3 2.19%
  • Kahr

2 1.46%
  • other

18 13.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite non 1911 semi-auto pistol

Post imported post

I am confined to the house today because of a temporary illness. I'm bored so I thought I would do this poll.

I'm not selecting a handgun I'm just curious, which Is why I posted in general discussion.

I am not allowed to edit the punctuation of the poll. I didn't hit the b key hard enough.

"These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

When I was looking, everyone told me to try a BUNCH of different makes/models. My best fit was my XD45. There were a couple that had less kick, or had feature X vs Y, or whatever. I like mine for the best "Bang for the Buck", look, feel, and gosh, it's fun.
    :celebrate

Post imported post

Huge fan of the P239

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Well, once you take the ubiquitous 1911 model off the table you can objectively find a lot of good choices.

Apparently I am alone so far in my judgement that a CZ type pistol is a fine choice. There are a few general reasons for this a lot of specific reasons.

1) The slide design incorporates an internal rail design which allows for the barrel and slide to sit lower in the frame. This reduces the carry profile of the weapon, but more important it places the center of rearward thrust during firing lower and helps reduce muzzle flip.

2) These can be had in most popular calibers, and the Tanfoglio pistols of CZ design sold through European American Armory, even allow for caliber conversions using the same frame. SO you can have a 9mm, a .40 S&W, a .45 auto, and a .22 all on the same base frame. Saves a lot of money

3) The EEA versions of this pistol are generally less costly to buy than similar pistols.

4) The grip shape is more ergonomic than most other designs.

5) Modifications are easy and parts are readily available as these are frequently used as the basis for competition pistols.

6) They come in both full sized "combat" and compact "Carry" models.

7) They can be carried "Cocked and locked" or DA first shot, and there are now DA only models available

On the down side, they are imported. If something happens to importation then parts will dry up. But that is true of most of the selections in your list.

Your mileage may vary, but I have had good experience with these.

"Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I wish the guys that voted "other" would have specified.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."

Post imported post

Activist Member

Post imported post

Beretta 92FS is my favorite, by far.

Activist Member

Post imported post

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

We are fortunate to have in this era lots of good designs to pick from. That said I'm happy with my Glock 23, the only one on the list I don't think I could live with is the Desert Eagle. I've heard of to many problems with them.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    the only one on the list I don't think I could live with is the Desert Eagle. I've heard of to many problems with them.

I wouldn't want one either, but Hollywood seems to like it.

http://www.magnumfilms.com/magsInHolly.html

How's this for an endorsement? I tell you what man! For my money it just doesn't get better than a young Alec Baldwin shirtless with a hairy chest holding a Desert Eagle!

Post imported post

IMI makes a lot of good stuff, but the DE isn't on that list. Too big, too unreliable
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Well, once you take the ubiquitous 1911 model off the table you can objectively find a lot of good choices.

Apparently I am alone so far in my judgement that a CZ type pistol is a fine choice. There are a few general reasons for this a lot of specific reasons.

1) The slide design incorporates an internal rail design which allows for the barrel and slide to sit lower in the frame. This reduces the carry profile of the weapon, but more important it places the center of rearward thrust during firing lower and helps reduce muzzle flip.

2) These can be had in most popular calibers, and the Tanfoglio pistols of CZ design sold through European American Armory, even allow for caliber conversions using the same frame. SO you can have a 9mm, a .40 S&W, a .45 auto, and a .22 all on the same base frame. Saves a lot of money

3) The EEA versions of this pistol are generally less costly to buy than similar pistols.

4) The grip shape is more ergonomic than most other designs.

5) Modifications are easy and parts are readily available as these are frequently used as the basis for competition pistols.

6) They come in both full sized "combat" and compact "Carry" models.

7) They can be carried "Cocked and locked" or DA first shot, and there are now DA only models available

On the down side, they are imported. If something happens to importation then parts will dry up. But that is true of most of the selections in your list.

Your mileage may vary, but I have had good experience with these.
    There's two of us now. I bought two consecutive serial number full size CZ-75's while stationed in W. Germany about 20 years ago.Mine are marked made in Czechoslovakia and no import marks. I don't think they made the compact models back then. I bought them based on the recommendations of a couple of SF types who were friends of mine then. They considered them the best combat 9mm in the world at the time. Still have them.

Post imported post

Post imported post

The CZ82 is my favorite handgun and would carry it if only the 9x18 cartridge was a lot more powerful.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

I really like the XDs and my XD45 is my first choice in a bug-out SHTF scenario because by golly I'm not sure what it would take to make it not go bang when I need it to short of bad ammo, but I haven't seen it yet and even the factory says that it is fine to clean it in Simple Green and lube it with motor oil. But for day to day shooting and carrying I have to admit that I prefer the Sigs I have had opportunity to carry and shoot.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I'm a fan of the Baby Eagle (no relation to the Desert Eagle, just the same distributor). It's a import of the Israeli Jericho, which is "inspired" by the CZ-75. It's pretty identical to the EAA Witness series, except I believe the Witness has a frame mounted safety and can be carry cocked & locked, whereas the Baby Eagle I have (the .45) has a frame mounted safety/decocker.

The image is from a R.K. Campbell review in Gun Week; link: http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0501.html

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    This is your selection for a NON 1911 type pistol?

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    marshaul wrote:
    This is your selection for a NON 1911 type pistol?
    Yes. :P

Post imported post

Hmm, it's right on the tip of my tongue......

Post imported post

The Browning Hi-Power followed by the SIG P220.

Post imported post

How can you not have a Hi-Power on the list? It's still my favorite--including the 1911.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

My fave non-1911, in fact I favorite it OVER the 1911, is the Walther P.38. Yes, it is "only" a 9mm; yes it "only" holds 8 in the mag and one up the spout; but it is very accurate, utterly reliable, and simple to take down and re-assemble. The barrel does not have to tilt to recieve a cartridge and the recoil operating mechanism has only three parts so there is little to go wrong. The wide-open ejection port makes the (extremely) rare jam easy to clear and the hammer can be dropped multiple times on a failed primer.

The baseplate mag catch makes worries about unwanted mag ejection all but irrelevant. The hammer-drop safety and the double-action first shot capability make it probably the safest semi-auto youcan carry.

And any holster that will fit a Beretta M92 will with easy and minor modification to increase trigger guard clearance fit the P.38.

The P.38 was designed to be used right down in the mud and the blood and it is the handgun equivalent of the AK47 in that regard. I have a SW M629 .44 magnum; a K38 Combat Masterpiece; and a .380 Walther PPK/s in addition; and all these are worth more thn my P.38. But if I had to choose only one of my sidearms and sell the rest, the P.38 is the one I would keep.

Post imported post

I wish they were still making Walther P38/P1s, I really liked the one I tried several years ago.

Curiously enough, the S&W M39 was designed for the Army after WW2 due to interest in the 9x19 cartridge at the time; the primary factor for this was the P38. I heard that they even used a P38 magazine with the prototype M39.

Post imported post

I voted "Glock", but I still like my Broomhandle!

--- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast