If they do not respond, call them and ask what is up - where's the bill?

SANDCREEK

imported post

I e-mailed Texas Senator Chris Harris yesterday with a rather comprehensive presentation of the argument FOR decriminalizing open carry. Other members have contacted him apparently with no results.

If we can get ONE legislator to file the proposed bill - then hearings can be scheduled and we have a chance to present the arguments for passage. I'm concerned that the "anxiety" factor is not being overcome thus far. Even rural communities in the Hill Country and West Texas- where you might expect strong support- have visions ofcriminals passing through town OC'ing as they walk into the bank or convenience store to committ armed robbery. Why isn't this happening in OC states like Colorado- because criminals aren't THAT stupid. OC attracts ATTENTION.

We may have to settle for a CHL modification to cover OC - which would be a step forward at least . I don't like it but stubborn inertia is hard to knock loose. With time so short - as I said- We may have to go with the CHL modification - IF THAT can be accomplished. WHY aren't we getting across to these legislators ?

ONE - only ONE legislator is needed - Surely SOMEBODY can make this happen.

Tex

imported post

Evil is readily accomplished when good men do nothing. All we need is one GOOD man to sponsor this legislation. I'm sure your name would be for ever remembered by all freedom loving people. OR we could just sit around with our thumbs....:banghead:

HungSquirrel

imported post

The reporter correctly states "there are plusses and minuses" to carrying openly. Then the rest of the report merely focuses on the minuses, without mentioning any of the plusses.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Duesler said he's not necessarily against an Open Carry Law, but said he hopes gun owners won't take their rights for granted.

Isn't that what this is all about? Rights. Freedom.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone of apro-gun mindset would take their rights for granted. Especially in light of the ongoing struggle to completely recover our 2a rights and respect from government, LE and thegeneral populacefor those rights.

Sorry for being a negative Nancy. The article was balanced. The quote just struck me as odd.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And there is that dangerous retort again.... Why shouldn't you take your rights for granted; they are!