• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PA soccer mom Meleanie Hain shines again - keep hitting this gun carry poll!

IanB

imported post

Ya know, the Brady clan have always claimed something to the effect of "We don't have issues withlawful gun owners, even the open carry types. Our mission is to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those ineligible to posses firearms".

But...
Last week, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence offered to defend DeLeo and the county for free.

"This is a case that calls out for common sense and sanity," said Daniel Vice, the center's senior attorney. "It's an incredible risk to bring a loaded semi-automatic weapon to a children's soccer game."
So, what have we here? How does this free legalassistance offerfor DeLeo further the Brady goals of keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals? How does defending the criminal revocation of Mrs. Haine's permit further ANY of Brady's stated goals? It doesn't. This is just another example of the gun control crowd saying one thing and meaning another.

squisher

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Ya know, the Brady clan have always claimed something to the effect of "We don't have issues withlawful gun owners, even the open carry types. Our mission is to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those ineligible to posses firearms".

But...
Last week, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence offered to defend DeLeo and the county for free.

"This is a case that calls out for common sense and sanity," said Daniel Vice, the center's senior attorney. "It's an incredible risk to bring a loaded semi-automatic weapon to a children's soccer game."
So, what have we here? How does this free legalassistance offerfor DeLeo further the Brady goals of keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals? How does defending the criminal revocation of Mrs. Haine's permit further ANY of Brady's stated goals? It doesn't. This is just another example of the gun control crowd saying one thing and meaning another.
That is an incredibly good point. I thought it to be in particular bad taste that the brady clan would get involved like that.

"FOR THE CHILDREN, CAN'T YOU SEE GUNS ARE EVIL!" or some such junk is the general vibe from the negative comments that I could see.

You are responsible for protecting your children as well as yourself, and yet you shouldn't carry your weapon with children around? That makes a whole lot of sense :banghead:

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

How does this free legalassistance offerfor DeLeo further the Brady goals of keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals? How does defending the criminal revocation of Mrs. Haine's permit further ANY of Brady's stated goals? It doesn't. This is just another example of the gun control crowd saying one thing and meaning another.
The beauty is the Brady bunch showing their true intent. Anyone who may have believed their rhetoric can now examine their actions. This could serve to undermine support for them. Sounds like someone else we know.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

question, say the brady campaign DOES represent the sheriff and county.....and they LOSE. Will the brady campaign then pay Melanie her million dollars and her court costs?

strangewayfarer

imported post

TFred wrote:
Article posted on the Philadelphia Inquirer web site:

Gun-toting woman divides community

Even Judge Robert J. Eby, who restored her permit on Oct. 14, said he thought she lacked good judgment and common sense.

"You scared the devil out of some other people," Eby said.

He chided her for causing anxiety and apprehension in other people and said he didn't think anyone needed gun protection at a 5-year-old's soccer game. Concealing it "would be the right thing to do," he said.

Just like who would need to have one at an Amish elementry school?

Daddyo

imported post

I was just thinking about this whole CC/element of surprise thing last night, and it occurs to me that CC borders on entrapment. You're carrying a weapon because you think there is a possibility of violence on your person (not an unreasonable assumption, stuff happens all the time, everywhere). In response to the possibility of attack, you conceal a weapon potentially inviting an attack because the perp doesn't know you are armed.

I know its kind of roundabout (it was 1am this morning, couldn't sleep) but CC could be perceived as trying to trick a bad guy into attacking so you can shoot him. That's the only way "element of surprise" would apply.

BTW... +100 Melanie. If I were in Pennsylvania, you could sit for my kid.

TFred

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
I was just thinking about this whole CC/element of surprise thing last night, and it occurs to me that CC borders on entrapment. You're carrying a weapon because you think there is a possibility of violence on your person (not an unreasonable assumption, stuff happens all the time, everywhere). In response to the possibility of attack, you conceal a weapon potentially inviting an attack because the perp doesn't know you are armed.

I know its kind of roundabout (it was 1am this morning, couldn't sleep) but CC could be perceived as trying to trick a bad guy into attacking so you can shoot him. That's the only way "element of surprise" would apply.

Ha, I wouldn't be surprised if some would-be robber's lawyer tries to use that in a lawsuit against the victim who shot back!

TFred

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

strangewayfarer wrote:
TFred wrote:
He chided her for causing anxiety and apprehension in other people and said he didn't think anyone needed gun protection at a 5-year-old's soccer game. Concealing it "would be the right thing to do," he said.

Let's see if I follow the judge's logic here: He didn't think anyone "needed" protection at a soccer game, so he said she should conceal the gun. WHAT ??!! If he's so convinced school games are totally safe, he should be telling her to leave it at home, not conceal it. Clearly, this is all about not "upsetting" people, not about safety or lack thereof. It is Mrs. Hain's call to determine whether she feels safe enough, not his. She is within her rights, and as long as she isn't brandishing or threatening, he has no business chiding her with his personal, and not very logical opinion.

Dutch

Aran

Banned
imported post

Daddyo wrote:

I do not think that word means what you think it does.

rscottie

imported post

Aran wrote:
I wonder how far she'll manage to stretch that 15 minutes...

First of all, she did not ask for this, she did not ask to have her permit revoked and she damn sure did not ask for you to insinuate that she is getting fame from this. If anything, she is getting 15 minutes of hell.

She has lostincome due to parents not wanting their children in the same house with a, gasp, GUN :shock:. She has be skewered by every major media outlet. She has been ridiculed by the gun haters crowd. And for what? For legal OC of her firearm.

What she does not need is someone on here, a place where she is amongst peers and friends, make a statement like this one. :banghead:

Tomahawk

imported post

"Semiautomatic weapons are made so that even young children can fire them," he said.
So are flintlocks, if they are loaded and cocked. For that matter, so is an M-198 howitzer, if it is loaded and cocked.

Aran, why do you not support this woman's right to carry?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd really like for Aran to make that clear for all of us. I asked him this same question in a PM, and while I won't share the response, suffice it to say it was "unsatisfactory". I find it disconcerting that he shows so little respect for her rights without so much as even a good reason.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Aran wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
"Semiautomatic weapons are made so that even young children can fire them," he said.
Tomahawk, why do you think I don't support her right to carry?
the better question would be why don't you support her right to carry open? in an open carry state even?

Aran

Banned
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
Aran wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Tomahawk, why do you think I don't support her right to carry?
the better question would be why don't you support her right to carry open? in an open carry state even?
Okay, and what makes YOU think I don't support her right to carry open?