• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mike Ditka: NFL Should Prohibit All Players From Owning Guns

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Once again, this is because these "professional" athletes can not conduct themselves properlyin a civilized society. Yes, I do still consider us to be civilized. Just like DC and the gun ban, now the "lets make it impossible to own a gun in DC"issue. You can't stop the crime, the thugs are just that-thugs, so outlaw guns. That'll solve the problem and we won't have to educate these overpaid thugs - er - athletes - er - entertainers. Have we had this problem with NASCAR?

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Have we had this problem with NASCAR?
Touche. I have little doubt that crew members have firearms track side in the huge rigs they criss-cross the country in. Heck, it would not surprise me to learn that some drivers CC during an event. NASCAR participants are much more like average citizens than NFL participants.

The Donkey

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
But what is average?

Feel free to substitute a more appropriate adjective. Ignore the entire sentence if it helps.

I was attempting to illustrate a contrast between NFL and NASCAR cultures. Perhaps I was clumsy.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shooting Your Foot

The lamestream media told you:

Football star Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg with an illegal handgun, and now faces up to 15 years in prison. He had a handgun permit in Florida but it expired earlier this year, and wouldn't have mattered in New York. The NFL encourages its players to stay away from guns because they're too dangerous, with Hall of Famer Mike Ditka saying, "I don't understand the league, why can anybody have a gun? I will have a policy, no guns, any NFL players we find out, period, you're suspended."

The Uninvited Ombudsman notes however that:

Sean Taylor was killed last year during a robbery at his house. Darrent Williams was killed in 2007 outside a nightclub. What makes these two events related is that Taylor played football for the Redskins, and Williams was with the Broncos.

While it's "only" two murders in a year, it calculates out to a murder rate of 118 per 100,000 (for pro-football players) compared to "only" 5.9 per 100,000 for the public. In other words, there is a 20 times greater chance of a football player being killed than you or me. It's higher than for even the highest risk group, black kids between 18 and 24 (a complex function of social and government policies, and the government-sponsored war on some drugs).

Rich, high profile, easy-to-spot football players are a natural target of the same perverse maggots that prey on the rest of society. Instead of recognizing this and screaming for their civil right of self defense to remain intact, the corrupt media screams at the man who shot himself in the leg. Then it provides ad space, disguised as "news," for a fat white cat who campaigns to deny the civil rights of black men to keep and bear arms. You have to have sympathy for Mike "Jim Crow" Ditka, since he comes off as wholly ignorant of the issue he addresses, promoting the disarming of the innocent, just like postbellum bigots in the south.

Immeasurable thanks to Dr. John Lott, who brought this to my attention with his post for FOX news, and did all the math and background making my job a snap. John, you rule.

Not a single news story discussed gun safety, how to avoid shooting yourself in the leg, what errors this man made in gun handling, how he carried or anything that would benefit the public and help keep us safe. According to leading experts, that surprised no one.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Mike Ditka: NFL Should Prohibit All Players From Owning Guns
Posted Nov 30th 2008 4:10PM by Michael David Smith (author feed)
Filed under: Bears, NFL Police Blotter

plaxico.jpg
Mike Ditka, the Hall of Fame tight end and Super Bowl-winning coach, discussed the Plaxico Burress situation today in his role on ESPN's NFL Countdown.

And Ditka proposed a simple rule that would likely make players safer, but would also draw the ire of the National Rifle Association: Simply ban all NFL players from owning guns. Here's what Ditka said today, according to a transcript provided by ESPN:

"This is all about priorities. When you get stature in life, you get the kind of contract, you have an obligation and responsibility to your teammates, to the organization, to the National Football League and to the fans. He just flaunted this money in their face. He has no respect for anybody but himself. I feel sorry for him, in the sense that, I don't understand the league, why can anybody have a gun? I will have a policy, no guns, any NFL players we find out, period, you're suspended."

Link: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/11/30/mike-ditka-nfl-should-prohibit-all-players-from-owning-guns/

And I would agree if ALL NFL FOOTBALL PLAYERS WERE CONVICTED FELONS!!!!!

JoeSparky

Toymaker

imported post

Ditka won a Super Bowl despitehis childish tirades, rantsand big mouth. He simply inherited a great team that gelled together at the right time.
He's now amember of the same liberal news mediathat includes sportscasters.

Why is it that some ofus spend so much time and effort holding a magnifying glass over pro sports players yetyou take people like Mike Ditka, a product of the same spoiled and selfish segment of thatenvironment, and put him up on a pedestal?

Coaches like Joe Gibbs, Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, etc. get much less press and are much better guys.

Hcidem

imported post

I liked Mike Ditka as a coach. I enjoyed watching Mike Ditka as a football commentator. I consider Mike Ditka to be a small part of the entertainment industry known as professional football.

He is evidently as ignorant of the implications of protected rights as are the apparent majority of other entertainers. Stick with talking football, Mike.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Why should anyone care what Ditka sez outside the parameters of football anyway?

If anything... the NFL should hold classes in gun safety.