• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro Pro Carry Letter to Editor in the Ft. Worth Star Telegram

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.star-telegram.com/242/story/1091084.html

Scares the bad guys

A letter writer asks why he should make others uncomfortable by wearing a gun if he only wants to protect himself from bad guys. (See: "Open-carry law pushes the limits, Dec. 6)

I’ll tell you why. First of all, it shouldn’t make law-abiding citizens uncomfortable; second, if it unsettles a law-abiding citizen, it will scare the tar out of anyone planning nefarious deeds.

There is, quite simply, no reason to be scared of a gun on a hip. A uniform and badge does not suddenly make that gun "safe," no more than its absence makes the gun somehow "dangerous." The gun is only as safe as the person who carries it, and I think that the 45,000 signed supporters of the open-carry petition, to say nothing of the millions of Texas gun owners who do not have a CHL, would consider it a great insult to infer that they are somehow "unsafe" because they don’t have the Texas Department of Public Safety’s seal of approval.

What it comes down to is choice. You choose to conceal a handgun to protect yourself while appearing "normal" and thus retaining the element of surprise. You have had the ability to make that choice for almost 14 years, but you didn’t always have it and had to fight very similar arguments in order to finally get it enacted.

I would like the choice of openly carrying my weapon as a deterrent, for comfort reasons and for practical reasons, including access time and weapon choice. I cannot make that choice simply because of the state I live in; 44 of 51 jurisdictions allow me to do exactly what I want to do here, and yet Texas, stereotypically the most gun-friendly state in the union, will not.

— Keith Shannon, Dallas

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"Scares the bad guys." Does this include the ones in uniform, too?
While it probably won't scare them it may cause them to tip their hand. Then we deal with them. But look who I'm tellin'.

David817

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey, Mike... That is the Fort Worth Star Telegram. There is a world of difference between Dallas and Fort Worth. Like Roy Rogers said, "Fort Worth is where the West begins, and Dallas is where the East peters out." Unfortunately, the Fort Worth Star Telegram tends to be more liberal, and more anti-freedom than the Dallas Morning News.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.star-telegram.com/242/story/1091084.html

Scares the bad guys

A letter writer asks why he should make others uncomfortable by wearing a gun if he only wants to protect himself from bad guys. (See: "Open-carry law pushes the limits, Dec. 6)

I’ll tell you why. First of all, it shouldn’t make law-abiding citizens uncomfortable; second, if it unsettles a law-abiding citizen, it will scare the tar out of anyone planning nefarious deeds.

There is, quite simply, no reason to be scared of a gun on a hip. A uniform and badge does not suddenly make that gun "safe," no more than its absence makes the gun somehow "dangerous." The gun is only as safe as the person who carries it, and I think that the 45,000 signed supporters of the open-carry petition, to say nothing of the millions of Texas gun owners who do not have a CHL, would consider it a great insult to infer that they are somehow "unsafe" because they don’t have the Texas Department of Public Safety’s seal of approval.

What it comes down to is choice. You choose to conceal a handgun to protect yourself while appearing "normal" and thus retaining the element of surprise. You have had the ability to make that choice for almost 14 years, but you didn’t always have it and had to fight very similar arguments in order to finally get it enacted.

I would like the choice of openly carrying my weapon as a deterrent, for comfort reasons and for practical reasons, including access time and weapon choice. I cannot make that choice simply because of the state I live in; 44 of 51 jurisdictions allow me to do exactly what I want to do here, and yet Texas, stereotypically the most gun-friendly state in the union, will not.

— Keith Shannon, Dallas
Hey, it made it! Guess it's time to "out" myself; that was my letter. Nice to see it at least made it to the website. I don't get the Telegram, so if anyone else does, lemme know if it made it to print.