• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there a restriction on how many handguns I can carry in NC?

partemisio

imported post

I know for concealed carry, you can have any amount on you that you want as long as you have a ccw permit. I would guess that open carry is the same but honestly don't know.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

that's what i was "assuming". i don't remember that being covered in the training class or being mentioned on the application, so i figured there was no restriction.

just figured i would ask. i certainly wouldn't want to be deemed a terrorist because i have a 2nd pistol tucked into my bosom.:lol:

Dragon88

imported post

My friend had this question when he got his CCW. He researched and decided that he could carry as many guns as he wanted and as many magazines of ammo as he wanted because there was no law saying otherwise. He went with a primary and backup carry and an extra magazine for each.

So I guess carry whatever you feel you can justify in court if something were to happen........

Fahrenheit

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
is it legal for me to carry two on me?

how about SIX?

i've had my concealed carry permit for a while and never thought to ask this..
From the NC Statute on Concealed Handgun Permits:
§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law.

From the NC Statute on the construction of NC Statutes:

§ 12‑3. Rules for construction of statutes.
In the construction of all statutes the following rules shall be observed, unless such construction would be inconsistent with the manifest intent of the General Assembly, or repugnant to the context of the same statute, that is to say:
(1) Singular and Plural Number, Masculine Gender, etc. – Every word importing the singular number only shall extend and be applied to several persons or things, as well as to one person or thing; and every word importing the plural number only shall extend and be applied to one person or thing, as well as to several persons or things; and every word importing the masculine gender only shall extend and be applied to females as well as to males, unless the context clearly shows to the contrary.

So there you go. It says "a' concealed handgun, but the rules regarding the construction of the statute make it clear that it applies to the plural. Carry as many as you like.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Just to confirm, I've had to talk to an officer while armed with at least 2 firearms, and there were no problems lol. It's never a bad idea to have a back-up, or two ;).