• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Forum

Fred Kenpo

imported post

I am fortunate enough to live in Oregon, where open carry is legal (although cities can require that you have a concealed carry license before you open carry!?). A concealed handgun license (not a permit) can be issued to any citizen over 21 who passes a background check, consents to being fingerprinted, and (initially) have 2 character references. I also live close to the California border, where open carry of an unloaded handgun is the only legal way to do so. I'm pleased with the movement, and want to say that it may be the only way to protect our rights in the upcoming Obaminable Years. Interested to hear of any suggestions for handling LEO encounters, either in Oregon or California. The Oregon Firearms Federation recounted an incident in the Portland area where, appareny, licensees are in a Total Information System. He didn't volunteer that he was carrying, and before he knew it, five police cars were summoned for the "routine" traffic violation. Due to the OFF, the incident resolved itself well. (I also live where the school teacher wanted to carry in schools). Thanks for listening and keep the faith!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I don't know how the law in your state is, but in Michigan, if we are stopped, and carrying, we are required by law to notify the officer. Now, this only applies to concealed carry, not to open carry, but in Michigan (as in some other states) when you are in a vehicle, your pistol is considered to be concealed, and you better have a permit.

Consequently, the few times I've been stopped by police while driving, I always inform, up front, and hand over my CPL (Concealed Pistol License) along with my drivers license and proof of insurance, and of course, I tell them I'm packing and where it is. So far, no problems, and interestingly enough, no tickets either. ;)

Fred Kenpo

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
I don't know how the law in your state is, but in Michigan, if we are stopped, and carrying, we are required by law to notify the officer...in Michigan (as in some other states) when you are in a vehicle, your pistol is considered to be concealed, and you better have a permit.

Consequently, the few times I've been stopped by police while driving, I always inform, up front, and hand over my CPL (Concealed Pistol License) along with my drivers license and proof of insurance, and of course, I tell them I'm packing and where it is. So far, no problems, and interestingly enough, no tickets either. ;)

In Oregon you don't have to tell the police that you are carrying concealed; in fact, some carry gurus think you shouldn't, as it scares them. (This is different in other states I've been in--Utah, Ohio, and North Carolina.) The cop in the infamous incident I mentioned was unaware of this. In a vehicle, it depends on whether it is in plain sight or not. I heard of one man who was stopped by a cop and his gun slipped under the seat coincidentally. He was busted for carrying concealed. However, due to budget cuts, the county DA where I live is not prosecuting dips__t crimes like that. On another point: I once had to drive into California and didn't want to have the hassle of putting my gun away. I now know that if it were a revolver, I could carry it open, if unloaded, with a speed loader in pocket. You can load a revolver almost as fast as you can draw it. Or you can simply say to your assailant:
This here's a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun allowed in California. One bullet can blow your face clean off. Now, I know what you're thinking. Is he a law abiding citizen with an unloaded gun, or is he one of those 2nd Amendment nuts who carry a loaded gun? Well, I'm kind of forgetful, so I don't rightly know myself. So you just have to ask yourself--do I feel lucky? Well do you punk? ;)