• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a Walther PPK/S 380

bradco

imported post

I am picking up a used Walther PPK/S this week, any comments on reliability and reputation here. It will be backup carry to my G27

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Sounds like you know what you want. Just to throw another option into the mix, have you looked at the Kahr P9/K9/CW9? It and the Walther are the main offerings in that size/caliber.

bradco

imported post

Thanks also wanted to mention well ask, is $399.00 good price for used one in great condition

drkarrow

imported post

In 75+ years, the gun has shown to stand the test of time.

But it is large, heavy, and dated. I'd prefer a Kel-Tec P-3AT myself. But some people prefer that feel of heavy cold stainless steel in their hands over the plastic toy feel of the Kel-Tec.

bradco

imported post

drkarrow wrote:
In 75+ years, the gun has shown to stand the test of time.

But it is large, heavy, and dated. I'd prefer a Kel-Tec P-3AT myself. But some people prefer that feel of heavy cold stainless steel in their hands over the plastic toy feel of the Kel-Tec.
Yes I looked at the Kel-Tec and of course the newly revised Ruger LCP but I am an oldie but goodie type of guy, and also grew up with Bond and Cowboy movies, which nextpurchase will be a Colt Revolver.

SHOOTER13

imported post

I highly recommend the Walther PPK/s in .380acp. I bought the one pictured below used from a friend a few years ago, and carried it often. It is very reliable with Corbon ammo, due to the blowback design and very stiff spring,the high velocity of the ammo helped reliably cycle the action. This one was made in West Germany in 1972...the Pachmyer grips help too, as I didn't like the original plastic checkered ones that came with it. Price was $300 with two magazines and original box.

WALTHERPPKssmall-1.jpg

WALTHERPPKs.jpg

bradco

imported post

Thanks guys, I went in today and found out it is an Interarms model, I will be picking it up on Saturday and will post pics before cleaning and taking it out for a test.

stanicus

imported post

I highly advise against the Walther PPK. I picked one up and had nothing but problems. Frequent jams. Magazine release and slide release is the same button. Kicks as hard as a Beretta 9mm.And it bites the webbing on your thumb/hand. For less than the PPK, you can get a Bersa Thunder .380. It is a much more balanced and accurate firearm. Depending on where you are, it may also go by the name Firestorm. The Bersa is also lighter and easier to carry.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

stanicus wrote:
I highly advise against the Walther PPK. I picked one up and had nothing but problems. Frequent jams. Magazine release and slide release is the same button. Kicks as hard as a Beretta 9mm.And it bites the webbing on your thumb/hand. For less than the PPK, you can get a Bersa Thunder .380. It is a much more balanced and accurate firearm. Depending on where you are, it may also go by the name Firestorm. The Bersa is also lighter and easier to carry.

Magazine release and slide release is the same button? What the crap are you talking about? The PPK and PPK/s do not have slide releases. Rather, the slide locks back on an empty magazine, and the magazine must be removed before the user racks the slide and releases it forward. With such silly statements, it's hard to take the rest of your post seriously...

Anyway I have had a PPK/s (S&W, stainless) since I was 18. There is something to say about a firearm design that has lasted as long as it has. It's not my favorite gun in the case, but I wont be selling it, either.

stanicus

imported post

DreQo wrote
Magazine release and slide release is the same button? What the crap are you talking about? The PPK and PPK/s do not have slide releases. Rather, the slide locks back on an empty magazine, and the magazine must be removed before the user racks the slide and releases it forward. With such silly statements, it's hard to take the rest of your post seriously...

Anyway I have had a PPK/s (S&W, stainless) since I was 18. There is something to say about a firearm design that has lasted as long as it has. It's not my favorite gun in the case, but I wont be selling it, either.

WOW! Angry much???

After the slide locks back on an empty magazine and you load a new magazine. The slide does not automatically release and load a round. Again, mine appeared to have some sort of mechanical flaw, so it might not have operated like yours. So jumping the integrity of my post is always a good option. God forbid he hear both side of a story on the firearm he is about to purchase. How very republican of you.

I stand by my claim that Bersa makes a better .380 than Walther. But what do I know, i've only owned both of them.

***Stands back and waits for the counter attack***
(whatever insult your going to use now, please make it a good one)

Lykosis

imported post

If you have big hands, or have a tendancy to limp wrist a few shots, I would not recommend the PPK or PPK/S. I had no trouble shooting the gun when I was a kid, but I didn't shoot it for about 16 years. I am now 26, and the first time I tried to shoot it, it cut the webbing of by hand. I have seen them jam on a lot of women. I shot the Bersa Thunder during the same session and had no problems.

If you have strong, medium sized hands, get the gun. Otherwise, you might have problems.

sprat

imported post

excellentchoice finally someone with a head on his shoulders, especially getting a german made piece the S&W copies are junk. IMHO I am fully trained smith and walther collector. I have been carrying one for over 10 years, nice and little and hardly prints

PP & PPK & PPK/S series are notorious for not feeding hollow points as they were not made for hollow points, your smith can take down( smooththe ramp with emery cloth and reblue for flawless function or use magtech FMJ .380 all FMJ fodder will work fine. get yourself a few extra mags from CDNNSPORTS.COM

Sprat

smash29

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
Sounds like you know what you want.  Just to throw another option into the mix, have you looked at the Kahr P9/K9/CW9?  It and the Walther are the main offerings in that size/caliber.

+1

The CW9 and CW40 don't cost much more than $400.

Alexcabbie

imported post

The comments on this thread are reminiscent of the comments on www.gundirectory.com about the piece. Thereis a lot ov variation since there are versions made in Germany by Carl Walther Waffenfabrik and under liscense by (now-defunct) Interarms and most recently by Smith and Wesson.

By far the S&W stainless PPK/s draws the most complaints, mine was a Jam-O-Matic right out of the box, double-feeds that locked the mag up and required a field-strip to clear, but these lessened as I choked more rounds thru it. I finally surmised that the tolerances on the stainless model were too tight so I sped up the break-in by removing the slide spring and making a improvised lapping compound from jeweler's rouge and Hoppes lube, applying it to the rails and grooves and working the slide back and forth Now the worst I get is having to give the slide a forward assist with my thumb about twice every 3 mags; and BTW mine handles JHP as well as it does FMJ.

It is VERY important not to limp-wrist this piece as it is a blow-back weapon and needs ton have a solid platform for the action-reaction thingie to happen in the gun and not in your wrist. All told as it is now I love my PPK/s and trust it with my life should God forbid the occasion arise.

As to the frame bite, this usually occurs on the first thumb joint and I consider it a mark of the true PPK man. Some dude was bragging about his lately and I asked to see his thumb and he right away knew what I meant. He proudly showed his welt and I showed him mine. Sorta like a secret handshake.

Speaking of which I need to get to the range and renew my membership credential....

Pacioli

imported post

I cannot recommend the PPK/S. I just sold mine. It was a Smith stainless. It jammed frequently. It may have been my fault, perhaps I limp-wristed it. But I lost faith in it, I no longer trust it to save my life.

I had a German blue that never failed me that I can recall. I lost it in a home burgulary several years ago. I wish I still had it, it was a wonderful firearm. The S&W just didn't perform like the old German.

I've also begun to question my(or your) ability to put enough small rounds on target in a panic situation to make the .380 a "show stopper." For now I'll rely on my 1911 while I shop for a carry weapon, nothing smaller than a .40.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Ever looked at (fired) aMakarov .380 or 9x18mm?Cheaper! 'Bullet don't care what fired it. 'Never had a jam... ever. (E. German mfg by E. Thalmann)