• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham/Sudden Valley open carry

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Hi, I am brand new to site and glad I found it found very useful information on this site...I tried open carry without incident the other day....but removed fire arm before going into Fred Meyers not sure if they are open carry freindly or not....Would like to talk to other Bellingham members...and get support..maybe organize an event. If you know anything about Bellingham you also know this probably will stir the hornets nest of Hippy/enviromental extremist here...so I was thinking of trying to get one of my LEO freinds ( ones a trooper ) the other is (police academy trainer) to attend plainsclothes. To help diffuse any encounters with local leo. I also was thinking of starting a Sudden Valley gun club...for sudden valley residents and all whatcom residents....my veiws are that if we carry weapons we need to know how to use them and the club would focus on this aspect of being responsible firearm owners. Well sorry for rambling this is my first post , I hope to hear from my fellow 2nd ammendment activists.

heresolong

imported post

I've never had any problems anywhere in Whatcom County. Richard has had a few but not many. I have carried pretty much everywhere and there has been a noticeable lack of response. I don't know what Freddie's official policy is but no one there has ever said anything to me the few times I've shopped there. We will be having another get together sometime late January so hope to see you there.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

thats good to know...i'm new to open carry...but a strong proponet of it, have you tried to open carry in the fairhaven area? I live in Sudden Valley and they have some very unconstitutional laws against firearms, and I have had run ins with their security. Had to pull out the 12 gauge when they wouldnt leave my property..the deputy who showed up was very respectful and well within my rights...luckily for me it wasn't the ones security came back with after making up their own story...I had called 911 and they had recorded my actions...and could hear security yelling at me and had sent the call thru to sherriff deputy in route...they asked if I was armed I told them yes I have a 12 gauge. So operator prioritized my call. The deputy then told security gaurd who left before sherriff could get there and made their own calls to 911 and then came back with other deputies...actually i think they came back with staters who lived in the valley. The deputy told security he was an idiot because right or wrong if someone brings out a gun you leave..he said he could have been there on a clean up call....It felt good to have the law on my side. I have had to call 911 on them several times because they dont like the fact I stand up for my rights...anyway thats one reason why I'd like to start a Sudden Valley gun club because I know there are a lot more people out here who are armed then our administration realizes.

carnaby

imported post

What unconstitutional laws did the Sudden Valley guys pass? Laws, or regulations? What did you do that got them so fired up? I'm planning on moving to SV in the summer, wouldn't mind the heads up. Thanks :)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

They have their codes and covenants out here...originally this was a canadian resort area to come spend summer time here. They have a specific one that says we may not display or carry any type of fire arm...they even list bow and arrow and potato guns...lol.... And that incident wich was several yrs. ago...I had refused to take a ticket the security gaurd was trying to give me for a loose dog that wasnt my dog..I hold told hime to leave he wouldn't so i went to my garage opened the door and showed hime my dog...I had put hime in garage because the dog that was coming around was in heat and I didnt want to be responsible for any puppies...he followed me into the garage and started yelling at me...and then even started getting into my face and chest bumping telling me I didn't have the right to make him leave...so I then told him if he wanted to start something I would finish it and that he was in my house now...and i could do what ever I wanted to defend myself..and he would have no recourse with the law since he was in my house....he ran out of the garage called back up and before you know it I had 3 Security gaurds in my yard yelling at me to come out....so i grabbed the shotgun and dialed 911....I love sudden valley area I just dont like the association. I have had a few other run ins with them mostly because I don't let them bully me or I stand up for what is right. My buddy who lives out here and is coming around to the idea of open carry....has had issues with them too....we are thinking of running for board or finding someone sympathetic to run on board because the board represents about 10% of sudden valley population and not us everyday folk who live here.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I tried open carry without incident the other day....but removed fire arm before going into Fred Meyers not sure if they are open carry friendly or not....
I just called Fred Meyers Corp customer service to check up on a email I sent on Nov 23rd. I was informed this morning that it is now at their legal department and they will be following up with me soon. I'll post the info when I get it to the businesses that ban guns thread as I did with Toys R Us & Kmart:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/3630-20.html

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Ok well ...there was lots of stuff happening here in sudden valley ..i live up some pretty steep roads and cars where stuck all over and bad wrecks...fortunately i gained controll enough to get stuck oppostite the other cars wich keep piling up...so I open carried all day helping people get unstuck.....and no one said one negative thing actually no one talked about my glock at all....one neighbor mentioned he'd like to get a nine mil..so I told him of some good shops to go to. Also a border patrol agent who lives here (not the molester one) notice my glock and walked up shook my hand and introduced himself...but didn't say a word...of course no security out here even attempted to come up our road that might have changed things. I would have to say that for the most part open carry hasn't been the jaw dropper I thought it would be.It is restoring some of my faith in the general public.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Nice! Hopefully I'll be joining you up there in the summer :)

Right on look forward to having you here. Hit me up when you come up maybe i can show you around we can go down to Tinos for Pizza and a beer ....I've been talking with my neighbors lot of the men are down for arming themselves but ..their wives disapprove. I tell them to bring them down to plantation and have them shoot some rounds I found that eases a lot of peoples fears.

joz00

imported post

Hey Sudden Valley Gunner, Welcome! Let me know if you do start a shooting club, I'd like to join you sometime as I'm off Lakeway myself.

Some crazy snow huh? I heard you guys got hit particularly hard in Sudden Valley...:lol:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

right on will do trying to get my buddy to get some stuff set up for gun club...he got a whole bunch of targets that the sherrifs practice on ...the perp with the gun target..so we are looking forward to using those. Yea we got over a foot here at our house and our roads out here are very steep so many wrecks..a disaster. I look you up to go shooting sometme or if we get a club started.