• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roses Department Store's - Criminal Safe Zone

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Went to Roses Department store here on the EasternShore last night and saw a new no firearms sign on front of store. Also the wording on the sign appears to say theythink they control the parking lot and surrounding area of the strip mall. Wonder what other stores there think about that.

I have been going to Roses for years andnow will not return.Since this is the only discount department Storewe have on the shore will have to plan on more trips across Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to Norfolk and VA Beach.Extra 60 miles plus toll but won't giveRoses another dime. Walmart has bought property to build but hasn't started construction in two years.

:cuss:

TFred

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Went to Roses Department store here on the EasternShore last night and saw a new no firearms sign on front of store. Also the wording on the sign appears to say theythink they control the parking lot and surrounding area of the strip mall. Wonder what other stores there think about that.

I have been going to Roses for years andnow will not return.Since this is the only discount department Storewe have on the shore will have to plan on more trips across Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to Norfolk and VA Beach.Extra 60 miles plus toll but won't giveRoses another dime. Walmart has bought property to build but hasn't started construction in two years.

Having a near monopoly is probably about the only way that store could stay in business. We have one in my town, but it's scheduled for demolition.

TFred

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In the mid-late '90's Roses sold lots or great milsurp stuff at great prices: Swede Mausers, .303 Brits and Mosin-Nagants in good to VG condition for $100 or less. Also occasionally had M-1 rifles and carbines for good prices. Store was definitely pro-2A, but was bought out some years ago by a firm from NC, I think. This company was hyper- Christian and supposedly closed out their (probably very profitable) firearms unit because it didn't fit their "firearms are evil" mindset. FWIW, the store here in Yorktown subsequently lost most of its customers, and is now circling the bowl for the last few times.....
:uhoh:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
In the mid-late '90's Roses sold lots or great milsurp stuff at great prices: Swede Mausers, .303 Brits and Mosin-Nagants in good to VG condition for $100 or less. Also occasionally had M-1 rifles and carbines for good prices. Store was definitely pro-2A, but was bought out some years ago by a firm from NC, I think. This company was hyper- Christian and supposedly closed out their (probably very profitable) firearms unit because it didn't fit their "firearms are evil" mindset. FWIW, the store here in Yorktown subsequently lost most of its customers, and is now circling the bowl for the last few times.....
Hyper-Christian = anti-gun? I beg to differ!

I know lots of Christians (being one myself) but don't know any anti-gun ones. Always see folks from church at the gun shows, have been hunting with Sunday School classes, and even bought a pistol from our former pastor.

:cool:

BTW, over the years, I've bought an SKS and an AK from Roses. At least one of those was from the Yorktown store, but I don't think I've been in there more than once since they quit sellling guns.

Darylvb

imported post

DrMark wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
Hyper-Christian = anti-gun? I beg to differ!

I know lots of Christians (being one myself) but don't know any anti-gun ones. Always see folks from church at the gun shows, have been hunting with Sunday School classes, and even bought a pistol from our former pastor.

:cool:

BTW, over the years, I've bought an SKS and an AK from Roses. At least one of those was from the Yorktown store, but I don't think I've been in there more than once since they quit sellling guns.
I too am a Fundamental, Bible believing Christian and very pro-gun. We have a group of around 30people from church whogo to Blueridge Arsenal in Chantillyevery month. Don't know where the person gets the idea that Christians believe "firearms are evil". Upsurd! We gaveour pastor a handgun for his birthday a couple years ago.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
I have been going to Roses for years andnow will not return.

Sounds like a good decision. Did you contact the store to let them know they lost a long time customer due to their new policy? I like to make sure a business knows when I walk away with my wallet. :)

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
Wolf_shadow wrote:
I have been going to Roses for years andnow will not return.

Sounds like a good decision. Did you contact the store to let them know they lost a long time customer due to their new policy? I like to make sure a business knows when I walk away with my wallet. :)
Yes I have emailed corporate HQ also.

TFred

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Nearly all demonations are anti gun and some are anti military.
The Episcopal church has even stopped investing it's money in companies that make eqipment for the military

http://blogs.rep-am.com/matters_of_faith/?p=149

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3654_48610_ENG_HTM.htm
The first cited article has a short list, of mostly liberal denominations. Don't even get me started on the National Council of Churches. They are to traditional orthodox denominations what the American Hunters and Shooters Association is to the NRA.

TFred

acrimsontide

imported post

From the Rose's stores that I have seen, they can't afford to lose customers for any reason

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

sent:

I have noticed you have a "no guns" sign at the entrance to your store on the Eastern Shore in Virginia. I will not be shopping at your store. Bad guys don't follow the rules of such signs and all the good guys would be unarmed. I hope you reconsider. Meanwhile, I won't come to your store and I will encourage my family and friends to do the same.

Thanks,

Ed Levine

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I came back to this thred after a gap of a few days, and I realize that I offended some of our posters. On re-reading my post, I see that my remarks were not appropriate, and for that, I apologize. I was painting with too broad a brush and made it seem as though devout Christians were typically anti-gun. That was intemperate of me, and I am sorry.

I was raised Christian, and so were my daughters, so I am certainly not anti-Christian. My remarks were based on a conversation I had with a Roses employee after the change of ownership. She said the new owners had a conference with the regular employees, and made it clear they wanted a more "family-oriented" store, and among other things, would not market guns, since deadly weapons had no place in a family store. The employee used some term like "radical Christian" or some such thing to describe them, saying they were "the pacifist types", who thought guns were symbolic of evil. FWIW, the "mainstream" Methodist church my family attended at that time was endorsing a world wide movement to outlaw the production and sale of handguns, for essentially the same reason, which gave me heartburn and made it difficult for me to continue pledging to that church.

Anyway, the above remarks are only to explain the reason behind my post, not to excuse my poor judgment in choice of the terms.

TFred

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I came back to this thred after a gap of a few days, and I realize that I offended some of our posters. On re-reading my post, I see that my remarks were not appropriate, and for that, I apologize. I was painting with too broad a brush and made it seem as though devout Christians were typically anti-gun. That was intemperate of me, and I am sorry.

I was raised Christian, and so were my daughters, so I am certainly not anti-Christian. My remarks were based on a conversation I had with a Roses employee after the change of ownership. She said the new owners had a conference with the regular employees, and made it clear they wanted a more "family-oriented" store, and among other things, would not market guns, since deadly weapons had no place in a family store. The employee used some term like "radical Christian" or some such thing to describe them, saying they were "the pacifist types", who thought guns were symbolic of evil. FWIW, the "mainstream" Methodist church my family attended at that time was endorsing a world wide movement to outlaw the production and sale of handguns, for essentially the same reason, which gave me heartburn and made it difficult for me to continue pledging to that church.

Anyway, the above remarks are only to explain the reason behind my post, not to excuse my poor judgment in choice of the terms.
Thanks, I appreciate your follow up. There are certainly some denominations that view themselves as pacifists, and would proudly claim an anti-gun label. Amish, Quakers, Brethren, to name a few. They are entitled to exist in the United States, just as much as anyone else, but of course, without the others who are willing to take up arms, that entitlement doesn't stretch very far.

One of the quandries of being an American I guess. ;)

TFred

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I came back to this thred after a gap of a few days, and I realize that I offended some of our posters...
If you're thinking I was offended, I was not. (though I do appreciate your words)

I was simply sharing my opinions, which are based in part on my experiences.

I believe American Christians are generally pro-gun, more Ronald Reagan than Hillary Clinton. I keep hearing about some political force called "the Christian Right," but never "the Christian Left."