• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indifference to crime.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Society is circling the bowl. Laughing at a man shot in the knees and no one helping him is why I carry a firearm to defend myself.

[flash=450,370]http://www.liveleak.com/e/8ef_1229239040[/flash]

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The offending video.
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/274bkn7vkO8&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Devils Advocate

imported post

OMG!!

The witnessescould not really do anything but stand there I guess. Could they slip out and call for help? Or did they not do that due to the other guy standing there?

Were they laughing or was it nervous laughter?

In regards to helping the victim I guess you have to worry about blood borne deceases in todays world.

But a good reason to be armed when you are out.

Gordie

imported post

The police don't know if they were all together? The girls were laughing like it was big fun and then left with the robbers, if they weren't together at the beginning then they were obviously together after.:cuss:

They are all guilty of a crime, even the employee who wouldn't offer help. At the very least I hope the guy fires the little punk.

Devils Advocate

imported post

Gordie wrote:
The police don't know if they were all together? The girls were laughing like it was big fun and then left with the robbers, if they weren't together at the beginning then they were obviously together after.:cuss:

They are all guilty of a crime, even the employee who wouldn't offer help. At the very least I hope the guy fires the little punk.

I do not recall a law that compels you to help others. That is your civic duty.

I am not going to put my mouth on a strangers mouth and give CPR.

I am not going to touch blood from a stranger either!!

I will give you clothing for a pressure dressing and call 9-1-1 for you. But I am not required to help you.

Nothing like providing aid to someone and then contracting a life threatening illness for your good deed.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Disgusting. Obviously that huge gun-free zone known as MD, NJ, NY, etc. doesn't prevent or deter crime. Furthermore, mental health services? HA! These people are not mentally ill, they are just criminals. They want something for nothing. Thugs, punks, gang bangers, useless human beings. That whole thing makes me sick and reinforces once again my refusal to visit that area of the country.

sraacke

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:

I will give you clothing for a pressure dressing and call 9-1-1 for you. But I am not required to help you.

Nothing like providing aid to someone and then contracting a life threatening illness for your good deed.

DA,

I'm compelled to help because I'm a moral person who does not want to see people hurt or die needlessly. I carry a handgun for my personal defense but it's not the only thing I have with me.

You don't have to put your mouth on a strangers mouth to give CPR. There are many barrior devices which are vailable and I carry at least one with me always. Several companies sell CPR Microshields which often come in puches designed to be carried on your keyring. I have one on my key ring. I also have a small belt pouch which holds a Microshield which I often carry next to a MiniMag flashlighton my left hip opposite of my pistol.

You don't have to touch blood either. A pair of non-latex gloves takes up very little room in a pocket or in a pouch along with your Microshield. Both the keyring and the belt pouch I carry my Microshields ininclude a pair of nitrile gloves. Just Basic PPE. I always keep a pair in my back pocket and swap them out regularly at the hospital where I work.

I've used nothing more than the Microshield and gloves from my key ring to First Respond as a fireman to a man suffering a MCI until our rescue truck crew could respond with and set up their BLS/ALS equiptment. If used properly this will protect you from the life threatening illnesses you fear.

As many people on this board have pointed out, our pistols we carryare simplytools we use. Not much different than fire extinguishers we keep in our cars or homes. I perfer to have a few more tools available at hand. A pistol, my cellphone, a small flashlight, a CPR Shield, nonlatex gloves and a swiss army knife or Gerber multitool. I never leave home without them.

Yale,

EMT and former firefighter

SlackwareRobert

imported post

But this wasn't helping some stranger on the street, this looked like
a customer, who was unarmed by store policy. Therefore it is the stores
respnsibility to render aid. Hope he sues the store owner for not
enforcing the 'No Guns' policy on the crooks as well.

Also it is a good thing the victim wasn't armed, with all the commotion
in self defence, it would have been a tough call not to also get the laughing
b*tch#s also.

Gordie

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:

Any person that would simply walk away from a victim of crime who had suffered a gunshot wound is a lowlife piece of filth. At least give them something to help stop the bleeding, a shirt, a towel, almost anything can work as a bandage in an emergency. It doesn't have to be pristine and sterile (though that would be nice),worry about infection of the wound after you've solved the problem of bleeding out.

While there may be no law to render aid, that doesn't mean that youhave no responsibility to do so. I don't like the idea of these kind of laws because it's one of those things that shouldn't be required by law, it should just be done. I don't think that everything should need tobe written in the law,onsome things youshould just know better. Cases like this is where laws like that come from. IfI turnmy back on someone, I won't be surprised if someone turns their back on me.

If you requalify on yourCPR training you will find that you are no longer required to do mouth to mouth, this is a recent change. Blood only poses a risk if you have an open wound, or if you get it in your mouth or eyes or other bodily orifice (I don't even want to know how that would happen in this context.). There are things that can be done after the fact to help reduce your risk from contamination that you may have come into contact with.

The risks are just not that severe if you take even minimal precautions. If it were that dangerous we would not have any ER staff because they would all be dead. They touch blood (and other bodily fluids)from strangers almost every day.

If I came across someone in that situation, the thought of disease would not even cross my mind until after the situation was resolved. If something did happen which caused me to become infected, then it would just be a case of giving your life while saving others. This is something that every person that has ever served in the military has had to be prepared to face at some point. I would rather die knowing that I did the right thing than live a long life as a coward.

Off topic, but still good to know. The Bee Gees' song "Staying Alive" is the perfect rhythm for giving chest compressions during CPR. Just do the compressions to the beat while singing the song in your head. And besides, it is kind of appropriate for the situation.:lol: