Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Ditka: NFL Should Prohibit All Players From Owning Guns

Post imported post

Mike Ditka: NFL Should Prohibit All Players From Owning Guns
    Posted Nov 30th 2008 4:10PM by Michael David Smith (author feed)
    Filed under: Bears, NFL Police Blotter

Mike Ditka, the Hall of Fame tight end and Super Bowl-winning coach, discussed the Plaxico Burress situation today in his role on ESPN's NFL Countdown.

And Ditka proposed a simple rule that would likely make players safer, but would also draw the ire of the National Rifle Association: Simply ban all NFL players from owning guns. Here's what Ditka said today, according to a transcript provided by ESPN:

"This is all about priorities. When you get stature in life, you get the kind of contract, you have an obligation and responsibility to your teammates, to the organization, to the National Football League and to the fans. He just flaunted this money in their face. He has no respect for anybody but himself. I feel sorry for him, in the sense that, I don't understand the league, why can anybody have a gun? I will have a policy, no guns, any NFL players we find out, period, you're suspended."

Link: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/11/30/m...m-owning-guns/
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Maybe the NFL should have a rule against ex-coaches being stupid and hating freedom.

Post imported post

HeyMike Ditka,

I know you spent a lot of timecoaching inChicago, the corruption and freedom hating capital of the U.S., but the sort of rule you proposed, permanently barring NFL players a fundamental constitutional right, is over the top.

Maybe we should have a rule saying NFL players are allowed to have and use firearms. Oh wait, we already have that rule. It is the 2A, and it applies to everyone, exceptin places like Chicago, where freedom haters like Mike Ditka have managed to insert laws which take away fundamental human rights.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

When did a 'coach' get his reporterette-card punched to allow him to also abuse the First Amendment.

Post imported post

Sorry Doug, I disagree. "Coach" Ditka isn't abusing his 1A rights Just exercising them and demonstrating STUPID expression of same. BTW where is it written that only the press is entitled to 1A or stupid for that matter?

Post imported post

Me: "Hey Mike, how about a rule in the NFL to ban coaches and players from talking about anything on tvbut coaching and playing football?"

Mike: "You can't do that. That would violate my constitutional rights."

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

Post imported post

Considering some of the stupid $h!t that comes out of the players mouths, perhaps they should have their first amendment rights suspended, then maybe they won't feel the need to carry. Some of those clowns really are low class ghetto trash who would be in jail if they had no football talent. They need more guns as far as I'm concerned. They aren't taking each other out fast enough.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Maybe the NFL should be banned and disolved. After all, isn't it the pro sports associations that make celebrities out of these idiots?

I'm all in favor of seeing everyone exercizing the 1A rights. It helps us identify the braindead amongst us.

Post imported post

It's the NFL - over 21% of them have been arrested or indicted for felonies, many of them convicted, so they can't legally own firearms anyway. If I were Ditka, I would be much more worried about that percentage of verified bad guys in the league rather than worry about the statistically likely <40% who legally own firearms.

ETA: While I linked to an op-ed to get the over 21% stat, that is a stat I have heard from several sources over the last few years so I accept that it is roughly correct although I do not know the original source for the data.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Perhaps the NFL should also prohibit players from riding motorcycles, horses, automobiles, aircraft, motorboats, water skis, snow skis,snow machines, skate boards, skates, scooters,bicycles and unicycles. Clearly players cannot be trusted to protect their team's valuable assets (their bodies and brains).

My guess is that Mike Ditka knows that he could not be trusted to carry a firearm responsibly and is simply projecting his shortcoming onto others.

Surprise!...Mike Ditka is a bully.

Post imported post

Gee, why didn't he just also add "only white NFL players should be allowed to vote" as well. I mean hell, if you're going to gut the Constitution, then damn the torpedoes and gut it!

NOTE: This is nota racist rant, it is made to point out the obsurdity of the original statement.

Post imported post

Go back to Chicago, Mike. It's a bastion of peace and tranquility since they banned handguns.

Post imported post

I think I just became a College Football fan.....
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

It's not just Dicka. It's pro sports establishment types in general. Sports writers, ESPN guys, even the Giants organization all threw him under the bus immediately when the news broke, and of course the Giants did all the required sucking up to Bloomberg and his gang of provincial New York officials. Sports writers and commentators, especially the ones I'm familiar with in Philly, tend to be the biggest liberal weenies you can imagine.

Post imported post

Dickee should ban himself from writing. The NFL should create a policy mandating holster use for carry, backed up by severe penalties.

Post imported post

The NFL needs to shut their damn mouth and stay out of the way.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Mike Ditka, please ****.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !" Patrick Henry

Post imported post

Seriously, it's a bunch of football jocks. They grew up as bullies and jerks, and it has profitted them well. You think they want people to be armed? Duh. They're small-time tyrants like any other.

Banned

Post imported post

i like to play, and played football, basketball, baseball in highschool. baseball in college and professionally.

and i can say i have no interest in watching any of them on tv or anything except baseball in person.

idiots like ditka can go **** themselves.

Post imported post

I love Ditka when he preaches common sense and responsibility.

He's way off the mark here, though.

He's a free thinker most of the time. Groupthink got the best of him here.

Post imported post

Yet one more reason I don't give a rats @$$ about "professional" sports...

Post imported post

Why do they call it common sense when its so uncommon? Better yet, why do they call it 'taking a S H I T' when you aren't taking it anywhere, but leaving it?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Once again, this is because these "professional" athletes can not conduct themselves properlyin a civilized society. Yes, I do still consider us to be civilized. Just like DC and the gun ban, now the "lets make it impossible to own a gun in DC"issue. You can't stop the crime, the thugs are just that-thugs, so outlaw guns. That'll solve the problem and we won't have to educate these overpaid thugs - er - athletes - er - entertainers. Have we had this problem with NASCAR?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

DoubleR wrote:
    Have we had this problem with NASCAR?
    Touche. I have little doubt that crew members have firearms track side in the huge rigs they criss-cross the country in. Heck, it would not surprise me to learn that some drivers CC during an event. NASCAR participants are much more like average citizens than NFL participants.

Post imported post

cccook wrote:
    DoubleR wrote:
    Have we had this problem with NASCAR?
    Touche. I have little doubt that crew members have firearms track side in the huge rigs they criss-cross the country in. Heck, it would not surprise me to learn that some drivers CC during an event. NASCAR participants are much more like average citizens than NFL participants.
    But what is average?

http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nat...-driver-f.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast