Thread: Pro Pro Carry Letter to Editor in the Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.star-telegram.com/242/story/1091084.html

Scares the bad guys

A letter writer asks why he should make others uncomfortable by wearing a gun if he only wants to protect himself from bad guys. (See: "Open-carry law pushes the limits, Dec. 6)

I’ll tell you why. First of all, it shouldn’t make law-abiding citizens uncomfortable; second, if it unsettles a law-abiding citizen, it will scare the tar out of anyone planning nefarious deeds.

There is, quite simply, no reason to be scared of a gun on a hip. A uniform and badge does not suddenly make that gun "safe," no more than its absence makes the gun somehow "dangerous." The gun is only as safe as the person who carries it, and I think that the 45,000 signed supporters of the open-carry petition, to say nothing of the millions of Texas gun owners who do not have a CHL, would consider it a great insult to infer that they are somehow "unsafe" because they don’t have the Texas Department of Public Safety’s seal of approval.

What it comes down to is choice. You choose to conceal a handgun to protect yourself while appearing "normal" and thus retaining the element of surprise. You have had the ability to make that choice for almost 14 years, but you didn’t always have it and had to fight very similar arguments in order to finally get it enacted.

I would like the choice of openly carrying my weapon as a deterrent, for comfort reasons and for practical reasons, including access time and weapon choice. I cannot make that choice simply because of the state I live in; 44 of 51 jurisdictions allow me to do exactly what I want to do here, and yet Texas, stereotypically the most gun-friendly state in the union, will not.

— Keith Shannon, Dallas

Centurion

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    "Scares the bad guys." Does this include the ones in uniform, too?
    The posted article did not specify!!!!:what:
    JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    "Scares the bad guys." Does this include the ones in uniform, too?
    While it probably won't scare them it may cause them to tip their hand. Then we deal with them. But look who I'm tellin'.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hey, Mike... That is the Fort Worth Star Telegram. There is a world of difference between Dallas and Fort Worth. Like Roy Rogers said, "Fort Worth is where the West begins, and Dallas is where the East peters out." Unfortunately, the Fort Worth Star Telegram tends to be more liberal, and more anti-freedom than the Dallas Morning News.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    http://www.star-telegram.com/242/story/1091084.html

Scares the bad guys

A letter writer asks why he should make others uncomfortable by wearing a gun if he only wants to protect himself from bad guys. (See: "Open-carry law pushes the limits, Dec. 6)

I’ll tell you why. First of all, it shouldn’t make law-abiding citizens uncomfortable; second, if it unsettles a law-abiding citizen, it will scare the tar out of anyone planning nefarious deeds.

There is, quite simply, no reason to be scared of a gun on a hip. A uniform and badge does not suddenly make that gun "safe," no more than its absence makes the gun somehow "dangerous." The gun is only as safe as the person who carries it, and I think that the 45,000 signed supporters of the open-carry petition, to say nothing of the millions of Texas gun owners who do not have a CHL, would consider it a great insult to infer that they are somehow "unsafe" because they don’t have the Texas Department of Public Safety’s seal of approval.

What it comes down to is choice. You choose to conceal a handgun to protect yourself while appearing "normal" and thus retaining the element of surprise. You have had the ability to make that choice for almost 14 years, but you didn’t always have it and had to fight very similar arguments in order to finally get it enacted.

I would like the choice of openly carrying my weapon as a deterrent, for comfort reasons and for practical reasons, including access time and weapon choice. I cannot make that choice simply because of the state I live in; 44 of 51 jurisdictions allow me to do exactly what I want to do here, and yet Texas, stereotypically the most gun-friendly state in the union, will not.

— Keith Shannon, Dallas
    Hey, it made it! Guess it's time to "out" myself; that was my letter. Nice to see it at least made it to the website. I don't get the Telegram, so if anyone else does, lemme know if it made it to print.