• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Favorite non 1911 semi-auto pistol

Who do you think makes the est non 1911 semi-auto Handgun

• Sig Sauer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glock

• Springfield

• Smith & Wesson

• Heckler & Koch

• CZ

• Desert Eagle

• Ruger

• Kahr

• other

• Total voters

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am confined to the house today because of a temporary illness. I'm bored so I thought I would do this poll.

I'm not selecting a handgun I'm just curious, which Is why I posted in general discussion.

I am not allowed to edit the punctuation of the poll. I didn't hit the b key hard enough.

StarbaseSSD

imported post

When I was looking, everyone told me to try a BUNCH of different makes/models. My best fit was my XD45. There were a couple that had less kick, or had feature X vs Y, or whatever. I like mine for the best "Bang for the Buck", look, feel, and gosh, it's fun.
:celebrate

Mainsail

imported post

Huge fan of the P239

7396476c-7aa5-4a54-9223-655199545475.jpg

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, once you take the ubiquitous 1911 model off the table you can objectively find a lot of good choices.

Apparently I am alone so far in my judgement that a CZ type pistol is a fine choice. There are a few general reasons for this a lot of specific reasons.

1) The slide design incorporates an internal rail design which allows for the barrel and slide to sit lower in the frame. This reduces the carry profile of the weapon, but more important it places the center of rearward thrust during firing lower and helps reduce muzzle flip.

2) These can be had in most popular calibers, and the Tanfoglio pistols of CZ design sold through European American Armory, even allow for caliber conversions using the same frame. SO you can have a 9mm, a .40 S&W, a .45 auto, and a .22 all on the same base frame. Saves a lot of money

3) The EEA versions of this pistol are generally less costly to buy than similar pistols.

4) The grip shape is more ergonomic than most other designs.

5) Modifications are easy and parts are readily available as these are frequently used as the basis for competition pistols.

6) They come in both full sized "combat" and compact "Carry" models.

7) They can be carried "Cocked and locked" or DA first shot, and there are now DA only models available

On the down side, they are imported. If something happens to importation then parts will dry up. But that is true of most of the selections in your list.

Your mileage may vary, but I have had good experience with these.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

We are fortunate to have in this era lots of good designs to pick from. That said I'm happy with my Glock 23, the only one on the list I don't think I could live with is the Desert Eagle. I've heard of to many problems with them.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
the only one on the list I don't think I could live with is the Desert Eagle. I've heard of to many problems with them.

I wouldn't want one either, but Hollywood seems to like it.

http://www.magnumfilms.com/magsInHolly.html

How's this for an endorsement? I tell you what man! For my money it just doesn't get better than a young Alec Baldwin shirtless with a hairy chest holding a Desert Eagle!

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Well, once you take the ubiquitous 1911 model off the table you can objectively find a lot of good choices.

Apparently I am alone so far in my judgement that a CZ type pistol is a fine choice. There are a few general reasons for this a lot of specific reasons.

1) The slide design incorporates an internal rail design which allows for the barrel and slide to sit lower in the frame. This reduces the carry profile of the weapon, but more important it places the center of rearward thrust during firing lower and helps reduce muzzle flip.

2) These can be had in most popular calibers, and the Tanfoglio pistols of CZ design sold through European American Armory, even allow for caliber conversions using the same frame. SO you can have a 9mm, a .40 S&W, a .45 auto, and a .22 all on the same base frame. Saves a lot of money

3) The EEA versions of this pistol are generally less costly to buy than similar pistols.

4) The grip shape is more ergonomic than most other designs.

5) Modifications are easy and parts are readily available as these are frequently used as the basis for competition pistols.

6) They come in both full sized "combat" and compact "Carry" models.

7) They can be carried "Cocked and locked" or DA first shot, and there are now DA only models available

On the down side, they are imported. If something happens to importation then parts will dry up. But that is true of most of the selections in your list.

Your mileage may vary, but I have had good experience with these.
There's two of us now. I bought two consecutive serial number full size CZ-75's while stationed in W. Germany about 20 years ago.Mine are marked made in Czechoslovakia and no import marks. I don't think they made the compact models back then. I bought them based on the recommendations of a couple of SF types who were friends of mine then. They considered them the best combat 9mm in the world at the time. Still have them.

jeeper1

imported post

The CZ82 is my favorite handgun and would carry it if only the 9x18 cartridge was a lot more powerful.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I really like the XDs and my XD45 is my first choice in a bug-out SHTF scenario because by golly I'm not sure what it would take to make it not go bang when I need it to short of bad ammo, but I haven't seen it yet and even the factory says that it is fine to clean it in Simple Green and lube it with motor oil. But for day to day shooting and carrying I have to admit that I prefer the Sigs I have had opportunity to carry and shoot.

RedKnightt

imported post

I'm a fan of the Baby Eagle (no relation to the Desert Eagle, just the same distributor). It's a import of the Israeli Jericho, which is "inspired" by the CZ-75. It's pretty identical to the EAA Witness series, except I believe the Witness has a frame mounted safety and can be carry cocked & locked, whereas the Baby Eagle I have (the .45) has a frame mounted safety/decocker.

babyeagles.jpg

The image is from a R.K. Campbell review in Gun Week; link: http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0501.html

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”