Thread: Sighting in a laser spot

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Hey all, I've got a question.

I recently got a Viridian green laser spot for my Glock 17. I know a lot of people sight in the spot to 7 or 10 yards, but i was wondering:

Wouldn't it make more sense to sight it in as far away as you can? If I sighted the spot in at maybe 25 yards, then, when it's closer, the furthest off it could be is the distance between the muzzle and the laser on the rail, or about 1.5" from center.

Or am I missing something important?

Thanks for listening, I look forward to hearing your opinions on the matter.

-Zzz

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Hey all, I've got a question.

I recently got a Viridian green laser spot for my Glock 17. I know a lot of people sight in the spot to 7 or 10 yards, but i was wondering:

Wouldn't it make more sense to sight it in as far away as you can? If I sighted the spot in at maybe 25 yards, then, when it's closer, the furthest off it could be is the distance between the muzzle and the laser on the rail, or about 1.5" from center.

Or am I missing something important?

Thanks for listening, I look forward to hearing your opinions on the matter.

-Zzz
    Yep, you're missing something important. A bullet does not travel in a straight line but in a complicated parabola that deviates more from line of sight with distance.

I would be aware of the hypothetical prosecutor accusing that the gun was not intended for defensive purposes with this eXtra Gear and optimizing it for offensive ranges beyond defensive uses.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Yep, you're missing something important.* A bullet does not travel in a straight line but in a complicated parabola that deviates more from line of sight with distance.

I would be aware of the hypothetical prosecutor accusing that the gun was not intended for defensive purposes with this eXtra Gear and optimizing it for offensive ranges beyond defensive uses.
    Well, I got the laser mostly for fun, and most likely wouldn't carry it on the gun when carrying for personal protection. (in addition to guns, I'm a closet flashlight/laser nerd...)

I plan on using the laser at the range, and would have it on my gun while in my own home. I would imagine during close quarters interactions, with someone breaking into my home, it could make things much easier with regard to aiming at an intruder.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    SNIP optimizing it for offensive ranges beyond defensive uses.

Hah!

Just call it DMZ: Defensive Mumbai Zero.

In fact, I think I may go out this weekend and shift my own laser to DMZ.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Yep, you're missing something important. A bullet does not travel in a straight line but in a complicated parabola that deviates more from line of sight with distance.

Doug ,I always enjoy your insight.

I would argue that a laser is just for defensive purposes.Zig, I think maybe your looking into it to much. I believe a laser is just for fast target acquisition. I have had two. The first one I adjusted the windage and elevation on it, but I asked myself "what was the point"?

The second laser I got illuminates the target just fine right out the box, and I hit the vitals of a paper target at 7 yards by just pointing and and firing.

Zig, you're talking about using a laser at 25 yards. A lot of folks don't realize it, but 25 yards is a long way for a pistol. I know it can be done, but it's freaking hard to bea good shot that far away with your average pistol.Most folks that start out will be amazed at how much your hand shakes at a 25 yard target. The laser will show you how unsteady your hand is at 25 yards.

I like lasers, they are a good tool, but I wouldn't relyon thim soley for aiming and accuracy.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

Very simple image to illustrate Doug's point:

Post imported post

You can buy a lazer bore sight, the type you place in the front of your barrel, and quicly adjust your lazer sight to match it.

But as the illustration above shows, there is a specific range at which your lazer sight, your hard-sights and your ballistic trajectory should all converge most closely. Wouldn't this be the ideal distance to zero your weapon's lazer sight at?

Am I off target??