• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IMPORTANT: Please attend Nordyke Oral Arguments

larnfow

imported post

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=137800

All,

It is quite important for the actual Nordyke appeal that we pack the courtroom and the overflow. Our counsel would like to be able point out the large number of "The People" sitting in the courtroom that day who believe that this is an individual right that applies to California. Background on this case and why it is important here.

We will be hosting an event after. If you can also attend that, please post that in this thread.

To remind, the argument is Thursday January 15, 2009. The argument will start at 1:30 PM in Courtroom 1, 3rd floor of the James R. Browning US Courthouse.

The address of the Court is:
United States Court of Appeals - 9th Circuit
95 Seventh Street
San Francisco, California 94103

This is at the corner of Mission and 7th and is one block from Civic Center BART. There are a couple of parking decks closer to the Convention Center that are easy walks.

You must have government issued photo ID to get in the building. Note that no weapons, or knives of any kind are allowed inside the Courthouse building. Photography is also not permitted. I'm making sure the court can seat a few hundred "The People" for this case. Please wear business attire - we want to look impressive. I'll be in a suit and tie.

A large showing of well dressed firearms owners will help prove the point that the Second Amendment matters.

Edited to add: Please cross post this to other forums, blogs, etc. A very large turnout is very important.

-Gene

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I encourage OC advocates to wear an empty holster. Other gun owners and the 'right people' need to be shown that the OC movement is still strong and needs attention. Also, join or donate to the Madison Society! They have worked hard for your rights and deserve a little financial support for the time and money they've put into the Nordyke case.

Hopefully the after party will be in a location where we will be able to OC.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

This kinda' bothers me.
I find it disturbing that a Judge might base his binding, legal opinion on how many people the litigants can pack into the courtroom.
In San Francisco, I can only imagine what kind of freak-show this idea might inspire.

cato

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I encourage OC advocates to wear an empty holster. Other gun owners and the 'right people' need to be shown that the OC movement is still strong and needs attention. Also, join or donate to the Madison Society! They have worked hard for your rights and deserve a little financial support for the time and money they've put into the Nordyke case.

Hopefully the after party will be in a location where we will be able to OC.

With GREAT respect for all you've done and been through (you know I mean that), I don't think I can tactically agree with open empty holsters at the hearing for the following reason.

If the judge is already of the opinion that OC is a 2nd A. right, then the OCed empty holster will not change his opinion and has no effect on the issue. If the judge is not of that opinion at this time, or hasn't formed an opinion,in a case that doesn't directly deal with LOC (as UOC is what is done at gun shows in Ca and usually not in holsters) then the distraction which an empty holster may cause for the security personnel or other staffat the court (co-workers/ judges clerks etc... talk at the water cooler) is not worth the risk IMO is this case.

We'll have UOC and possible LOC opportunities a-plentyif the decision is handed down in our favor.

Remember the Ohio SC decision sparked the OC defense walks after the decision. I doubt the judges realized what would occur after their ruling. They may have been looking for a way to support the current (at the time) state CC prohibition rather then affirm an OC right for LOC as that wasn't an OC case.

Matai

imported post

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but whenever Nordyke comes up, people start talking about "incorporation" and how it will help our cause. What do people mean when they say "incorporation"?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

From Wikipedia's entry on Incorporation:

Amendment II Right to keep and bear arms
  • This provision has not been held to be incorporated against the states. See Miller v. Texas, 153 U.S. 535 (1894); Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252 (1886); United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U.S. 542 (1875). However, the court has ruled that the second amendment codifies a pre-existing individual right to possess and carry firearms, which is not in any manner dependent on the Constitution for its existence.[13][/sup] See District of Columbia et al. v. Heller (2008). Because Cruickshank, Presser, and Miller predated the Supreme Court's modern incorporation cases, it now appears to be an open question as to whether the Second Amendment applies to the states. The issue is currently pending in the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in the case of Nordyke v. King.[14][/sup]

cato

imported post

No video or audio recording devices will be allowed in the hearing. Have the US Marshalls arrest you and you'll have good standing to challenge the policy. :p

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Haha, nice. I'll try to attend the oral arguments but I can't guarantee anything.

cato

imported post

JeepinCalifornia wrote:
For those of us who would "like" to be there, but cannot, is there something [else] we can do to help this specific matter? Letters/emails to council and/or judges, etc?

At this point I don't think so. Join Calguns.net, support the Calguns Foundation and NRA in Ca., support our false arrestees when that happens, and stay in the fight.

Learn to UOC "smart" (have the brochures, dept. memos., recorder and friendlies intow)and do so as often as possible (and 5-10 K for a retainer as back up).

SOneThreeCoupe

imported post

I'm not going for financial and personal reasons.

The majority of the membership of Calguns are excessively cautious and overly politically conservative, with too much respect for the government and too little willingness to accept things like open carry, at this point or ever.

Freedom never sleeps and never has an agenda. There either is or is not freedom, we should never accept a so-called "degree" of freedom.

I understand that fighting in increments is their plan, but for every long step forward we take, we're knocked two back. We need other friends, and a willingness to fight with dirty defendants if necessary. They aren't willing.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

SOneThreeCoupe wrote:
I'm not going for financial and personal reasons.

The majority of the membership of Calguns are excessively cautious and overly politically conservative, with too much respect for the government and too little willingness to accept things like open carry, at this point or ever.

Freedom never sleeps and never has an agenda. There either is or is not freedom, we should never accept a so-called "degree" of freedom.

I understand that fighting in increments is their plan, but for every long step forward we take, we're knocked two back. We need other friends, and a willingness to fight with dirty defendants if necessary. They aren't willing.
I disagree. I think the CalGuns Foundation is very liberty-oriented. There are a few very loud dissenting opinions among the crowd on the forum, but that's to be expected. I think CGF has proven it backs open carry. It has financially/legally in the past, and those in charge have expressed moral support on top of that.

I do like your ideas on freedom. However, we have a monumental war to fight. We have to pick our battles. We can't live by the motto "Live Free or Die," or we will certainly soon find all the patriots are dead. We live in a police state. Our ancestors allowed the government to slowly and methodically disarm the people and lull them into apathy. We are out-manned and out-gunned. A stand-up fight is not the way to win here.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SOneThreeCoupe wrote:
+1000000

Edit: Why do you think I never post there, CA_Libertarian? :p

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

If you ever read over there, you may have noticed a lot more of the general forum members are coming around to accepting the idea. As I said before, those that sharply criticize OC are few, but loud. Luckily it seems the people that matter (e.g. Calguns Foundation and the Madison Society) are receptive to the idea.