• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Borough of West Mifflin PA Proposed Gun Ban at Its Meetings

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Latest snip from the topix grapevine...

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/mckeesport-pa/TQQM7NJ4D5MU6HDH6/post26
Last I heard the council and the borough attorney says the detector will go up. They will challenge the law,these cases take years to resolve. By that time the laws will be in favor of the metal detectors being installed. Plus you gun owners ( I have respect for your rights) cant say anything at the meeting,it's west mifflin business ONLY! you'll be called out of order,not because you have carry,but because you will be ejected from the building from speaking or shouting that doesnt involve west mifflin agendas.
Dont get me wrong ,hope a ton of you guys show up at the Jan 20th meeting. the more the merrier ,just let KDKA,WTAE,and WPXI news trucks be in the parking lot,and have all 3 newspaper reporters there too.. Daily News in McKeesport,Post Gazette in Pittsburgh,and the Tribune Review in Pittsburgh.

TFred

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Latest snip from the topix grapevine...

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/mckeesport-pa/TQQM7NJ4D5MU6HDH6/post26
Last I heard the council and the borough attorney says the detector will go up. They will challenge the law,these cases take years to resolve. By that time the laws will be in favor of the metal detectors being installed. Plus you gun owners ( I have respect for your rights) cant say anything at the meeting,it's west mifflin business ONLY! you'll be called out of order,not because you have carry,but because you will be ejected from the building from speaking or shouting that doesnt involve west mifflin agendas.
Dont get me wrong ,hope a ton of you guys show up at the Jan 20th meeting. the more the merrier ,just let KDKA,WTAE,and WPXI news trucks be in the parking lot,and have all 3 newspaper reporters there too.. Daily News in McKeesport,Post Gazette in Pittsburgh,and the Tribune Review in Pittsburgh.
Huh!? Because people who carry guns can't control themselves from speaking out of turn? Good strategy!

TFred

TFred

imported post

http://www.westmifflinborough.com/administration/council/meetings.html

Looks like you have about 15 minutes from now to request addition to the agenda!

TFred

Oops, can I do math? 27 hours before 6:30 tomorrow was 15 minutes before I posted this! ::sigh:: I guess they want to get it done before the normal close of business the day before the meeting.

ETcorrect math!

TFred

imported post

Google News search pops up a slightly related story which just hit about an hour ago. Maybe this will give them an "excuse" out of their dilemma... of course they don't seem to see that they are in one. :?

TFred

Charges of threatening West Mifflin councilwoman dropped

By The Tribune-Review

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Charges of harassment and terroristic threats were dismissed Tuesday against a woman accused of threatening West Mifflin Councilwoman Rhonda Popovich.

"If you should happen to go off the deep end and harass this lady, charges will be refiled," Senior District Judge Edward Burnett told Diane Stanesic of West Mifflin, who frequently attends council meetings. "Go out and behave yourself."

Burnett advised Stanesic to run for office if she is not happy with the job elected officials are doing. Stanesic had no comment following the proceeding.

Farmer Troy

imported post

Newspaper update - Dec. 29th, 2008

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_604813.html

Gun group fights plan for metal detector By Craig Smith
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 29, 2008

Gun advocates are considering a legal challenge to West Mifflin's plan to install a metal detector at the entrance to council's chambers.
"We're researching the legality of taking them to court ... and the novel concept of challenging the licenses of solicitors who give bad advice," said Kim Stolfer, chairman of the legislative committee of the Allegheny County Sportsmen's League.
The metal detector probably will not be installed until borough solicitor Michael Adams reviews the matter, borough Manager Howard Bednar said. Adams could not be reached for comment.

Council unanimously approved the proposal in November and had hoped to have the metal detector installed in January.
"We're not saying you can't carry guns. Don't bring them to council meetings," Bednar said.
West Mifflin's decision discriminates against gun owners, which is prohibited by state law, Stolfer said in a letter to borough officials.
"It makes no sense. The establishment of gun-free zones does nothing but tell criminals where people are unarmed," Stolfer told the Trib.
Commonwealth Court ruled Sept. 26 that only the state Legislature has the authority to pass laws governing the use or sale of guns. The matter has been appealed to the state Supreme Court.
In facilities with metal detectors, such as courthouses, confiscated weapons normally are placed in a secure area where owners can retrieve them later. The borough building has no such area, said Mayor John Andzelik, a former West Mifflin police chief.
Council members said the idea to install the detector was not a response to any particular threat or incident. Everyone attending meetings, including council members, will be required to walk through the device, which is expected to cost about $3,600.
Security cameras were installed in council's second-floor chambers several months ago.
Metal detectors have been installed at schools throughout the region and are used in courthouses and other government buildings. They have been used at borough council meetings in the southeast part of the state, according to the Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs.

Craig Smith can be reached at csmith@tribweb.com or 412-380-5646.