Thread: Lawyers

Post imported post

It's happened, out to dinner with your family, or in your home and someone breaks in, in the bank, however it went down, it's happened. If there is the slightest inkling that it may not have been self defense you will likely spend the next 24 hours in jail. Who do you call? Do you rely on the guy appointed to you, or do you know someone? Have you already paid a lawyer so he has to show up no matter what time you call him? Now is the time to think about it, not while your sitting behind bars, this goes hand in with carrying medical supplies. A lawyer is an important accessory, almost as much as your weapon and holster.

Post imported post

Well, in Georgia at least, Doug King is highly recommended. I don't carry his business card but his number is in my cellphone and on my emergency list on the refrigerator. He would be the first person I called for a consultation or a referral for something that wasn't his specialty.

Post imported post

There should be a sticky thread in each of the state forums with a list of recommended lawyers who specialize in (or at least are familiar with and supportive of) firearms rights and armed self defense cases. Let's all work on gathering this information!

Post imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
    It's happened, out to dinner with your family, or in your home and someone breaks in, in the bank, however it went down, it's happened. If there is the slightest inkling that it may not have been self defense you will likely spend the next 24 hours in jail. Who do you call? Do you rely on the guy appointed to you, or do you know someone? Have you already paid a lawyer so he has to show up no matter what time you call him? Now is the time to think about it, not while your sitting behind bars, this goes hand in with carrying medical supplies. A lawyer is an important accessory, almost as much as your weapon and holster.
    It would helpful to add your state to your profile, because state laws differ so widely. For instance, in Colorado, we don't have to worry about being wrongly arrested in a case of self defense. Unless the police have pretty good evidence that a shooting was in fact not self defense, our "Make my Day" law makes it pretty much impossible to be arrested.

Post imported post

I have a very good attorney who handles my personal and corporate business, is very familiar with firearms laws and knows I carry and carries himself. We have discussed the matter of "what if" I ever had to use it in self-defense.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    I have a very good attorney who handles my personal and corporate business, is very familiar with firearms laws and knows I carry and carries himself.Â*Â* We have discussed the matter of "what if" I ever had to use it in self-defense.
    What has he told you to do in the event you do have to defend yourself? Has he said shut up till he gets there, or tell the cops everything?

Post imported post

Basically to go ahead and give a preliminary statement only as to the basic facts of what happened if I am comfortable doing so. If I do not feel comfortable, reach a point I am not comfortable or LE starts pushing for answers or becoming aggressive with questions to invoke my right to counsel. That is assuming that I believe I am completely righteous in my actions such as an unprovoked attack by a BG.

If I was involved in any issue, say a verbal altercation, with the BG before I used my firearm, or have any doubt that my actions or carry were completely righteous, I am to shut up and invoke counsel from the start. If I have any doubt as to which type of situation it is I am to invoke counsel from the start.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    Basically to go ahead and give a preliminary statement only as to the basic facts of what happened if I am comfortable doing so. If I do not feel comfortable, reach a point I am not comfortable or LE starts pushing for answers or becoming aggressive with questions to invoke my right to counsel. That is assuming that I believe I am completely righteous in my actions such as an unprovoked attack by a BG.

If I was involved in any issue, say a verbal altercation, with the BG before I used my firearm, or have any doubt that my actions or carry were completely righteous, I am to shut up and invoke counsel from the start. If I have any doubt as to which type of situation it is I am to invoke counsel from the start.
    Excellent advice
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    deepdiver wrote:

Excellent advice
    Even better adivce would be to lawyer up from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

I would go with shut up and get a lawyer. It's to easy to stick your foot in your mouth. Things poorly said, cannot be unsaid.