• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

holster otions

glenn36

imported post

I am new to this forum. So first off hey to all! I have already found a ton of info on here.

I just bought a new pistol Ruger SR9. I have not been able to find a holster

like a blackhawk or serpa. Anyone know where i can get something comapreable?

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

This is a good thread for SR9 holster options:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=335612

You can also find a list directly from the manufacturer here:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/Pop-HolsterLinksSR9.html

It is easy to find a holster for your pistol that has strap retention (i.e. Galco FLETCH), however I'm not sure how easy it will be to find one that mimics the Serpa. If you don't want leather, you can still get strap retention in a nylon holster (listed in the above).

I've run into the same issue with my Kahr. I have a Serpa for my 1911, but I think I'll have to settle for strap retention for my P9.

Good luck!

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Glenn,

I have the Fobus Roto-paddle for my Ruger p94. I love it! It is considerably more comfortable than a shoulder rig or belt holster, as it doesn't transfer all of the weight to your belt or your neck. Don't worry about the retention. I had my brother put it on to learn how to draw from it, and then put it back on and had him try to take it. He couldn't, even after knowing how to draw from it.

Myfobus paddle holsterhave a detent in the trigger well that provides retention. Because of the shape, it must be drawn in a straight line from the holster with a 'snappy' kind of motion. It took me about 15-20 draws to get comfortable, and about 50 more to get proficient. I have since learned that some of them have SERPA - type release buttons, but they don't make that model for my ruger.

A word of warning, the Kydex plastic that it is made of will rub the finish on most pistols. I don't worry about mine, as it's composite and all, but if you have a stainless or blued weapon, it will show wear. Some people have had success putting moleskin at the wear points, but you will have to get a little wear to find them.

By the way, welcome to OCDO! Hope you stick around!

Respectfully,

Pol

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran

Pol Mordreth

imported post

That video is of the old, 2 rivet model. The newer models are much sturdier. (that vid dates from 04 or 05) Granted, my brother wasn't trying to break it. He was trying to draw it. The retention is excellent, and the paddle is comfortable. Be sure that you have a heavy duty belt, though. With a thin belt mine tends to want to come with the gun sometimes. I bought a pair of 1 1/2 inch leather belts from wally world. They're Dickies brand, and they work very well.

Respectfully,

Pol

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
That video is of the old, 2 rivet model. The newer models are much sturdier. (that vid dates from 04 or 05) Granted, my brother wasn't trying to break it. He was trying to draw it. The retention is excellent, and the paddle is comfortable. Be sure that you have a heavy duty belt, though. With a thin belt mine tends to want to come with the gun sometimes. I bought a pair of 1 1/2 inch leather belts from wally world. They're Dickies brand, and they work very well.

Respectfully,

Pol
Ah, that is good to know. I think I'd still prefer kydex over plastic, but that's obviously not possible in every situation (based on your gun model and availability)

Pol Mordreth

imported post

One other problem I had with the roto paddle - the locking screw that you use to lock the cant angle is a standard right hand thread. That meant for me that, since I wore the gun on my right hip, my car seat back would tend to push the weapon forward, which is in the 'loosen' direction for the screw. That meant, if I wasn't paying close attention, I would sometimes get out of the car and find that my holster would swivel. I solved that by using a dab of locktite on the screw and then reinstalling it and tightening the crap out of it. It hasn't loosened in weeks.

I think that the fobus is a good product. I'm an engineer, though, so I'm used to recognizing where tradeoffs have to be made.

Respectfully,

Pol

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

In terms of engineering tradeoffs, what is the benefit to using plastic over kydex? I thought that this was an economical consideration and not a necessary tradeoff?

That being said, from your response it sounds like the engineer's did a good job with the requirements they were given (At least in the latest versions of the holster).

Pol Mordreth

imported post

It was primarily availability, but there were also combinations of economic, style of carry, and engineering. I liked the fit and weight bearing style of the paddle holster as opposed to a belt holster, but the only paddle choice I could findfor my weapon was the fobus. All paddle style holsters suffer from the same design limitations. To make it light enough to wear comfortably, you have a weaker join than ideal where the paddle attaches to the holster body. So, the engineering choice was inherent to the choice between paddle vs belt vs shoulder.

Kydex is a trademarked name for a specific type of injection molded plastic, and from what I have read it's not much tougher than the variant that fobus uses. Fobus' weakness was in the rivet choice and the placement. Once they redesigned it, IMO it is comparable to any other injection molded plastic paddle.

The main difference that I was able to find with kydex vs other composites was that while kydex has a higher shear strength (resists tearing better) it also has a higher hardness, which means it is more likely to crack or split, especially in loaded drops or warm to cold transitions.

Respectfully,

Pol

glenn36

imported post

WEll I have now been carrying in the Fobus for a few weeks. It took a couple of hours to get used to the feel. Now all i can sai is I LOVE IT!:celebrateI have used it while riding my motorcycle and now issues with falling out od comfort.

My wife is concered that there is no retention......i had her try to take to prove my point. Maybe when more holsters become avail for the SR9 I might look into them but, I am pretty much sold on the Fobus.