• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Favorite non 1911 semi-auto pistol

Who do you think makes the est non 1911 semi-auto Handgun

• Sig Sauer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glock

• Springfield

• Smith & Wesson

• Heckler & Koch

• CZ

• Desert Eagle

• Ruger

• Kahr

• other

• Total voters

Alexcabbie

imported post

My fave non-1911, in fact I favorite it OVER the 1911, is the Walther P.38. Yes, it is "only" a 9mm; yes it "only" holds 8 in the mag and one up the spout; but it is very accurate, utterly reliable, and simple to take down and re-assemble. The barrel does not have to tilt to recieve a cartridge and the recoil operating mechanism has only three parts so there is little to go wrong. The wide-open ejection port makes the (extremely) rare jam easy to clear and the hammer can be dropped multiple times on a failed primer.

The baseplate mag catch makes worries about unwanted mag ejection all but irrelevant. The hammer-drop safety and the double-action first shot capability make it probably the safest semi-auto youcan carry.

And any holster that will fit a Beretta M92 will with easy and minor modification to increase trigger guard clearance fit the P.38.

The P.38 was designed to be used right down in the mud and the blood and it is the handgun equivalent of the AK47 in that regard. I have a SW M629 .44 magnum; a K38 Combat Masterpiece; and a .380 Walther PPK/s in addition; and all these are worth more thn my P.38. But if I had to choose only one of my sidearms and sell the rest, the P.38 is the one I would keep.

Walleye

imported post

I wish they were still making Walther P38/P1s, I really liked the one I tried several years ago.

Curiously enough, the S&W M39 was designed for the Army after WW2 due to interest in the 9x19 cartridge at the time; the primary factor for this was the P38. I heard that they even used a P38 magazine with the prototype M39.

Deanimator

imported post

I voted "Glock", but I still like my Broomhandle!

mgc_broomhandle_mauser.jpg

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

I voted for CZ, it was the best wondernine I ever owned, the Browning Hi-Power was probably a close second, as was the P-38 that I owned many years ago also.

The Star Model S is a sweet little pistol, but it's basically a baby 1911.

builtjeep

imported post

I'll have to vote for the XD40sc. I love mine, disturbingly accurate for such a small gun. My 1911 is still my daily carry piece, it just conceals more comfortably.

shad0wfax

imported post

I am in love with my USP Tactical. It's a little more costly than some of the others and the magazines are a little more costly too, but I'll be darned if it's not the most accurate .45 ACP I've ever fired!

opusd2

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
OK, I'll admit that I'm both a little weird and also something of a cheapskate, but I really like my Ruger P89DC. It fits my hand, the recoil is, to me, minimal, and it is fairly accurate right out of the box. I also thought the price was reasonable when I compared it to what else was available where I did my firearms shopping.

I had two major requirements when I bought it; it had to fit both my hand and my budget. I've had pistols that the grips were too small/too large which made controlling the weapon difficult. The degree of difficulty ranged from annoyance level to highly dangerous.

Probably the only drawback I've found with my Ruger is that it is pretty large to comfortably conceal in the summer here in Alabama. Solution: I will be OCing this summer.
Don't apologize! I owned one until I sold it to my buddy who needed something at home for SD, and regretted the decision every moment since. It was a fine shooting, accurate piece with a livable DA trigger pull. Plus I really did like the looks of that animal.

opusd2

imported post

P01769_011_1.jpg

:D:p

And don't nobody try to say that's not a hand-gun. Once you un-hook it from the truck, EVERYTHING about it is done by hand!!
That looks like deer camp of two years ago in central WI! Of course we were shirtless, we were also out of beer...

opusd2

imported post

All kidding aside, the Browning Hi Power is my favorite. Even though it is only 9mm, it is as accurate and dependable as I've had the opportunity to fire. And there have been more than a few I've tried.