• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National parks, what about state parks?

PISTOL PACKIN MAMA

imported post

This new law allowing concealed carriers to carry in national parks, does this cover state parks also?Right now, I only go hiking ongas well roadsand old mine properties so I can take my gun. It would be nice to be able to protect myself in a state park too.

rscottie

imported post

I found the reference below to firearms in State Parks at http://www.wvstateparks.com/reg_3.htm

Title 58, Series 31, Section 2.14.
Uncased firearms, uncased bows and uncased arrows are prohibited in state parks, state forests, and state wildlife management areas, and on state trails, except:

a.
When the area is open for hunting (hunting is prohibited in state parks) or when a registered park or forest guest has the written permission of the area superintendent to carry them in a case from his or her lodge room, cabin or campsite to open hunting areas, or to an officially designated rifle, pistol, skeet, trap, target or shooting range;

b.
Area superintendents may authorize their use in historical reenactments and plays; and

c.
The Chief of Parks and Recreation, Division of Natural Resources, may authorize their use for a limited period in conjunction with recreational and arts and crafts programs.

The way I read this is that it must be put away in a case which really makes it hard to use for self-defense. I will continue looking.

rscottie

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
W.Va. Code § 20-2-6aoverrides all these rules if you're licensed & carrying a concealed handgun.

That is good to know! Of course they do not update the website where one would generally go first to see the rules.

I only live about 7 miles (less the way the bird flies) from the WV line. My mom and sister live in Wayne County out in the boonies. We ride 4 wheelers, hunt, shoot, cook-out, etc. over there and really love it.