• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll on OC around kids

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some crazy comments on that story.

People freaking out about "what if a kid tries to get her attention, grabs her leg, and gets shot?!"

Uhh, she's wearing a Serpa holster... trigger isn't exposed, so it can't be pulled. It's a Glock!

Orygunner

imported post

READER POLL

Should people be allowed to carry guns around children?

Yes 1225 (57.8%)

No 896 (42.2%)

Total votes = 2121

This is AWESOME!

There's some people that may be thinking that this is going to be detrimental to Open Carry. I disagree.

I think the public personal remarks of that Judge & Sheriff in Melanie's case did more to harm OC than Melanie has. She's standing up for what's right, and just may make a big positive difference for 2A rights and the OC movement.

The more public this is, and the more positive, TRUTHFUL FACTS that are made public about OC, the more public perception will change. Sure, the anti-gunners are going to scream louder and louder, and the more we can refute their so-called "common sense" arguments with the truth, the more foolish they will appear.

When it goes to court, if Melanie loses, would it really make it any worse for us? but if she WINS, it's going to be a major blow to these would-be tyrants and the anti-OC fools.

...Go Melanie!...
...Orygunner...

demnogis

imported post

Looks like the poll is gaining ground...

I read a few of the comments. I am amazed at how sheepish people are. Ignorant, demanding "common sense control of this zealot!"

So sad.

Should people be allowed to carry guns around children? Yes 1705 (61.0%) No 1088 (39.0%)

Dustin

imported post

Wow the comment section is heated;
John Dallas Bowers, you are as big an idiot as this woman. Her own narrative admits that she has no reason other than her general level of psychological damage (she was in a car accident! she learned that she is mortal and she can't take it!) for obsessing about "self protection." Your view of "self-defense" -- i.e., it's OK to risk the safety of everybody who doesn't care to run around like a demented cowboy -- renders your discourse about rights irrelevant and devious. You NRA nuts maunder on about defending yourselves from largely imaginary dangers when in fact you're aggressive cavepeople itching for an excuse to shoot somebody.
:what:

MetalChris

imported post

Philly Guy wrote:
I am a strong supporter of the second ammendment, but this crazed woman should not be allowed to be walking around with a gun. It is zealots like her that give law abiding gun owners a bad name. Legitimate gun owners have always supported common sense laws (e.g., if you use a gun in committing a crime you actually do go to jail)and there should be common sense here. Guns should not be worn to children's soccer games nor be brandished in supermarkets. Take her permit and get her evaluated!!

Come on guys, get in there and shoot that crap down! I would but can't be bothered to register. :)

MetalChris

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Wow the comment section is heated;
John Dallas Bowers, you are as big an idiot as this woman. Her own narrative admits that she has no reason other than her general level of psychological damage (she was in a car accident! she learned that she is mortal and she can't take it!) for obsessing about "self protection." Your view of "self-defense" -- i.e., it's OK to risk the safety of everybody who doesn't care to run around like a demented cowboy -- renders your discourse about rights irrelevant and devious. You NRA nuts maunder on about defending yourselves from largely imaginary dangers when in fact you're aggressive cavepeople itching for an excuse to shoot somebody.
:what:
And yet they like to call us "hate-mongers" and "fear-mongers." :banghead:

AZkopper

imported post

Should people be allowed to carry guns around children?

Yes

4911 (71.5%)

No

1958 (28.5%)
I hit it already. This 70-ish/30ish breakdown is just slightly lower than the usual 80/20 breakdown for most 2A polls. I guess the liberal "but what about the children????????????" slant on the poll question is to blame.

MetalChris

imported post

yale wrote:
Of course we should be allowed to carry firearms around children. How else are we supposed to defend them against the creeps running around these days?
Why the answer to that is simple! You're not supposed to take the law into your own hands! That's the job of our fine law enforcement ociffers! :uhoh:

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Most of the anti-OC comments would be solved if there was more OC (e.g., "looks like Wild West" & "what if someone grabs her leg and the gun sneezes, jumps out her holster, sings a little song and then goes off, bouncing off the grassy knoll...").

If there was more OC, people wouldn't think it was so outlandish and maybe would get that guns don't just go off (I'm afraid that problem might only be solved by taking them to the range though).

Orygunner

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
Most of the anti-OC comments would be solved if there was more OC (e.g., "looks like Wild West" & "what if someone grabs her leg and the gun sneezes, jumps out her holster, sings a little song and then goes off, bouncing off the grassy knoll...").

If there was more OC, people wouldn't think it was so outlandish and maybe would get that guns don't just go off (I'm afraid that problem might only be solved by taking them to the range though).

I agree completely. The reason OC is looked at as odd is because not enough people do it! The more people OC, the more people see it, and they will realize that we are the safest, nicest people out there :D .

I think the campaign to allow OC in Texas is going to do a BIGGER service to the OC movement than us that are in states that already allow it, because it's thrusting it into the foreground. Once it passes, I suspect there's going to be a LOT of people OCing there.

On the OP article, all the anti-gun and anti-OC commenters have dwindled down to nothing. I think we politely hammered them into submission with the truth! :celebrate

...Orygunner...

MI-copperhead

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, US
imported post

DeLeo, who calls himself a staunch NRA member, said he has nothing against guns but felt it was his duty to take action "because of the safety and security issues involving [children] on the field."
If I hear "it's for the childern " one more time I'm gonna puke! What a Richard Crainium.
Last week, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence offered to defend DeLeo and the county for free.
you just knew these a-holes were going to show up.

I really hope she takes these arrogent jacka$$es to the cleaners.

You go Meleanie!!

72.9% in favor now!