• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry lunch Valley Coney Flint

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Venator wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
FRIENDS..... I guess I'll have to work on this. I didn't see Venator post his pic..... must take longer to "dress" his pic up.:cool:
Just took a few seconds to touch up. When you start with near perfection it's easy work.
Damm now my wifes in the MOOD after that seaGull look a like !:dude:
Your welcome!;)

SQLtables

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Possible, but not probable. Don't let this event discourage the newer people from oc'ing. Things like this happen to me quite often in the last few months. Also, it was "MY" choice to leave, I was not asked to leave, just cover my gun. But keep in mind it can happen to anyone, anytime. Just stay calm and react to the situation however you are most comfortable with.
I don't know the details, but if you were asked to cover up or leave, it's too bad everybody didn't stand up and walk out.

You're a customer too, and you might feel uncomfortable with your firearm covered...

taxwhat

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
Possible, but not probable. Don't let this event discourage the newer people from oc'ing. Things like this happen to me quite often in the last few months. Also, it was "MY" choice to leave, I was not asked to leave, just cover my gun. But keep in mind it can happen to anyone, anytime. Just stay calm and react to the situation however you are most comfortable with.
I don't know the details, but if you were asked to cover up or leave, it's too bad everybody didn't stand up and walk out.

You're a customer too, and you might feel uncomfortable with your firearm covered...
IMO Now that We had some fun . Lets talk I for one Would have left one hangs we all hang ! Next IMO bad planning for meet if owner not contacted on OC [ private property] .Not enough leg work or preplanning OC needs good educational events think OCers got education on how quick they separated [ cast aside]a fellow member to wolf es .Just my '02 cents

WARCHILD

imported post

Let's not put it in that perspective, please. Keep in mind.... it was MY choice to leave. Yes, it would have made a huge impact had the entire group got up and left. It had crossed my mind to ask them all if they wanted to relocate somewhere else, but I had another stop to make and would have left in a few minutes anyway. There were a lot of new people there and I am kinda glad they stayed and took the time to get to know each other and enjoy the experience. We all did make light of the whole situation (I made the first crack)... my intent to keep it lighthearted was to not discourage these new members from oc'ing again or hesitate to do so. The only reason I was singled out was, I was a late arrival and hence the two tables were full so we added a table at the end, placing me in the aisle. I was more exposed than the rest of the group sitting together (my big gun had nothing to do with it.:p) The complaining ladies were seated to my left and were in direct line of sight with my gun. They didn't like it and complained. The waitress even set a chair in the line of sight so as to block the ladies view. I told her no thanks, if my gun isn't welcome than neither am I. So I chose to leave and made my point that way.

taxwhat

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Let's not put it in that perspective, please. Keep in mind.... it was MY choice to leave. Yes, it would have made a huge impact had the entire group got up and left. It had crossed my mind to ask them all if they wanted to relocate somewhere else, but I had another stop to make and would have left in a few minutes anyway. There were a lot of new people there and I am kinda glad they stayed and took the time to get to know each other and enjoy the experience. We all did make light of the whole situation (I made the first crack)... my intent to keep it lighthearted was to not discourage these new members from oc'ing again or hesitate to do so. The only reason I was singled out was, I was a late arrival and hence the two tables were full so we added a table at the end, placing me in the aisle. I was more exposed than the rest of the group sitting together (my big gun had nothing to do with it.:p) The complaining ladies were seated to my left and were in direct line of sight with my gun. They didn't like it and complained. The waitress even set a chair in the line of sight so as to block the ladies view. I told her no thanks, if my gun isn't welcome than neither am I. So I chose to leave and made my point that way.
IMO Planing per site no host, poor plan if never checked with owner .Public land different and money talks .And if courting new members does not make good thought process no unity .Please remember Monroe owner stuck it out under presser of city chief of police and some minor customer dislikes also Downtown business that where open Welcomed us then and now should any OCer chose to visit .

conservative1985

imported post

Warchild wrote... The complaining ladies were seated to my left and were in direct line of sight with my gun. They didn't like it and complained. The waitress even set a chair in the line of sight so as to block the ladies view.

What I find most amuzing is that they were not complaining about having the gun, only that it was showing. You think the complaint would be "hey waitress that guy has a gun, I think he may rob the place", or hey waitress is that guy a cop? :banghead:

Like warchild said to cover it would be an insult, not to mentionillegal,(less'in ya had a cpl)

SQLtables

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
IMO Planing per site no host, poor plan if never checked with owner .Public land different and money talks .And if courting new members does not make good thought process no unity .Please remember Monroe owner stuck it out under presser of city chief of police and some minor customer dislikes also Downtown business that where open Welcomed us then and now should any OCer chose to visit .
I don't necessarily think it was poor planning. We shouldn't have to call ahead to make sure we are welcome no more than somebody wearing green lipstick should have to.

Assuming the group as a whole doesn't mind, I like the idea of making a statement with something like this. We should not call ahead, and if they ask somebody to leave, the entire group leaves. I think management might have something to think about at that point.

warlockmatized

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
I don't necessarily think it was poor planning. We shouldn't have to call ahead to make sure we are welcome no more than somebody wearing green lipstick should have to.

Assuming the group as a whole doesn't mind, I like the idea of making a statement with something like this. We should not call ahead, and if they ask somebody to leave, the entire group leaves. I think management might have something to think about at that point.
Nate hit it on the head. PERFECT!

taxwhat

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:

IMO Disagree one is educational event [with speaker or purpose of gaining forward momentum] and new followers .Owner of restaurant made five dollars less gross that day,what was gain for OCers ? Other is educational protest for or against unfairly enforced law [rule ,ordinance] on public area challenging non compliance of second amendment . In public view with or without consequences .

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
SNIP

I agree, asking permission gets OC nowhere. I can understand whyJerrydecided to leave and not make a scene for the new MOC'ers, but I too agree that the whole group should have left together.

I was not able to be there yesterday due to being sick.Therefore, I'm not aware at whattime during the event Jerry was approachedand decided to leave, but with many other restaurants in the area, the group could have easily went somewhere else. That, IMO, would have sent a message to the Valley workers/owners.

ETA: I hope the new MOC'ers had a good time andhope this issue with Valley does not discourage them to OC in the future.

Getwild2

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
Let's not put it in that perspective, please. Keep in mind.... it was MY choice to leave. Yes, it would have made a huge impact had the entire group got up and left. It had crossed my mind to ask them all if they wanted to relocate somewhere else, but I had another stop to make and would have left in a few minutes anyway. There were a lot of new people there and I am kinda glad they stayed and took the time to get to know each other and enjoy the experience. We all did make light of the whole situation (I made the first crack)... my intent to keep it lighthearted was to not discourage these new members from oc'ing again or hesitate to do so. The only reason I was singled out was, I was a late arrival and hence the two tables were full so we added a table at the end, placing me in the aisle. I was more exposed than the rest of the group sitting together (my big gun had nothing to do with it. :p)  The complaining ladies were seated to my left and were in direct line of sight with my gun. They didn't like it and complained. The waitress even set a chair in the line of sight so as to block the ladies view. I told her no thanks, if my gun isn't welcome than neither am I. So I chose to leave and made my point that way.
IMO Planing  per site no host , poor plan if never checked with owner .Public land different and money talks .And if courting new members does not make good thought process no unity .Please remember Monroe owner stuck it out under presser of city chief of police and some minor customer dislikes also Downtown business that where open Welcomed us then and now should any OCer chose to visit .
I don't necessarily think it was poor planning.  We shouldn't have to call ahead to make sure we are welcome no more than somebody wearing green lipstick should have to.

Assuming the group as a whole doesn't mind, I like the idea of making a statement with something like this.  We should not call ahead, and if they ask somebody to leave, the entire group leaves.  I think management might have something to think about at that point.
+1

I was one of the new members there open-carrying my "cute little Block" (sub-compact Glock .40) as one of the other MOC's so kindly pointed out. :banghead: :p

I agree with the above remark in that we should not have to announce our presence prior to a casual get together for breakfast. This is still a free country, OC is still legal in MI?! Sure life would be easier to call ahead every time and make sure it would be okay, however I thought it was nice to just plain get together with the guys (and gal) for a meal and some good conversation.

Also, I wouldn't have had a problem leaving with Jerry but not one person mentioned it. As Jerry mentioned, it was nearly time to wrap up and leave anyhow, though in retrospect it would have made a bigger statement to leave. Could'a, would'a, should'a...can't do anything about it now but learn from it.

On a positive note, this has not had a negative impact on me regarding OC, only a positive one in the desire to educate. It was great to meet all of you guys, hope we can do it all again soon!

-Getwild2 (Cory)

Glockingbird

imported post

BrianJeffsRud.jpg

If Venator had been there it would have been better he has a way with the ladies. :lol:

MadManFuManChu

imported post

I was also one of the new guys at the meeting. I had a great time meeting everyone and learning some things I didn't know before. Freak was great to my son and Jerry is a fantastic example of a gentleman when dealing with those who oppose our choice to OC.

To maybe clarify what happened, it wasn't until the meal was over and we were wrapping up that Jerry was asked to leave. All of us left within a few minutes of Jerry being asked to leave. I do agree that a stronger statement would have been for us all to get up and go immediately. Lesson learned.

taxwhat - It would be helpful if you would use some punctuation and proper capitalization and spelling in order to better understand your posts. Your points are taken less seriously because they aren't communicated well, IMO.

WARCHILD

imported post

"we were wrapping up that Jerry was asked to leave".
Please understand, I was NOT asked to leave. Only to cover my gun. It was MY choice to leave. Granted, them asking me to cover my gun was the same as saying I was not welcome there. So I left and will make it a point to never go back.

SQLtables

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
"we were wrapping up that Jerry was asked to leave".
Please understand, I was NOT asked to leave. Only to cover my gun. It was MY choice to leave. Granted, them asking me to cover my gun was the same as saying I was not welcome there. So I left and will make it a point to never go back.
Close enough. From what I read, you did the right thing. It's important to remember to be polite in situations like that. It is private property, and they have the right to ask you to leave/cover up/stand on your head, and that needs to be respected. It sounds like you set a good example for any new people who were present.