• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picked up a Tasco Red Dot

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I picked up a Tasco 42mm Red Dot scope today, thinking I would put it on my 10/22. Well it turns out it's made to fit on a standard weaver/picatinny rail, not the dovetail on the 10/22. I know I can get a rail for the 10/22, but now I'm wondering if I should just put it on my Mossberg 500. I'd rather have an open, holographic type sight for the shotgun, but this Red Dot seems to work, all though it looks a little funny.

So what do you guys think? Leave it on the shotty, or get the rail for the Ruger?

Tasco-BKRD42RGD-2T.jpg

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I guess the question really is: why are you putting optics on your scattergun?

Is it for fun?

Really, a shotgun is for breaching or utilizing the buckshot, if you're using it LIKE a rifle then GET a rifle and put the optics on that.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I guess the question really is: why are you putting optics on your scattergun?

Is it for fun?

Really, a shotgun is for breaching or utilizing the buckshot, if you're using it LIKE a rifle then GET a rifle and put the optics on that.

Breaching and buckshot, huh? That's it? Sooo...hunting is out of the question? What about self-defense at close to medium range? Oh, and then there's birds...what would you use to shoot them out of the air?:?

Anyway I consider my mossy an all-purpose shotgun, if there is such a thing. I want it to be practical for taking deer with slug and shot, shooting tactical matches, self defense, and maybe even taking bird for all I know. The brass bead is great for aerial targets, but I'd like to have something like a holographic sight for ground targets.

Not having any experience with big red dots scope-sights, I'm not sure if it would be practical on the mossy, or if I need to hold out for a true holographic open sight.

Carnivore

imported post

Pretty much useless on the shotgun.. Next time you go out to shoot several turkey/dove/heavy upland game loads, go down range after each brand is shot and pick up your wad cups, you'll most likely find that the four fingers of individual brand wad cups vary from shell to shell on how wide the wad fingers are, thus releasing control of the shot from the wad cup very differently to throw different patterns favoring left/right/high/low.

Now buckshot or slugs mayfly more consistent, or other specific brands may be more specific on their manufacturing standards of these wad cups, But I'll never trust Federal Turkey loads again after what I found out several years ago patterning my 1100.. also some lesser quality reddots won't hold up to Magnum load recoil.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Pretty much useless on the shotgun.. Next time you go out to shoot several turkey/dove/heavy upland game loads, go down range after each brand is shot and pick up your wad cups, you'll most likely find that the four fingers of individual brand wad cups vary from shell to shell on how wide the wad fingers are, thus releasing control of the shot from the wad cup very differently to throw different patterns favoring left/right/high/low.

Now buckshot or slugs mayfly more consistent, or other specific brands may be more specific on their manufacturing standards of these wad cups, But I'll never trust Federal Turkey loads again after what I found out several years ago patterning my 1100.. also some lesser quality reddots won't hold up to Magnum load recoil.

So basically you're saying that most 12-gauge bird shot is so inconsistent that using a sight is pointless? :?

As far as not holding up, I was wondering about that, butthe box says it'srated "for shotguns up to 3 inch shells".

Thundar

imported post

I have a couple of Mossberg 500s and I tried using a red dot for shooting slugs. Pretty damn near useless. It did stay on when I used Loctite.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:
I have a couple of Mossberg 500s and I tried using a red dot for shooting slugs. Pretty damn near useless. It did stay on when I used Loctite.
Good word. I appreciate the example and opinion based on personal experience. Sounds like I'll be throwing it on the ruger!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
DreQo wrote:
So what do you guys think?
Tasco-BKRD42RGD-2T.jpg
I would go get your money back. I can't think of a more useless piece of junk to put on a perfectly good long gun. Good luck!
You really don't think it'd be useful on a Ruger 10/22?? Why is that?

FogRider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
You really don't think it'd be useful on a Ruger 10/22?? Why is that?
It would.

I have a couple of Tasco ProPoints (big brother to what you have), and I like them. They are on my Contender pistol barrels, but I'm shooting rifle rounds (7-30 Waters and .223 Rem.), and I can take them out to several hundred yards easy.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Unscrew the clamps, reverse them, put them on the standard dovetail of your 10/22. Works great. I have one on my 10/22. Not good for accurate shooting, but fun for quick shots. I bought one out of curiosity more than anything else. Mine is a BSA, but it looks just like yours, and seems to be a generic model that is rebranded by several companies.

Plus it looks "tacticool" with the folding stock and hi cap mag. Makes libs wet their panties.:p

FogRider

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
...Not good for accurate shooting...
Really? With mine I can shoot plenty accurate. The only reason I lose accuracy is at 100yd when I crank up the dot intensity for bright sunlight the dot is as big as the targets.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Unscrew the clamps, reverse them, put them on the standard dovetail of your 10/22. Works great. I have one on my 10/22. Not good for accurate shooting, but fun for quick shots. I bought one out of curiosity more than anything else. Mine is a BSA, but it looks just like yours, and seems to be a generic model that is rebranded by several companies.

Plus it looks "tacticool" with the folding stock and hi cap mag. Makes libs wet their panties.:p
Oh snap, you're right! It works! But now I no longer have an excuse to buy that tactical rail handguard thingy :D. Oh well. I'll have to see how it shoots in the next few days.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Let me rephrase that, I get tighter groups with a scope, but faster target acquisition with the red dot. The red dot is accurate, but I would favor a scope for precision work.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

Oh snap, you're right! It works! But now I no longer have an excuse to buy that tactical rail handguard thingy :D. Oh well. I'll have to see how it shoots in the next few days.
Heheh. When I bought my BSA it had those instructions with it, and specified it would work with Weaver or Picatinny rails.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
DreQo wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

Heheh. When I bought my BSA it had those instructions with it, and specified it would work with Weaver or Picatinny rails.
So I may still have an excuse for the rail! lol