• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mike Ditka: NFL Should Prohibit All Players From Owning Guns

Thundar

imported post

Mike Ditka: NFL Should Prohibit All Players From Owning Guns
Posted Nov 30th 2008 4:10PM by Michael David Smith (author feed)
Filed under: Bears, NFL Police Blotter

plaxico.jpg
Mike Ditka, the Hall of Fame tight end and Super Bowl-winning coach, discussed the Plaxico Burress situation today in his role on ESPN's NFL Countdown.

And Ditka proposed a simple rule that would likely make players safer, but would also draw the ire of the National Rifle Association: Simply ban all NFL players from owning guns. Here's what Ditka said today, according to a transcript provided by ESPN:

"This is all about priorities. When you get stature in life, you get the kind of contract, you have an obligation and responsibility to your teammates, to the organization, to the National Football League and to the fans. He just flaunted this money in their face. He has no respect for anybody but himself. I feel sorry for him, in the sense that, I don't understand the league, why can anybody have a gun? I will have a policy, no guns, any NFL players we find out, period, you're suspended."

Link: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/11/30/mike-ditka-nfl-should-prohibit-all-players-from-owning-guns/

Thundar

imported post

HeyMike Ditka,

I know you spent a lot of timecoaching inChicago, the corruption and freedom hating capital of the U.S., but the sort of rule you proposed, permanently barring NFL players a fundamental constitutional right, is over the top.

Maybe we should have a rule saying NFL players are allowed to have and use firearms. Oh wait, we already have that rule. It is the 2A, and it applies to everyone, exceptin places like Chicago, where freedom haters like Mike Ditka have managed to insert laws which take away fundamental human rights.

buzzsaw

imported post

Sorry Doug, I disagree. "Coach" Ditka isn't abusing his 1A rights Just exercising them and demonstrating STUPID expression of same. BTW where is it written that only the press is entitled to 1A or stupid for that matter?

Gordie

imported post

Me: "Hey Mike, how about a rule in the NFL to ban coaches and players from talking about anything on tvbut coaching and playing football?"

Mike: "You can't do that. That would violate my constitutional rights."

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Considering some of the stupid $h!t that comes out of the players mouths, perhaps they should have their first amendment rights suspended, then maybe they won't feel the need to carry. Some of those clowns really are low class ghetto trash who would be in jail if they had no football talent. They need more guns as far as I'm concerned. They aren't taking each other out fast enough.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe the NFL should be banned and disolved. After all, isn't it the pro sports associations that make celebrities out of these idiots?

I'm all in favor of seeing everyone exercizing the 1A rights. It helps us identify the braindead amongst us.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's the NFL - over 21% of them have been arrested or indicted for felonies, many of them convicted, so they can't legally own firearms anyway. If I were Ditka, I would be much more worried about that percentage of verified bad guys in the league rather than worry about the statistically likely <40% who legally own firearms.

ETA: While I linked to an op-ed to get the over 21% stat, that is a stat I have heard from several sources over the last few years so I accept that it is roughly correct although I do not know the original source for the data.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps the NFL should also prohibit players from riding motorcycles, horses, automobiles, aircraft, motorboats, water skis, snow skis,snow machines, skate boards, skates, scooters,bicycles and unicycles. Clearly players cannot be trusted to protect their team's valuable assets (their bodies and brains).

My guess is that Mike Ditka knows that he could not be trusted to carry a firearm responsibly and is simply projecting his shortcoming onto others.

Surprise!...Mike Ditka is a bully.

AZkopper

imported post

Gee, why didn't he just also add "only white NFL players should be allowed to vote" as well. I mean hell, if you're going to gut the Constitution, then damn the torpedoes and gut it!

NOTE: This is nota racist rant, it is made to point out the obsurdity of the original statement.

Tomahawk

imported post

It's not just Dicka. It's pro sports establishment types in general. Sports writers, ESPN guys, even the Giants organization all threw him under the bus immediately when the news broke, and of course the Giants did all the required sucking up to Bloomberg and his gang of provincial New York officials. Sports writers and commentators, especially the ones I'm familiar with in Philly, tend to be the biggest liberal weenies you can imagine.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dickee should ban himself from writing. The NFL should create a policy mandating holster use for carry, backed up by severe penalties.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Seriously, it's a bunch of football jocks. They grew up as bullies and jerks, and it has profitted them well. You think they want people to be armed? Duh. They're small-time tyrants like any other.

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

i like to play, and played football, basketball, baseball in highschool. baseball in college and professionally.

and i can say i have no interest in watching any of them on tv or anything except baseball in person.

idiots like ditka can go **** themselves.

bignflnut

imported post

I love Ditka when he preaches common sense and responsibility.

He's way off the mark here, though.

He's a free thinker most of the time. Groupthink got the best of him here.