• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about oc in OR

Powder River

imported post

Hi to all,

I'm new to this site and I have some questions aboutOC in OR. I have heard that If you have a CHL that you can not OC in OR. Is this as myth? What are some of the other considerations that I need to be aware of before I OC in my state?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm looking forward to being an active member here.

adamsesq

imported post

Powder River wrote:
Hi to all,

I'm new to this site and I have some questions aboutOC in OR. I have heard that If you have a CHL that you can not OC in OR. Is this as myth? What are some of the other considerations that I need to be aware of before I OC in my state?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm looking forward to being an active member here.

Curious where you "have heard" this. I keep hearing it too. It is not true. No way, no how. It's like saying if you have a licensed to drive you are no longer allowed to walk. Just because you are allowed to conceal does not mean you HAVE to. In fact, if you have a CHL there is no where in the state that you can carry concealed that you cannot carry open. There might be places that it is smarter not to carry open, but with a CHL all open carry is allowed except for a very few prohibited areas, see ORS 166.360/370.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHL there are some places that by municipal ordinance you cannot carry a loaded weapon (or maybe even have a loaded mag/speed clip with you) but even in those places you can still carry the weapon openly. And those provisions do not/can not apply to a person with a CHL.

-adamsesq

Powder River

imported post

Thanks for the quick reply. As for the source of this myth I do not know. It is just one of those things that sounds so ridiculous that it almost makes it believable. Thanks for the clarification.

JBURGII

imported post

I think this is a carry over from California. THERE if you have a ccw, you cannot open carry, even thenyou can only OC in unincorporated areas.. this is one of the many reasons I moved back home to Oregon. At least its somewhat civilized here.

There is quite an active group of OCers here in Oregon. Feel free to read what we done wrote and welcome!!

J

mjones

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
I think this is a carry over from California. THERE if you have a ccw, you cannot open carry, even thenyou can only OC in unincorporated areas.. this is one of the many reasons I moved back home to Oregon. At least its somewhat civilized here.

There is quite an active group of OCers here in Oregon. Feel free to read what we done wrote and welcome!!

J

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'd love a cite for that please J.

With very rare exception, every code I've found for prohibiting loaded open carry there is an exception for CCW holders. This is presuming that the issuing authority (Chief of Police or County Sheriff) hasn't implemented any special restrictions.

Below are the two prime example anti-OC laws in CA

---

12050 is the code for CA CCW

12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.
(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to any of the following:
(6) The carrying of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable
of being concealed upon the person by persons who are authorized to
carry those weapons pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section
12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4.

---

626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the
Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person
knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone...shall be punished...
).
(l) This section does not apply to... a person holding a valid license to carry the
firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of
Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4, ...