• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Taste of Gunpowder

Alexcabbie

imported post

I have noticed that, after a session at the range; when I stop for a meal the smell of burnt powder in my nose ruins the flavor of whatever I am eating. I like Southeast Asian cuisine and for a time I thought some of my fave places were spicing especially pungently but then I got a McBurger and noticed the same effect. After the NRA range or an outdor range it isn't much of a prob, but the smaller indoor ranges really concentrate the gunsmoke (and if they ran the ventilation much stronger the targets would flutter like moths). Any suggestions for a pre-meal hoplo-sorbet? And yes I know a hot shower would probably do the job, but I am often pressed for time and need to grab a meal on the way back)

Orygunner

imported post

How about a Neti Pot?

neti-pot.jpg

http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/neti-pot.htm

This actually sprung up into my mind because I'm a bit of a smart-ass, but when you think about it, it just may be a solution for ya...

...I just wouldn't do it at your table at the restaurant...
...Orygunner...

OBXMIKE

imported post

Just swab yer lips with a little hoppes #9.........powder smell gone!! (LOL!)

I know what you're talking about.....I keep a beard, and it sticks on me like glue 'till I get a shower. No way around it, unless you shoot with a mask....

SlackwareRobert

imported post

To many reruns of Sgt. York will have that effect, you don't lick the barrel
after every shot. Use a water bottle to wet the sites insted. :shock:

Don't telll me you thought those foam plugs were for your ears.
I thought everyone knew they go in your NOSE!

Indoor or outdoor fireing? Guess i'm lucky that my 2 favorite places to eat
are in the middle of Mass. so I don't have to worry about it, since it take
hours just to drive there, plenty of time to wear off the gunpowder.
I guess you could learn to like salt peter, then it realy will taste like gunpowder.

Decoligny

imported post

Just flush out your nostrils with saline spray. About 95% of perceived taste is actually smell. Three or four squeezes of saline spray and then blow out the residue.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tumble your nose with your spent brass immediately after the range session? :)

Stand farther back from the gun? :)

Bandana pulled up over your nose, for the Wild West effect? :)

Sounds like your trigger control is good. Just work on that breathe control. :)

Oh, heh! Dust mask/pollen mask?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Just flush out your nostrils with saline spray. About 95% of perceived taste is actually smell. Three or four squeezes of saline spray and then blow out the residue.
+1

I was thinking more like a cigarette filter in each nostril, but I suppose a saline flush might actually work better.

Regards

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Despite some very wonderful and quite funny answers (especially like the Hoppes idea), this one actually sounds like a very good idea. I think I'm going to put some saline spray into my range kit.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
but I suppose a saline flush might actually work better.

No, no, no, no.

Haven't you ever heard "Jacks or better to open"?

:):p
You know, I am always looking for the joke value in anything I see, but for the life of me I don't know how you catch all this stuff. You point it out and I see it right off, but I sure did't see it when I wrote it. I am amazed you didn't point out the "double tap" required to insert the filters.:what:

Resume your normal activities.